Author Topic: Mod stealing  (Read 7593 times)

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
Mod stealing
« on: August 18, 2007, 01:29:44 pm »
So what really annoys me is where some complete newb posts a mod... and it's just an accumilation of other peoples content put together badly.

That's not a mod... that's a f*cking waste of space.

I mean.. it's fine if someone asks permission before reusing content.. But even if you're colouring in someone elses outlines without permission.. that's still just lazy and in my mind it's still theft.

So what can be done? Because it annoys the hell out of me to see peoples hard work just being thrown together and passed off as someone elses work.. hell, it's happened to me twice and I've only made one mod so far.

I propose forming a list of 'approved modders' who essentially have no history of it and make all of their mods from scratch (which is how I think every true modder should work)

and of course then only approved modders would have their mods featured in the 1.4 mod archive

So yeah... this is just an idea really..

Thoughts?
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline Will

• Flagrunner
Re: Mod stealing
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 01:34:42 pm »
I have to admit, I've done some such things, but I always asked permission, and credited teh authors if I couldn't contact them. Meh, it's better if you haven't seen my noobish beginnings on soldatmods.tk. (in terms of modding) I think this is a pretty cool idea, but most people don't put so much work in their mods. Only really good modders with some generally aproved mod(s) should be in that list.

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 01:39:01 pm »
I have to admit, I've done some such things, but I always asked permission, and credited teh authors if I couldn't contact them.

That's not the problem... the problem is people who post a mod and don't mention a thing about giving credit or asking permission until someone notices that it's been copied from another mod.. at which point the "modder" says.. oh I took a few guns from a few mods.. can't remember which ones.. blaah.. We've seen it plenty of times.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 02:31:42 pm »
I am extremely individualist, can be called alienat, outsider, almost sociopathic in nature, so I just cant use someone's work because isn't way to full  satisfaction, maybe faster, helpful to better modding, but I really hate that supporting way.
So I like more that masochistic hours, sometimes in pain to discover how to be better, more pro, almost regular modding god. I always accept weak and strong parts of my mods because I known how make my creations better, just time, practice and imagination, inspiration from my inside.
I never blame newbie or other modder because he stealed my work because my style cant be loony with other. Other members of community flame that modder, I can warning him about stealing, modyfing without permission if really neccessary, that's all, but I really adimit that Mangled's idea, but improved like Hall of Fame, online stats with mods and autors with amount of points, + for individual, creative work and - for copying, stealing parts without permission.
Modder who get limit of - automatically go to Hall of Shame section where can collect more negative points, but can leave that place if make really his work, his awful history still cant be cleared, everyone can view his sins in his profile. This will be special page, online rank for everyone's own satisfaction with modder's profile and mod's profile with external DL links, description and screenshots.
Mod's authencity can be rated by users or admins, moderators judges to prevent stealing/forging mods. Every user can  send special message/warning to Judges to report possible stealing/copying without permission or applause because original, self-maded work, after that stealer, counterfeiter have negative points, original  artist positive points and special note added in modder's activity history. This can be just mods  archive, where other modders can publish his mods and be rated as at most Soldat pages with modding pages, but improved on "white" and "black" list. ;)

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 02:44:55 pm »
Sometimes I just have a good day for modding. For ex. lastly I reshaded my old Makarow and make it in 7 versions without any problems but one day later I tried to make few guns and only two from six look good. Sometimes I've got really big problems with guns. One day I spend ~2 hours to make outlines of RPK drum magazine. Sometimes I use someones outlines 'cause I think that they're too good lookin' and that I can't nake better ones and that it has no sense to spend few hours to realize that it has no sense.

Offline TBDM

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 02:57:43 pm »
i think mods should be looked at by a mod-admin before it can be posted.
(by people who know allot of modding)

stealing other peoples work pisses me off. just proves how lazy some can be (and retarded to think we wont find out)

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 02:58:58 pm »
Ok, but mostly you always say who is original creator and you recoloured weapon/used someones outline in public information, so everyone known it (like your BF2 mod), not combinatory with hiding that fact or not giving fully weapon's source, so all is ok.
Newbie ripper is stealer when didn't credit author, when he make that, is best if he make most of mod (90% as you say) by his original work, also writing only names of used mods isn't a credit to author! ;)

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2007, 03:10:46 pm »
Ok, but mostly you always say who is original creator and you recoloured weapon/used someones outline in public information, so everyone known it (like your BF2 mod)

I really didn't put all credits  ::) I'll do it with full mod for sure!

Maybe you don't know that but AK-74U is made using Dairys outlines. As I good remember I used SKs MP7 outlines. Rest I wrote at my topic.

