Poll

Good idea / Bad idea

Good Idea
10 (55.6%)
Bad Idea
8 (44.4%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Sound Support  (Read 2895 times)

Offline spkka

• Camper
Sound Support
« on: August 22, 2007, 05:09:49 am »
What about server sided wav support to import and play them ingame.
With ofcourse a maximum megabytes a server can have, to make them not that big and slow to load. Wav or Ogg whatever would be wikked.  ;)

I haven´t seen this suggestion yet or im really blind lol but it would be so kick ass if we had it.

I don´t need it to be happy and stay playing soldat but, just lets discuss this here...
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 09:57:00 am by spkka »

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
Re: Sound Support
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 05:31:11 am »
You mean gun sounds or modules?

Offline spkka

• Camper
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 05:53:06 am »
what ever you like. More like with scripting, so we can trigger sounds that can be played ingame and heard by other players aswell.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 06:03:16 am »
And imported weapons too, so we can have modded servers like: Zombie server!! With the gosteks of zombies and file "Txt" like this: Replace "Alpha team scores" for "Humans team scores!" And the weapons too. So we can have "GTA San Andreas mod server. With CJ as a alpha gostek and Bravo with a police gostek. Weapons/sounds modded too. All in a temporal folder.

Note: Virus can be transfered... that's a problem. We should have like an antivirus...

Offline ghg

• Camper
  • Village Idiot
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 06:26:24 am »
That and a mass of retarded noob servers with Linken Park playing with MsPaint gosteks.
-=Gradius wuz you=-

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 06:35:03 am »
That and a mass of retarded noob servers with Linken Park playing with MsPaint gosteks.
Well... agree. But add an option in the Setup: Download Server custom mods? Y/N.

Offline spkka

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 06:42:17 am »
well maybe a limitation to the file size would avoid such things. And a sound file doesn't have to be big at all.

Well... agree. But add an option in the Setup: Download Server custom mods? Y/N.
yup something like that yes.. ppl should be able to choose wether or not to use the custom mods.
this would need to change sth in the lobby then or sth. I dunno
I can imagine implementing this would take lots of work.
I don't know, but probably its to much work for the devs to add this feature but its fun to discuss :P

Offline sai`ke

• Camper
  • Can't be arsed to remove christmas avatar
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 08:51:31 am »
Niko; Virii can't be transferred via audio files in any other way than they could be tranferred via map files. Besides, you can easily check the file whether it's an actual audio file code-wise.

And like spkka said, you could impose a size limit and use libvorbis for ogg support. The library costs nothing and OGGs compress really well at low bitrates. It would open a lot of doors and enable scripters to do more dynamic scripts.
#soldat.ttw #ttw.gather --- Quakenet!
http://ttwforums.com

Offline spkka

• Camper
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 06:01:08 am »
Niko; Virii can't be transferred via audio files in any other way than they could be tranferred via map files. Besides, you can easily check the file whether it's an actual audio file code-wise.

And like spkka said, you could impose a size limit and use libvorbis for ogg support. The library costs nothing and OGGs compress really well at low bitrates. It would open a lot of doors and enable scripters to do more dynamic scripts.

yeah, it would be wikked with scripting. Imagine custom sounds with hexer. Or on enesces tw servers etc..

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 10:13:45 am »
Imagine custom sounds with hexer. Or on enesces tw servers etc..
AMAZING!

Offline Jordak

• Major(1)
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 11:16:01 am »
what ever you like. More like with scripting, so we can trigger sounds that can be played ingame and heard by other players aswell.

...agreed
Having unfamiliar modded elements would be annoying for me.
I think it would be cool if in scripts like avarax's hexer, spells had an activation sound, or if kamikazes had a ticker that would speed up as they get closer to being in range.

or if in scripts like arcade madness, there was a maniacal laughter sound that would play in hunter mode whenever the player with the powered up weapon kills someone.

Since there isn't an option for this in the poll, I choose to delay my vote.

Offline spkka

• Camper
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 11:30:40 am »
It only would be annoying if the total filesize to download on each server is very very big. More like counterstrike were it takes up several minutes sometimes. And well i just disconnect from those servers and stay with the ones i like a lot.

Offline Jordak

• Major(1)
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 11:50:45 am »
...I'm kind of worried that servers I like a lot now would be ruined by obnoxious sounds and/or obnoxiously long download times.

Offline SirJamesaford

• Flagrunner
  • SirJamesaford is still in the early Beta stage.
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 11:51:48 am »
...I'm kind of worried that servers I like a lot now would be ruined by obnoxious sounds and/or obnoxiously long download times.

Hence my "no" vote....since ya never really know
And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
And if there is no room upon the hill
And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
Ill see you on the dark side of the moon

Offline spkka

• Camper
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 03:39:20 pm »
would an option to have a ´download custom sounds´ button.

anyway one of the devs should give some more info since we know shit about the soldat sound engine i think.

Greetz spkka

Offline ghg

• Camper
  • Village Idiot
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 01:58:27 pm »
It's Fmod (awesome system BTW). Want to know more? Then Google it.
-=Gradius wuz you=-

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
  • (F)ornication (U)nder (C)onsent of the (K)ing
    • http://www.soldatforums.com/index.php?topic=571.0
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 11:29:23 am »
What about server sided wav support to import and play them ingame.
With ofcourse a maximum megabytes a server can have, to make them not that big and slow to load. Wav or Ogg whatever would be wikked. ;)

I haven´t seen this suggestion yet or im really blind lol but it would be so kick ass if we had it.

I don´t need it to be happy and stay playing soldat but, just lets discuss this here...

I thought about this but with graphic download like - TW servers could have WW2 weapons download scripts and CS servers CS weapons...

Offline spkka

• Camper
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2007, 03:49:11 pm »
Michal could you maybe give us some more info about this?
Enesce said it was to much work. Can you confirm this?

Offline BRADEN

• Camper
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2007, 07:19:49 am »
And imported weapons too, so we can have modded servers like: Zombie server!! With the gosteks of zombies and file "Txt" like this: Replace "Alpha team scores" for "Humans team scores!" And the weapons too. So we can have "GTA San Andreas mod server. With CJ as a alpha gostek and Bravo with a police gostek. Weapons/sounds modded too. All in a temporal folder.

Note: Virus can be transfered... that's a problem. We should have like an antivirus...

CJ and Sweet vs Tenpenny, Pulaski and Hernadez... uber pwn.

Death is the solution to all problems. No man; no problem.
-Joseph Stalin