Author Topic: The 'Simple Questions' thread.  (Read 270520 times)

Offline Drax

• Soldier
Re: The 'Simple Questions' thread.
« Reply #1700 on: April 03, 2014, 01:23:19 pm »
how to fix this: when I vote on my server a certain map, after a moment it changes and it displays the right name, but when it starts it shows different name, and I don't know where server gets this name from? please help  :(

nvm I find a way to fix it :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:42:40 pm by Drax »

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #1701 on: April 03, 2014, 02:45:25 pm »
Which particular map are you referring to? There's a difference between map name and map description.

Im chill like that

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #1702 on: July 21, 2014, 10:42:19 am »
Can anyone help me find something that was posted on this forum before?

I don't remember who posted it (I have a feeling it was smiluu) or which thread it was in. It was a link to some webpage that had images (including animated gifs) of what looked like a really stylish 3D engine (or maybe just prerendered stuff). Images features landscapes, and I remember one showing a small boat floating near a small island. Everything was done in a minimalistic and flat visual style with everything made of triangles. Very similar to this: http://i.stack.imgur.com/B8PwH.jpg

If anyone can find that post or page - I'd really appreciate it.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #1703 on: July 22, 2014, 09:57:57 pm »
Anyone have any tips on how crack a .rar file's password? I was a doof whenever I made the file and put some obscure password. Currently I am trying Kali linux, but I didn't catch if it could work with .rars...

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #1704 on: July 22, 2014, 10:04:03 pm »
AFAIK the only way to crack a rar password is to bruteforce it (try different passwords until one of them works). There are programs that can automate that process, though I've never gotten far in using one.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #1705 on: July 22, 2014, 10:13:17 pm »
Hey loner,

Yeah, bruteforce is what I was headed for. My google searches have run dry, but still, Kali Linux brute forces .rars (I think)

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #1706 on: July 23, 2014, 12:10:29 am »
Hey loner,

Yeah, bruteforce is what I was headed for. My google searches have run dry, but still, Kali Linux brute forces .rars (I think)

Why are you trying to use a pen testing Linux distro just because it comes packed with dozens of cracking tools instead of downloading and running the actual tool you need? Google rar cracking programs and grab one that doesn't look shady and let it run for a few hours.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #1707 on: July 23, 2014, 12:29:51 pm »
I didn't have much luck. The one that looked the most promising had a bullshit "complete surveys to download" thing.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #1708 on: July 23, 2014, 03:09:24 pm »
If it's one of those older ones, you can simply look up a guide on how to remove the survey thing. Alter a couple of lines in the webscript using Google Chrome for example and the surveys are gone.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #1709 on: July 24, 2014, 10:21:55 pm »
New question: for some reason, minecraft.net is blocked (tried pinging it, times out).

Here are the router options, but I cannot find anything to either unblock, or lessen the strength of a firewall... I'm kinda stumped. I bet there is an option or setting I am missing, unless it's one of those routers that's like, "I'm not blocking anything, I promise..."

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #1710 on: July 25, 2014, 01:52:51 am »
New question: for some reason, minecraft.net is blocked (tried pinging it, times out).

Here are the router options, but I cannot find anything to either unblock, or lessen the strength of a firewall... I'm kinda stumped. I bet there is an option or setting I am missing, unless it's one of those routers that's like, "I'm not blocking anything, I promise..."

Paste us a traceroute to minecraft.com if it still doesnt ping

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #1711 on: July 25, 2014, 02:28:44 pm »

Okay, I'm a newb. So, I think I know what a traceroute is, but I don't know how I'd paste one here. Sorry for being half-difficult.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's the pathping command I think. Thanks wikipedia. Anyway, I'll paste it in a sec.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 02:30:47 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #1712 on: July 25, 2014, 02:31:17 pm »

Okay, I'm a newb. So, I think I know what a traceroute is, but I don't know how I'd paste one here. Sorry for being half-difficult.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's the pathping command I think. Thanks wikipedia. Anyway, I'll paste it in a sec.