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
  • (F)ornication (U)nder (C)onsent of the (K)ing
    • http://www.soldatforums.com/index.php?topic=571.0
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2007, 11:58:34 am »
Ok, but mostly you always say who is original creator and you recoloured weapon/used someones outline in public information, so everyone known it (like your BF2 mod)

I really didn't put all credits ::) I'll do it with full mod for sure!

Maybe you don't know that but AK-74U is made using Dairys outlines. As I good remember I used SKs MP7 outlines. Rest I wrote at my topic.

And did you credit me ? ...did you even ask ? ? ?
I don't think so...but I'm not an idiot and I don't really care. Because all what I make I release for community and I'm not so cocky and selfish.
This topic is just useless and for whiners. Do you think you're a great modders ? Who said so ? Why you judge others even if they didn't took your guns ? Why you didn't contact the owner of the guns otherwise than just flame the hell the newscomers...You looks like you all started as pros and released epic mods ....as I saw you're just whining about thing which is so usuall on internet...if somebody cracks\hacks games music movie or whatever mdon't say that you bought all your games. And the big companies can't do nothing against it...piraci...maybe a wrong example but just think about yourselfs... give to the new modders tips, tutorials, send them links to guids...tell them tips tricks or quick plan of modding.... but you won't...you just make idiotic topic about in section which doesn't really contains the main modding topic... you're much more skilled than the modding newcomers so you should act so. Don't play like child ...crying a river in a freaking topic like this - let's make one against terrorism! (j\k)...well shame on this.

I thought if you're calling a respected modders you will act like that...and get more respect...but you just flame guys which are new to it... really cool. I wish you luck in next flaming the hell topic out of the place.

P.s.: No offence , don't take me wrong, but you dissapointed me...you all.

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2007, 12:01:52 pm »

Not yet...

I don't think so...but I'm not an idiot and I don't really care. Because all what I make I release for community and I'm not so cocky and selfish.
This topic is just useless and for whiners. Do you think you're a great modders ? Who said so ? Why you judge others even if they didn't took your guns ? Why you didn't contact the owner of the guns otherwise than just flame the hell the newscomers...You looks like you all started as pros and released epic mods ....as I saw you're just whining about thing which is so usuall on internet...if somebody cracks\hacks games music movie or whatever mdon't say that you bought all your games. And the big companies can't do nothing against it...piraci...maybe a wrong example but just think about yourselfs... give to the new modders tips, tutorials, send them links to guids...tell them tips tricks or quick plan of modding.... but you won't...you just make idiotic topic about in section which doesn't really contains the main modding topic... you're much more skilled than the modding newcomers so you should act so. Don't play like child ...crying a river in a freaking topic like this - let's make one against terrorism! (j\k)...well shame on this.

I thought if you're calling a respected modders you will act like that...and get more respect...but you just flame guys which are new to it... really cool. I wish you luck in next flaming the hell topic out of the place.

Damn... Must agree... :-[

*Btw: I think you're in not very good mood...  ;)

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2007, 12:07:00 pm »
Welll

Not yet...

Damn... Must agree... :-[

*Btw: I think you're in not very good mood... ;)

Well you don't have to...it's for you...It's for guys who want to be better in modding. I'm much more likely if guys become a pros from zeros. As everybody does.

Everybody should agree ...everybody should grow up and don't look on their works as a holy thing. DONT TOUCH IT !!! : \

I'm kind of in stress.But otherwise I have good mood. Only thing is I'm really angry on opinions like this. U're maybe right. It isn't so nice to see your work combined with others from a modders who don't know even ****....but you should be nice. It's a dissapoint.

I won't be so nice and stat the topics with 5 stars just to make everybody motivation and happyness...now I won't look on myself and be so unfriendly like you are... all thinks they are masters and can't be touched. That made me angry... more offensive opinion,critism,flaming and others...you will have it.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2007, 12:26:47 pm »
You looks like you all started as pros and released epic mods

Yes. And I spent a DAMN LONG TIME FUSSING over my mod and criticizing myself and it's an insult to people who take time to do stuff for the community for free.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2007, 01:14:58 pm »
You looks like you all started as pros and released epic mods

Yes. And I spent a DAMN LONG TIME FUSSING over my mod and criticizing myself and it's an insult to people who take time to do stuff for the community for free.

Do you think I mean your mods ? Are they epic ? ...even - everybody isn't so selfteaching as you can be....and I guess you know this forums much more than other modders (I guess you know the old forums too )... and even - you could give tips like you now mentioned.... TAKE TIME or TRY HARDER or whatever. Everybody can't get sources for pixel art...

I hate this on you all - you judge others by your image. Mirror effect ? Or how I could call it... you think if you did it - all can do the same ?

