Author Topic: 800x600 Default Soldat Resolution  (Read 22239 times)

Offline Laser Guy

• Veteran
Re: 800x600 Default Soldat Resolution
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2008, 04:25:56 pm »
I know Soldat can do it already and it looks teribble because it isn't adding pixels, it's just stretching them...
Text goes here...

Offline ElephantHunter

• Retired Administrator
  • Camper
  • Third President
    • - home of the admins -
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2008, 12:36:18 am »
At least we can agree on that! The current method just doesn't cut it. A real solution would involve either bigger graphics or more distance. As I'm all for the the path of least resistance, I naturally support more distance.

Admittedly, either way would be fine by me. Soldat just needs to gear up to compete. Maybe community gfx could be made so we can increase the resolution for the next major version of Soldat? That's a whole 'nother topic altogether, and I'd support the idea if the developers found it palatable.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 12:37:52 am by ElephantHunter »
Everything you have done in life is measured by the DASH on your gravestone.
Stop wasting time.
Make your dash count.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2008, 03:59:44 pm »
F12 will help soldat in the newer generation computers...
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
  • (F)ornication (U)nder (C)onsent of the (K)ing
    • http://www.soldatforums.com/index.php?topic=571.0
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2008, 07:46:46 pm »

I bet Link death should be a solution.

I have to agree it wouldn't hurt and it's not that bad. But with low-res pixel soldiers it's not really necessary.

F11

Offline The Goliad

• Soldier
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2008, 09:28:49 pm »
F12

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2008, 05:38:54 am »
Simply make the window larger, don;t change anything. Just make the window larger. If you say it will affect gameplay, it might as the Barrett would become more powerful and the other weapons would have seemingly shorter range.

F12
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 05:42:03 am by Gnoblar »

Offline muzikman

• Major
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2008, 07:29:56 am »
1. soldat NEEDS to have a bigger resolution

2. there is absolutely no point in having to re-draw all of the graphics.

3. seeing further would only improve gameplay.

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2008, 09:51:17 am »
1. soldat NEEDS to have a bigger resolution
Here I agree.

Why? Can you proof this?
One thing I am sure it would cause is weapon balance issues. We don't like balance issues. All long-ranged will be more powerful and we'd have to tweak them much.

Offline ElephantHunter

• Retired Administrator
  • Camper
  • Third President
    • - home of the admins -
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2008, 10:29:17 am »
Why? Can you proof this?
One thing I am sure it would cause is weapon balance issues. We don't like balance issues. All long-ranged will be more powerful and we'd have to tweak them much.

... and you have no proof that the balance will need any tweaking.

Which brings me to my next point: So what? If any balance potential issues can be fixed via tweaking, you'll get used to the new balance. It's happened in the past and dare I say it'll probably happen in the future.

Edit: God forbid somebody suggest a new weapon! Might present some sort of challenge to the vets of the community. I hate to see how they deal with R/S and WM servers [pigtail]
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:32:46 am by ElephantHunter »
Stop wasting time.
Make your dash count.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2008, 10:40:16 am »
This topic was discussed somewhere before, I think maybe MM made a blog post about it.  Generally he was saying "yeah, redoing Soldat to do this would require all of the graphics to be re-done in higher resolution, I don't feel like getting that all done"

This also came up in terms of future games, having them support multiple resolutions.  The game would either need to use vector graphics for everything, or would have to ship with multiple versions of all of the content, one set for each resolution.

all of that said, if at some point the people responsible for maintaining Soldat felt like working with some graphics people to rework every single graphic for the game so that they'd be compatible with 800x600, I'd be for it.  Most computers that can play Soldat now should be able to handle that, we're not talking about jumping to 1024x768 or 1024x1280 or something really high.

On the other hand, I think Soldat is just fine how it is.  I really don't have a strong feeling either way, and I would rather see the effort put into Link-Dead and Berserker right now.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:41:58 am by FliesLikeABrick »

Offline ElephantHunter

• Retired Administrator
  • Camper
  • Third President
    • - home of the admins -
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2008, 11:08:56 am »
I would rather see the effort put into Link-Dead and Berserker right now.

