Author Topic: Steampunk Soldat Preview. (Update: 7/7)  (Read 4846 times)

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
Steampunk Soldat Preview. (Update: 7/7)
« on: May 17, 2008, 12:07:42 pm »
It's released HERE!

Okay, the mod is reaching it's finishing stages, and should be complete within the next 2 weeks. Right now it's slated to include:
1. Replacements for all interface weapons, Including the Flamer, m2, Rambo Bow, and Fist.
2. Replacements for all in game weapons sprites with the exception of bullets, and some other less important graphics.
3. A brand new greyscale Gostek, with everything but the headband changed.
4. A semi-new steampunk themed interface.
5. At least one new TW map.
6. A lovely back-story.

The Guns:
http://DoktorJesus.fileave.com/preview.PNG

1. Dual Dessoirs:
The popular weapon among airship pilots, due to numerous reasons, primarily though, they are simple to aim, easy to conceal, and are considered safe enough to fire in the cockpit of an airship. Testing has proven that although firing can risk control and technical components, firing doesn't risk breaching cabin pressure, and is very effective in fighting pirates, or in cases fending off Naval officials attempting to take a pirate ship. They were first made popular by Captain Jim Dessoir during the early years of the Great War.

2. LeClaire 22

3. Shura:
Based off of a stolen Russian weapon design the Japanese adopted this weapon as their main infantry gun when they entered The Great War in 1923. This weapon, dubbed the "Shura" by the soldier who wield was at the time of it's creation the greatest military infantry rifle in production. Although some current guns have surpassed it, it is still immensly useful, and has been adopted by many of the armies involved in the Great War.

4. Moirae

5. Faust

6. Falchion

7. Obsidian

8. Long Rifle

9. Arctur

0. Terminus:
A portable version of the chaingun mounted on most airships. Although heavy and hard to wield, this gun has proven unstoppable in the dense jungle situations where it has been placed. It also has the ability to be fired from a set position in a bunker to prevent enemy advancement. Theoretically, the gun could fire thousands of rounds without break, but a single soldier would be incapable of carrying the large amount of water needed to use it. So, the potable version rely's on moisture in the air which it collect in a tank during a fairly long 'reloading' period. It then uses this water to keep cool while firing.

A. Revolver

B. Bone Saw

C. Great Drill:
The weapon of the insane and bloodthirsty. The psychopath who wields this weapon must be in extreme close range to effectively kill, but the results are incredibly rewarding. Because the weapon is required to spin at high speeds, the users are also generally horribly burned while wielding it. This only adds to the drill user's reputation as a psychopath. Although little more is known about this weapon, as none have successfully, it is believed, from recovered bodies that the uses also bolts it directly to their wrist. The user is believed to take massive amounts of morphine to endure the pain. This is apparently what allows them to run, undaunted into their enemies' bullets in an attempt to kill them.

D. Faustpatrone:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 01:54:18 pm by Wraithlike »

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
  • (F)ornication (U)nder (C)onsent of the (K)ing
    • http://www.soldatforums.com/index.php?topic=571.0
Re: Steampunk Soldat Preview.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 12:23:24 pm »
1st row last one - totally on right. Pretty cool. But why they are like golden ?

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 12:31:40 pm »
It's not gold, It's brass. The idea is that it's advanced, but still low-tech. It also gives the weapons a more ornate look.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 01:54:26 pm »
Brass is a bit more greenish-hued, like on the 2nd row. ;)
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 01:55:38 pm »
The weapon pics look like they were taken from really old photographs.

And the 3rd one on the top row looks KIND OF like an AK. not bad, dude.

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 01:56:28 pm »
As said Dairy, it looks like gold

I really like last one in 1st row and 2nd one in 2nd row, they are fantastic

The shading is good and detailed enough, just change the colour of that brass parts

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 02:04:55 pm »
Longsaw is Lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng!

Will we be seeing a Kentucky [ahem, Pennsylvania] Rifle-inspired weapon?
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 06:22:34 pm »
Details is okay, but seriousley the colours are weird.  It would be pretty good if they were darker, and had only some brass parts.

