Author Topic: The word of God  (Read 7717 times)

Offline Mangled*

• Flagrunner
  • Never Wrong
The word of God
« on: July 17, 2008, 07:12:23 pm »
So you probably just looked at the title and then looked at the name next to the thread and rolled your eyes and thought to yourself lets see what kind of anti-religious views Mangled* is spouting today.

But cast aside your preconceptions. This thread is not religion vs non-religion. This thread is about literal interpretations of scripture vs personal interpretations of scripture.

If you are religious do you take everything your religion says literally? That it is all absolute truth? If so why? Or do you take what is obviously in your personal opinion metaphorical or abstract and apply your own meaning to it? Give some examples if you can.

Perhaps you feel it's preposterous to believe everything literally as there's some obvious impossibilities and absurdities in most religious texts. Or Perhaps you feel it is wrong to apply personal meaning to Gods word, and that it is almost like filling in the blanks with whatever you want. Whatever your opinion is, share it with us.

Personally my opinion is divided quite evenly between the two... but I will be reserving my opinions until after the thread has progressed a little.

PS: I will not be responding to any posts made by BondJamesBond because he is stupid.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 02:04:59 pm by Mangled* »
"There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses." - Ezekiel 23:20

Offline Flamingo

• Camper
Re: The word of God
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 07:16:08 pm »
This thread is now about non religion vs non-religion.
Banned

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 07:33:32 pm »
The bible was written by many different people over a very long time for very different reasons. It was assembled by a small group of people of books and letters written to various groups/people, also for different reasons. Many of the things in the New Testament overwrite things in the old testament. To choose one or the other and follow it blindly would not be the greatest idea ever. I will now excuse myself from this topic.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 07:56:15 pm »
I really hope someone doesn't bring the Da Vinci code into this thread...

I'm a proud Catholic, I don't agree with everything in it, but I understand why it's there. The no sex before marriage makes sense because it can reduce the spread of STD's. The thing against masturbation also makes sense, if you have dirty hands you can really fuck yourself over. (..which is why I always thoroughly wash my hands before and after..)

I think I know what's right and what's wrong. I'm not a bad person. I've never stolen anything or beaten anyone up. I don't con people.

It is true that the Catholic church has been through some really shitty times, with corrupt leaders and complete greedy assholes ruling it. It seems nice now, though.

There are other worlds than these

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
  • That's just a way to break a unity
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 08:01:19 pm »
I don't take the bible literally or metaphorically, these are both incorrect views.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 08:03:51 pm »
Understanding the Bible 101:
 The Bible was written by man but inspired by God. What does this mean? Look at it like this:

A secretary takes a dictation from the head of a large business, this dictation is a memo that will be send out nationwide talking of half the workers for this company will be fired in the coming week. Now the fact that it was penned and shipped out by a lowly secretary doesn't take away its power. Just means that is how it needed to be done.

How is the Bible meant to be read?

Easy, the Bible isn't something you open up, read a page then put down. It's suppose to be read, and meditated on. Which means you are suppose to seek what wisdom lay in the words through those who are set to help guide you in your walk with Christ and of course prayer. It's not just a book of rules, its a tool to help you come closer to God.

Why do people find so many chinks in the Bibles armor?

Well they probably aren't reading it like its suppose to be read. Also people that do not have faith in God will not understand it in its entirety.  That doesn't mean they are dumb, they just don't have the right footing to understand where all this information is coming from.

Does the Bible give the answers to everything?

No, humans can't know everything around them. Faith is a massive part of the Christian religion, because it builds a closer relationship with God. Although in a sense yes it does give all the answers because it tells us to trust God.

Can you understand the Bible just by reading this post?
No, Christianity is suppose to be a very personal religion. Meaning you need to treat God like a friend that knows a crapload more than you do than a man with the best banhammer ever. Because of that your understanding of the Bible will be a direct result of your relationship with God.

Do all the Christians fully understand the Bible?
No, a thousand times, no. Humanity is flawed by bias, stupidity, and stubbornness. All of these three things create division in beliefs and alter interpretations.

I should probably make more points but I kind of have stuff to think about. Though I doubt I will get a chance too.
@ii

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 08:07:48 pm »
Well, Gram, which christians DO understand the bible and how can we tell?

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 08:10:33 pm »
Well, Gram, which christians DO understand the bible and how can we tell?
Can't really answer that, since everyone claims proof their beliefs are right it just comes down to muckslinging. There will always be a war of who understand the Bible in the Christian faith, its why we have denominations. When we die we will find out :D
@ii

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 08:12:56 pm »
My interpretation of the bible states we won't find out when we die. It states we already know, we must.

If you can't answer who is right, why believe in yours? Faith is case, but  if your views change then your pretty much fucked, especially if you dont nail it right before death. Unless of course, death doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 08:14:54 pm by Smegma »

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2008, 08:19:58 pm »
My interpretation of the bible states we won't find out when we die. It states we already know, we must.