Who's effort are you talking about? I'm sincerely confused.
Stop wasting time.
Make your dash count.

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2008, 05:23:28 pm »
... and you have no proof that the balance will need any tweaking.

I have. Here it goes:

Max horizontal range, theoretical (how far the bullet can go) and practical (on what max distance you can shoot an enemy), of M79 is equal - less than 1 screen. If you would see farther, it will not make much difference, because your range wouldn't change.
On the other hand, max theoretical horizontal range of Ruger bullet is several screens. Max practical range is 1 screen, because you cannot shoot enemies if you don't see them (unless by luck, but it doesn't count here). Now screen is 600px wide, you suggest it to be 800 px wide. So then Ruger's practical range would increase from 600 px to 800 px, while M79's range will be the same - something around 500 px. So ruger will be more powerful and M79 wouldn't. So they become unbalanced. End of proof.

And FLAB, I can take care of redoing all Soldat graphics (except scenery) to vector graphics (of course support for raster graphics should remain) if devs promise that they will implement this idea. I don't know how much time it will take and when I would finish, but I can do it sooner or later if it will be used.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 01:48:43 am by Gotfryd »

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2008, 01:46:03 am »

I bet Link death should be a solution.

I have to agree it wouldn't hurt and it's not that bad. But with low-res pixel soldiers it's not really necessary.

F11

Dude, who the hell cares about Link Death when we are talking about soldat...use common sense fuK!
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline muzikman

• Major
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2008, 06:53:20 pm »
It just wouldn't affect balance, the only gun that would be affected would be the m79, and only by the fact that you'd be able to be shot a fraction of a second before you can shoot, and come on you can't whine about that.  If you think about it, most people need a second to get the aim right with a gun as arced as that so theres not really a problem.

Offline Ziem

• Veteran
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2008, 12:24:29 am »
It just wouldn't affect balance, the only gun that would be affected would be the m79, and only by the fact that you'd be able to be shot a fraction of a second before you can shoot, and come on you can't whine about that.  If you think about it, most people need a second to get the aim right with a gun as arced as that so theres not really a problem.
??
Every gun would be affected, long range weapons would be obviously better and short range would be worse.

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2008, 12:36:00 am »
It'll make all reskins and the vast majority of interfaces defunct. Then we'd pretty much be starting over with a half-new game. Not worth it.

I can take care of redoing all Soldat graphics (except scenery) to vector graphics (of course support for raster graphics should remain) if devs promise that they will implement this idea. I don't know how much time it will take and when I would finish, but I can do it sooner or later if it will be used.

I have lots of doubts that I'm not even going to begin outlining here. Do you really know what you're talking about here? :P
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2008, 02:02:55 am »
It'll make all reskins and the vast majority of interfaces defunct. Then we'd pretty much be starting over with a half-new game. Not worth it.

I'm not sure. Does Soldat not support "higher resolutions" already? They work in different way that we are discussing now, but I think with some care Soldat wouldn't loose compatibility with old mods/interfaces/etc.

I have lots of doubts that I'm not even going to begin outlining here. Do you really know what you're talking about here? :P

I know that it'd be a lot of hard work, Soldat graphics engine would require changes (but i don't know how big these would be) and as usual some people wouldn't like this.
But I'd gladly listen to your doubts, maybe there's something important I've not noticed. Feel free to PM mer if you don't want to post them here.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 07:19:34 am by Gotfryd »

Offline muzikman

• Major
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2008, 06:20:48 pm »

??
Every gun would be affected, long range weapons would be obviously better and short range would be worse.

Ok, so the steyr and mp5 would be affected as well, but not that much by such a small change.  I mean, any mp5er is gonna want to bunny hop in close anyway. And the steyr is too good as it is

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2008, 06:37:04 pm »
Why don't we just ask Espadon or Dairy or even the whole Modding community to make a really nice higher resolution mod?

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2008, 06:46:40 pm »
Why don't we just ask Espadon or Dairy or even the whole Modding community to make a really nice higher resolution mod?

By "higher resolution mod" you mean something I suggested, am I right?
This is a good idea.