Right click terminal (cmd.exe), click mark. That lets you copy text from it.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #1713 on: July 25, 2014, 02:39:14 pm »
Well, I didn't find mark, so I'm going to post a screenshot of shame:

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #1714 on: July 25, 2014, 05:50:42 pm »
Well, I didn't find mark, so I'm going to post a screenshot of shame:

I just tried pinging it on my end and it doesn't work either. However, going to http://minecraft.net works. It's just that the router at 54.240.229.164 (in your screenshot and on my box) is blocking ICMP packets which is what traceroute/pathping and ping use.

So just go to minecraft.net in your browser and don't worry about pinging it. This is why ping is not definitive in checking if a host is up or not.

And right click -> mark wasn't available because you're using PowerShell rather than cmd.exe which is what I expected.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:59:03 pm by jrgp »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #1715 on: July 25, 2014, 06:08:18 pm »
Alright, cool, it may not just be me. My only problem so far is not being able to play Minecraft online. AKA I was going to stream some Technic for kicks, but minecraft.net is out of reach (unable to authenticate account). I'll do more Googling!

On a different note, the first Planetside game went F2P a couple months back (or something).

EDIT:

Well, I am a dope. I had a very antiquated minecraft.exe, from like last year or something. OH WELL.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 06:41:19 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #1716 on: August 27, 2014, 01:06:28 pm »
Gfx card question:

I've done a little research, and according to some, Nvidia is more efficient with their "stream processors." At least that seemed to be the case a number of years ago.

I am comparing cards, and I once had a Radeon 5830. To compare to some cards now, it still looks pretty good, but bigger numbers probably do not mean better in this case. This, or the market now demands more money for cards.

I could get the 5830 for $50 on ebay (granted everything pans out! of course). I could also get a newer card for about $100, but aside from a 200mhz core clock increase (probably a lot!), the numbers are comparable (the 5830 has a lot more stream processors). And it's worth noting the architecture (or whatever the term is) is different compared to newer cards, but maybe that means it just runs cooler and is more efficient.

Or is it better.

Edit: tl/dr

Some new numbers threw me off. They're exactly the same. I just haven't seem ROPs on Newegg before, and forgot I'd seen them before on Tom's Hardware. (I'll go with a 6950.)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 05:01:12 pm by Blacksheepboy »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #1717 on: August 27, 2014, 07:57:22 pm »
Gfx card question:

I've done a little research, and according to some, Nvidia is more efficient with their "stream processors." At least that seemed to be the case a number of years ago.

I am comparing cards, and I once had a Radeon 5830. To compare to some cards now, it still looks pretty good, but bigger numbers probably do not mean better in this case. This, or the market now demands more money for cards.

I could get the 5830 for $50 on ebay (granted everything pans out! of course). I could also get a newer card for about $100, but aside from a 200mhz core clock increase (probably a lot!), the numbers are comparable (the 5830 has a lot more stream processors). And it's worth noting the architecture (or whatever the term is) is different compared to newer cards, but maybe that means it just runs cooler and is more efficient.

Or is it better.

Edit: tl/dr

Some new numbers threw me off. They're exactly the same. I just haven't seem ROPs on Newegg before, and forgot I'd seen them before on Tom's Hardware. (I'll go with a 6950.)

unless you're mining bitcoins/litecoins just get nvidia/intel and don't think about it

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #1718 on: October 13, 2014, 07:44:58 am »
Does anyone have the Seals - How we roll in better quality than 480p

Does anyone have Crashdown! in better quality than 360p?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 07:52:36 am by homerofgods »

Offline SyavX

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #1719 on: October 13, 2014, 03:51:37 pm »
Nope.

Seals - How We Roll.wmv
Code: [Select]
Video: Windows Media Video 9 720x480 29.97fps 2015kbps
Audio: WMA 2 44100Hz stereo 64kbps

CRASHDOWN!.wmv