If you can't answer who is right, why believe in yours? Faith is case, but  if your views change then your pretty much fecked, especially if you dont nail it right before death. Unless of course, death doesn't matter.
I can give you reasons why I think my beliefs are right. Doesn't mean you will say I am right though. That is the problem. Religion is all personal.
@ii

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2008, 08:21:43 pm »
I know its personal, yet a firm logical standing in your beliefs is necessary to be founded in them. The faith comes into play at the basis in which your beliefs are founded. I do not argue those yet, for if religion is personal how can we be sure we are correct?

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 08:25:39 pm »
I know its personal, yet a firm logical standing in your beliefs is necessary to be founded in them. The faith comes into play at the basis in which your beliefs are founded. I do not argue those yet, for if religion is personal how can we be sure we are correct?

Who said I don't have a logical understanding? I am sure my religion is the right one because of my personal experiences. God is as real to me as the chair I sit on. I have already questioned my faith before. When I did I was reassured I was right in my beliefs.
@ii

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008, 08:28:40 pm »

Who said I don't have a logical understanding? I am sure my religion is the right one because of my personal experiences. God is as real to me as the chair I sit on. I have already questioned my faith before. When I did I was reassured I was right in my beliefs.

I never said you don't, but I was merely trying to point to the heart of the argument as it did not seem to be addressed.

Questioning your beliefs once and concluding they are sound is justified? I'd be interested once again, to hear why you find your beliefs true. Not because I don't believe you, but I have yet to find a valid argument. Maybe you can help me.

Offline Lord Frunkamunch

• Veteran
  • DRR...DRR...DRR...
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2008, 08:30:03 pm »
@op
No. Not everything in the Bible was meant to be interpreted literally. It's pretty obvious where in most cases.

The thing against masturbation also makes sense, if you have dirty hands you can really feck yourself over.

What? I didn't know the Bible said anything about masturbation.
I attend grammar school, last grade, and ignorance is all around me. Well, good for them. Ignorance is bliss.

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 08:34:01 pm »
@op
No. Not everything in the Bible was meant to be interpreted literally. It's pretty obvious where in most cases.

Once again, why at these points was it more obvious to be a metaphor?

Offline Lapis Lazuli

• Global Moderator
  • Camper
  • One Hand Clapping
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2008, 08:34:44 pm »
Steam ¤ Skype ¤ Soldat Wiki ¤ Need Help?
"Every thought you produce, anything you say, any action you do,
it bears your signature." - Thich Nhat Hanh

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2008, 08:57:48 pm »

I never said you don't, but I was merely trying to point to the heart of the argument as it did not seem to be addressed.

Questioning your beliefs once and concluding they are sound is justified? I'd be interested once again, to hear why you find your beliefs true. Not because I don't believe you, but I have yet to find a valid argument. Maybe you can help me.
Welp how I first got into it was just being a kid in a Christian school. I heard a sermon and just wanted whatever that guy was talking about, I stayed behind and decided to take Christ as my savior. I just kind of walked along and did what I was suppose to until around 13, for some reason I just didn't want to be a Christian but I still thought it was the right choice for me, I was pretty confused on the subject. I ended up basically becoming a hateful depressed hermit. To this day I still believe the only thing that kept me from painting the wall with my inards was God telling me to hold on. Like everytime I was seriously mulling over the way to do it, a little voice just told me to hang on.  I ended up working it out and getting my mind focused back onto God and not everything around me. I finally beat my depression at about 15-16 fully. I am have had a few instances where the presence of God was just amazingly clear, like my choice to join the military. It was like God ripped off the roof to my house and tossed an "answer rock" at my head. Another time I was just a kid in a service of some guest speaker. My dad walked us up to be prayed for or something like that. I had no clue what was going on the speaker just walked up and blew across the line of me and my brothers. I was instantly laid out. If you don't know what that is, you just fall back and get some one on one time with God. I can't really explain it in detail, its just something completely unreal, like a waking dream. I have also seen God provide for my family countless times. Since my parents are local missionaries they don't get alot of money and I used to hear alot of financial concerns when they thought I was listening to music on their computer. Like one time after a while of worries someone just out of the blue walked up to my parents and church and gave them a check for the exact amount they needed, no one but them knew that they needed that money.(These types of stories happen alot more than you think)
I have had times where I felt I couldn't take anymore, no matter what I did, said, or was told I couldn't calm down. However the moment I cried out to God I felt peace. I am not some great Christian that hears from God daily if you are wondering. In fact I have been in a dry spot for ages, I screw up constantly and its a struggle just to be a decent Christian. However I know the more I pursue God I am happier, I have wisdom I didn't know I had, and I become a better person. Even if I am wrong and I rot in the ground my faith has kept me alive and its making me a vastly better person than I could ever be by myself. That is why I believe what I do. No man can take away what has happened to me and or give me what God has given me.
@ii

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 09:00:02 pm »
Once again, the question remains. How do you know these experiences related to God?

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2008, 09:04:16 pm »
I just do, sorry if that's not enough for you.
@ii

Offline Smegma

• Inactive Staff
  • Soldier
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 09:06:09 pm »
I just do, sorry if that's not enough for you.

It doesn't have to be enough for me, they aren't my experiences. It has to be enough for you.

If your justification is such, then I suppose you can never really be angry at anyone or anything in the first place to make you turn to God. So maybe, its not enough for me. I would hope its not enough for you, unless you are just having trouble putting your true feelings into words.