Poll

Should Weight be added to the Guns of soldat?

F12
3 (33.3%)
F11
6 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Gun Weight - Important  (Read 8225 times)

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
Gun Weight - Important
« on: October 03, 2008, 09:15:22 am »
This idea will benefit and make the game way more realistic to real life. When your holding a specific gun say HK MP5 which is pretty light, you can move around and run faster and have better reflexes, agility etc. If you had for example, a Barret or M79 which are heavier guns, you should move around slower and run way slower which increases the realism of the game. If you where holding a pistol you would be able to run around faster, but when you switch back to your barret you run slower because of how heavy the gun is. The game would benefit heaps because it makes it way better because you could see someone with a barret running at full speed at someone which makes it look kinda dodgy and unrealistic.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
Re: Gun Weight - Important
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 09:28:20 am »
Err... no please. I don't want Soldat to be another Counter-Strike. In addition, it'd make Soldat slower instead of remaining fast-paced.

F11.

Offline UnknownSniper

• Camper
  • Southern by the Grace of God
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 09:31:52 am »
If you add this, you must also add limit to weapon ammo, no running while reloading, no moving at all if reloading LAW, take out jetpack, and all kinds of other things.
No point in trying to make it realistic any further.
I had a job and a piece of land
My sweet wife was my best friend
But I traded that for Cocaine and a whore
-Jamey Johnson

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 09:32:17 am »
play GTA instead

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
  • (F)ornication (U)nder (C)onsent of the (K)ing
    • http://www.soldatforums.com/index.php?topic=571.0
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 10:10:37 am »
Why you should run faster when you barrett is on your back and pistol in hands ? You've got the same weight on your soldier.

Not really important. Your agility depends on your skill in soldat. That's the way it should stay.

F11

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 10:29:39 am »
F12, I always thought that holding a mega-kill-yo-ass weapon should slow you down, seeing as it is like, what? Fifty pounds? Twleve stones?

Also, maybe making it to you can set the weight in the ini settings?

Offline miketh2005

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
  • What's the URL for www.microsoft.com?
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 03:22:59 pm »
F12, I always thought that holding a mega-kill-yo-ass weapon should slow you down, seeing as it is like, what? Fifty pounds? Twleve stones?

Agreed, F12
Quote from: 'Ando.' pid='12999178' dateline='1309046898'
My new password is secure as shit :)
Mate, I am not sure Shit is even secured nowadays.

Offline lynx_fxghta

• Major(1)
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 06:43:40 pm »
F12!! Great topic and idea to improve realisticness of the game. How can ya be running at the same speed with a small gun like HK and still be running at even faster pace with a barret.

Agreed! Set weights for all the weapons!!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 06:45:53 pm by lynx_fxghta »

Offline ElSpec774

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 07:05:33 pm »
This will add more frustration to the weapon balance and offer nothing exciting to gameplay.

Soldat is nothing near realistic, stop making suggestions trying to.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 08:00:14 pm »
Suggested before. F11. Silly idea. Useless. Soldat isn't meant to be realistic. Go play R/S.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Decaying Soldat

• Camper
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 09:10:04 pm »
The minigun would be a piece of crap. Yes, super heavy: with batteries, ammo and the gun itself, the whole weight will cause the player unable to move, now THAT's realistic.

Seriously f11.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 09:57:04 pm »
Whats so heinous about having realistic weapons in a realistic mode?

The weights dont have to be perfectly true to life, they just have to be relatively proportionate to the other weapons.

The slow down effect wont limit your players max speed, it only makes it take a few more 'steps' to reach it. ie each 'jump' would add slightly less velocity as weapons get heavier.

If your agility skills are up to scratch, this shouldnt really matter unless you get really caught off guard.

Sure it may have some problems, but Im not willing to bag the crap out of the idea without it having been tested or experimented with.

F1x.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 11:20:32 pm »
Do you know that Soldat would be terrible if we followed as realistic as possible? Also, Soldat's made to be pretty simple for a game. You might as well play other games if that's the case.

Look at the list of things that could be made realistic:

1. You can't carry an actual minigun (weight of gun itself is 15kg) with all the ammunition, battery to make the gun fire etc, let alone fire it, which has a peak estimated recoil of 110kg (240lbs). Even the XM214 is no exception, which fires up to 10,000 rounds per minute from its 6 barrels, which is 2.78 rounds per tick, imagine how quickly your bullet goes to waste. 100 bullets only last 35.97 ticks, which is around 0.6 seconds. Each round is a 5.56mm NATO. If you're thinking about Hollywood in Predator, the actor for "Blain" was wearing lots of protective equipment + a small battery hidden in his pants and the minigun fired blanks.

2. The Steyr Aug fires 650 rounds per minute, which is 10.83 rounds per second, 5.53 ticks to fire 1 bullet (not 7). It uses 5.56mm NATO rounds with an effective range of 450-500 meters and weighs 3.8kg unloaded.

Before Soldat used the Steyr Aug, it used to be a Colt M4A1 which fires 5.56mm NATO rounds with a maximum effective range of up to 360 meters, weighing 2.52kg without magazine and 3kg with magazine and loaded with 30 rounds. It has a rate of fire of 700-950 rounds per minute, so the time to fire 1 bullet is between 5.14 and 3.79 ticks.