I think this would look better as a normal mod, these weapons don't seem to say science fiction..

Date Posted: May 17, 2008, 07:21:34 pm
plus the saw is a rectangle :P 

Player since late 2007

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 06:27:46 pm »

Brass has a greenish hue when it's oxidized/weathered.  Polished brass is a different story.

Nice preview.  I'm interested to see the final product, as I haven't tried out a new mod in a while (hint hint).
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 06:47:24 pm »

Brass has a greenish hue when it's oxidized/weathered.  Polished brass is a different story.

Nice preview.  I'm interested to see the final product, as I haven't tried out a new mod in a while (hint hint).

You're right, but I think to achieve that real 'steampunk' feel you need to give that slight patina. Even polished, I think the current top row guns are a bit too... bright white-yellow.
CRYSO | HLT                        

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 06:58:26 pm »
I like j00r style
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline M.rSnow

• Camper
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 09:27:41 am »
Nice but i dont see how your going to make a succsessfull minigun.
Lapis: You need a vacation or a bullet though the head both works just fine by me.

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 10:17:28 am »
It would use steam, obviously.

I sort of expected less modern-day-ish weapons and more unique stuff with pipes and chains and flintlock, but this looks pretty damn cool. I can't suggest anything that hasn't already been said.
Steam ¤ Skype ¤ Soldat Wiki ¤ Need Help?
"Every thought you produce, anything you say, any action you do,
it bears your signature." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2008, 03:57:10 pm »
Damn.. and there I was thinking to myself I was going to make the first Steampunk soldat mod.

I'll be honest.. it doesn't exactly capture the Steampunk aesthetic... the middle row and bottom row are ok and I like the shapes of the top row but they are way too bright.

I don't think I'll make my mod anymore.
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 05:23:40 pm »
Damn.. and there I was thinking to myself I was going to make the first Steampunk soldat mod.

I'll be honest.. it doesn't exactly capture the Steampunk aesthetic... the middle row and bottom row are ok and I like the shapes of the top row but they are way too bright.

I don't think I'll make my mod anymore.

I've actually been working on re-coloring the top row. I made them with the thought of having an external plate of white gold or silver over the brass. Something like with would help prevent corrosion, and be functionally fit, but aesthetically, I hoped it would work out better, and I'm currently working on a recolor.

Edit: Updated. Re-did a good deal of teh weapons, and added some. Check the first post.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 04:25:53 pm by Wraithlike »

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
Re: Steampunk Soldat Preview. (Update: 5/24)
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 10:35:27 pm »
Looking great  :)
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 05:23:00 am »
well it seems okay...  Is that drill thing a new chainsaw? :P

overall its pretty awesome, now could someone perhaps explain abit about wtf steampunk is .. ?  lol xD

Player since late 2007

Offline Magus86

• Soldier
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2008, 10:43:49 am »
"The main theme of the mod is based on the steampunk subgenre of science fiction and focuses on modern technology based off of victorian era technology."

taken from first post...

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
Re: Steampunk Soldat Preview. (Update: 6/10)
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 12:11:22 am »
Update: Added New Pic, and first weapon info:

C. Great Drill:
The weapon of the insane and bloodthirsty. The psychopath who wields this weapon must be in extreme close range to effectively kill, but the results are incredibly rewarding. Because the weapon is required to spin at high speeds, the users are also generally horribly burned while wielding it. This only adds to the drill user's reputation as a psychopath. Although little more is known about this weapon, as none have successfully, it is believed, from recovered bodies that the uses also bolts it directly to their wrist. The user is believed to take massive amounts of morphine to endure the pain. This is apparently what allows them to run, undaunted into their enemies' bullets in an attempt to kill them.

Offline Kevin

• Soldier
Re: Steampunk Soldat Preview. (Update: 6/10)
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 05:56:04 pm »
I like the thermometer things on the backs of the weapons. They somehow add to the feeling.

Also: the Great Drill, huh? You might aswell change "boogieman" to "big daddy".

Or Boogiedaddy or Big boogieman.
Yeah.:)