I'm not offensive, but I wanna see some more discipline ...mental adult don't do such a mess with\from things like these...

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2007, 01:54:18 pm »
Are they epic ?

Hey man, I'm trying ;)

I dunno what FMBM is gonna say on this matter though, Dairy.
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2007, 01:59:56 pm »
Are they epic ?

Hey man, I'm trying ;)

I dunno what FMBM is gonna say on this matter though, Dairy.

Ye...and he's trying too...maybe not so hard as you...and that's the reasson for help, not flame.

It's eye-beating (everybody can see) that you're trying...that's your (+)

I quess he even won't ever read this whole topic because of the stupidity...but I can make you sure he wasn't other...he was just usuall newcomer and he made it to this level of modding quality (NOBODY flamed him...or if yes, not so hard as you and there were even nice people)... it's possible... but with some more motivation... 

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2007, 02:05:30 pm »
Well Dairy, it's kinda like this. Sure I'm (and everyone) is willing to listen to you since you have something to show for it and you're reasonable. Even Bunney, sure he's...not so proficient at modding either, but he's willing to take advice and immediately make reparations to any mistakes he wasn't aware of, and so we never got mad at his attempts. As for that Zabjubulububub whats-his-face guy, which is kinda what got this thread kicked up in the first place (and also why Dairy's actively posting in this thread now) is someone who believes HE is faultless. THOSE kinds of people get me riled up you know?
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2007, 02:09:11 pm »
Dairy, you seem to have misunderstood what we're discussing.

Fact is it's already forum regulation that you're not already allowed to post mods with other peoples content. But that is only limited to these very forums.

This isn't about punishing noobs who don't know but it's about rewarding people who work hard on their mods and deserve to have something to show for it.

Dairy... there's alot of great modders in the community, and without doubt you're one of the best of them, and it's very noble of you to not give a damn if someone rips off your work, but people differ in opinion... I only suggested this as a way of seperating the pro's from the lame. Not by crapping on noobs.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 02:11:08 pm by Mangled* »

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2007, 02:09:27 pm »
Well Dairy, it's kinda like this. Sure I'm (and everyone) is willing to listen to you since you have something to show for it and you're reasonable. Even Bunney, sure he's...not so proficient at modding either, but he's willing to take advice and immediately make reparations to any mistakes he wasn't aware of, and so we never got mad at his attempts. As for that Zabjubulububub whats-his-face guy, which is kinda what got this thread kicked up in the first place (and also why Dairy's actively posting in this thread now) is someone who believes HE is faultless. THOSE kinds of people get me riled up you know?

If nobody would JUDGE him...and just say it's not good or some FRIENDLY critism it would be much nicier.... I'm not telling he is the one who has to be covered but I want from older forumers to be more informative to the new ones.... how would you act if everybody would be offensive on the start of your modding carreer ?

And...please, don't mention Bunney.

Dairy, you seem to have misunderstood what we're discussing.

Fact is it's already forum regulation that you're not already allowed to post mods with other peoples content. But that is only limited to these very forums.

This isn't about punishing noobs who don't know but it's about rewarding people who work hard on their mods and deserve to have something to show for it.

How you know that they would be so upset? ....if yes why you didn't PM them to ask them for FLAME ...not you. U'ren't in position for flaming someone... you can give him tip that it isn't good. I've got the point but there is something what is angrying me more that the bad-way of his mod and his answers...you were offensive so I don't see any reasson why he shouldn't be...

And even - It's a little info about the mods...some people could get interested into full mod not just one gun...it's prosperive for the main creator even...maybe. And the bad thing what dissapoined me most is this topic...

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2007, 02:14:22 pm »
Right, as Mangled said, back on topic. General regulations, sure I think mod stealing is an offense. But what are you gonna do about it? BanHammer em? Meh, I think the best would be to just have this discussion, but otherwise, everyone in the modding community pretty much knows each other and having a 'preferred modders list' would be bureaucracy that makes enemies.
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2007, 02:19:42 pm »
Right, as Mangled said, back on topic. General regulations, sure I think mod stealing is an offense. But what are you gonna do about it? BanHammer em? Meh, I think the best would be to just have this discussion, but otherwise, everyone in the modding community pretty much knows each other and having a 'preferred modders list' would be bureaucracy that makes enemies.

As for me...I don't wanna make enemies but if it's necessaty.(or how it writes) Your angle of looking of 'preferred modders list' would be much bigger if you could know how... I was nice to ALL newscomers....Skykanded,Bunney,Tempest...only them I can remember...Shivorked used the graphic of Papasurf too (maybe with agree from PS but he knew how it is ....he's an older forumer) There were a lot of modders like the Zabijaka...