3. The AK-74 fires at 600-650 rounds per minute as well, so theoretically the AK should fire either as fast as the Aug, or exactly 6 ticks to fire one bullet which is as fast as Soldat's MP5. It uses 5.45x39mm rounds, an effective range of 500 meters, standard 30 rounds per clip and weighs 3.3kg unloaded and 3.6kg loaded.

4. The HK MP5 has a rate of fire of 800 rounds per minute, so it takes 4.5 ticks to fire 1 bullet. Each round is a 9x19mm Parabellum or .40S&W or 10mm auto.

5. The FN Minimi has a few models, but the one seen in Soldat is probably either the Standard model or the Para model. It is fed by either belt or magazine, has a weight of 7.1kg and fires at a rate of 750-1000 rounds per minute, so it takes between 4.8 to 3.6 ticks to fire 1 bullet. The FN Minimi uses 5.56x45mm NATO rounds.

6. The Barrett M82A1 is an anti-tank sniper rifle, using a caliber of .50BMG (12.7x99mm), and its operation is short recoil and it is semi-automatic. It weighs 12.9kg empty, has a maximum effective range of up to 1800 meters and has an expected accuracy of 1.5-2.0 MOA or better. Semi-automatic dude, that means the Barrett should fire faster than it really is in Soldat!

7. The Ruger 77 is a bolt-action rimfire hunting rifle, using bullets of .22 Long Rifle or .22 WMR or .22 Hornet. It uses a removable rotary magazine that can hold (according the the type of bullets it holds stated above) 10+1, 9+1 and 6+1 rounds respectively. The Ruger has no sights ; it's intended to be used with a scope.

8. The Franchi Spas-12 is a shotgun, which can be fired either by pumping or is gas-operated (semi-automatic) selectively. It uses 12 gauge rounds, weighs 4.4kg and it would typically hold 8+1 rounds. Rate of fire is 4 rounds per second if fired semi-automatically. Soldat's is obviously manually pumped rather than semi-automatic.

9. The Desert Eagle can chamber .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .440 Cor-bon or .50AE rounds. It can hold 9 (.357), 8 (.41 and .44) or 7 (.440 and .50) rounds in one magazine. It weighs 1715 grams when empty. Soldat definitely uses the .50AE rounds.

10. I've no idea what pistol is the USSOCOM, but it is definitely a pistol adopted by the US SOCOM's Offensive Handgun Weapon System program and the "USSOCOM" is not its real name. If I'm not wrong, it is a HK Mk.23 mod.0, and if that's the case, it is a double-action pistol and fires .45ACP rounds and has a magazine capacity of 12 rounds. If you're looking for the older Soldat's Colt 1911, it fires the same rounds but is single-action and holds 7 rounds.

11. Which soldier actually brings a freaking chainsaw into a battlefield to saw people to death?

12. The M72 LAW is a Light Anti-Tank Weapon. There are also a few variations of the LAW. http://world.guns.ru/grenade/gl12-e.htm

13. The M79 is a single-shot grenade launcher, using 40mm (40x46) grenade rounds, weighs 2.72kg unloaded and has an effective range of up to 150 meters (point target) and up to 350 meters (area target).

14. There are no such thing as jet boots, even if there are, let alone having every soldier being issued with jet boots.

Anyway, weapon weight really isn't a good idea. It kills the simplicity of Soldat, and makes some guns weaker than it really needs to be and causes major balancing issues.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 11:22:55 pm by STM1993 »

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 12:10:46 am »
STM1993, was that really necessary? :P
F11, ruins the fast paced nature of soldat which is a major part of the game
"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." -- Augustine

Offline kamikaze_warrior

• Major(1)
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 12:18:49 am »
F12, excites and brings life to the game-play which makes it more real. The gun weight is important to soldat because people can't be running at full pace with a massive gun. Say you wer holding a Law and you where running around faster than a person with Desert Eagles...makes the game look weird. imo. F12 all the way!

Offline Chariot

• Flagrunner
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 12:25:15 am »
The gun weight is important to soldat

No it isn't. If it was, Soldat wouldn't have lasted the 6+ years that it has. Go play Counter Strike if you want realism. If you hadn't noticed, Soldat is a 2D shooter where people fly around with jets on their boots and accurately shoot a Barrett while standing or hell, even flying.
Vidi Vici Veni
I saw, I conquered, I came

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 12:54:45 am »
1. It was suggested before.. use search and read the comments.
2. Soldat isn't meant to be realistic.

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 04:17:59 am »
Let us look on this sentence, which carries a hidden truth ;D :
Go play R/S.
I think this idea can work nice in realistic mode only. Look at the recoil: it is a "realistic feature", it makes a big difference, and causes some balancing issues just like this gun weight would do. And it is only in realistic.
So what do you think about implementing it only in realistic mode? I'm asking realistic players.

PS I am a realistic player and I like this idea :D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 08:49:24 am by Gotfryd »

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 06:31:39 am »
I played with some R/S players. Though I didn't ask them directly, I could see that they liked the way R/S is already except for the weapons balance of some weapons which I'm trying to balance by myself and see if it works.

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
  • (F)ornication (U)nder (C)onsent of the (K)ing
    • http://www.soldatforums.com/index.php?topic=571.0
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 11:00:59 am »
I'm realistic player. I'm not playing so much lately but still.

Think about Ruger-77. It's a light weapon and it's already really powerful.

Still the same - No.