Author Topic: Ambience.  (Read 10588 times)

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
Re: Ambience.
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 11:42:40 am »
I'm guessing most people would put on some type of music instead, so there should be a on/off ambient sound.

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 04:35:51 pm »
How about being able to set specific point in the map that would play a sound, but the further the player is from that point, the softer the sound is.

Yeah, that's similar to what Gnoblar wrote about sounds "attached" to polygons, but may work out even better.

there should be a on/off ambient sound.

Right.

Offline boer

• Major
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 01:28:06 pm »
yes it must be an option for the person downloading the map. Ambiance plays a huge role in any game..

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 01:53:10 pm »
F12. We should all be smart enough here to be aware of how it would function (like scenery), that a size/length limit is needed, and to be an option. Nuff said.
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline ZomgProniss

• Camper
  • Known ingame as Proniss
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 01:58:00 pm »
^agreed^

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 08:16:56 pm »
^^Agreed again^^
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 09:23:54 pm »
If the person whose downloading had control whether to download the ambience file, then it would work, if not, then soldat will start losing it's "Low Bandwith" market.

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2009, 09:13:23 am »
F12 for optional
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline tendulker

• Major(1)
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2009, 09:53:13 pm »
When you download the map, it should have an option that says "Soldat has detected an ambience sound file on the current map, would you oike to download?" and you can say yes or no.

I like this, or maybe in the config.exe make a drop down box or something with options like; always download ambiance, never download ambiance, always ask . Or maybe even 'ask if file size is over ____' where youd fill in the blank.

I'm guessing most people would put on some type of music instead

I wouldn't mind this, good servers would choose maps with decent/appropriate music, right? Copyright issues would force only copyright-free music, though. But thats not really a bad thing, as it would probably also only be instrumental.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 12:20:22 am »
Only if you can choose to use them/download them.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2009, 11:48:00 pm »
I hope to see this implemented.

Offline Rabspat

• Major(1)
  • The Rabid Spatula!
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2009, 03:42:08 am »
This is one of the only things I'd really like to see added, considering I find sound design to be a very important aspect in gaming.  Sometimes the pure, dull silence of the maps in Soldat is a turn off.  Maybe that's just me.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 03:45:12 am by Rabspat »

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2009, 05:46:06 am »
This is one of the only things I'd really like to see added, considering I find sound design to be a very important aspect in gaming.  Sometimes the pure, dull silence of the maps in Soldat is a turn off.  Maybe that's just me.

Yeah, it's always nice to hear a dull thd and distant rattle of ambience, or birds chirping and rivers flowing.

Offline Platehead

• Flagrunner
  • Platehead
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 07:51:00 am »
Yep F12, as said above with the restrictions mentioned.
In addition, we have the Music Volume and the Game Volume which we can change to our likings, maybe we could also have a separate Background Volume for this sfx.  This means that you'd be able to control how loud the background music is, as I read in some post that you wouldn't want it drowning the gameplay volume.
"It was pride that changed angels into devils; it is humility that makes men as angels." -- Augustine

Offline scout

• Camper
  • Wolverine does'nt have nothing on me now!
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 08:04:21 am »
F12,

heres a suggestion- there's actually is a way to add an ambience file, however, this only applies to infiltration mode. this particular sound file, triggers every 25 seconds- thats when blue team scores 5 points, ive replaced that file with a battle ambience sound(which was about 25 seconds long) and from what i heard, it actually worked out quite well.

but again, id say a great idea and addition to soldat.

Offline PaFel

• Veteran
  • Weaponology Expert
    • PaFcio TACTIACAL
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 08:52:21 am »
Best option would be .wav scenery. Easy to do. It could work like normal one. Back - heard everywhere, middle heard in this place, front, same as middle but smaler range.

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 10:23:24 am »
Best option would be .wav scenery. Easy to do. It could work like normal one. Back - heard everywhere, middle heard in this place, front, same as middle but smaler range.

Like "Sound Scenery" from Halo CE, like a river or a generator making a humming etc. Excellent idea.

Offline Toxic Avenger

• Major
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 12:58:34 pm »
Wav is out of the question... Perhaps .ogg or something with harder compression?

Offline JFK

• Camper
    • My TraxInSpace Account
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 01:51:02 pm »
Giving sounds to scenery should be possible with scripting probably in 1.5.1

The new scriptcore should give the server the possibility to let a client play a certain sound and add the relative distance of that sound to the player. However once a sound starts playing it will probably be impossible to change the distance and direction of the sound and thus if you want sound-scenery to be dynamical enough one could only use very short sounds/loops.
Talking about loops, there is another problem. There are no options in the new scriptcore for advanced timing of sounds (which is needed for seemless looping). It would be nice if a server can give a player a queue of soundfiles and maybe timing information. The client would handle the timing of the sounds by itself. This also gives the possibility for musical timing and thus dynamic music and/or ambience (music/ambience that changes with the state of the game).
I've been walking around with these ideas for a while and might just open a whole topic about it one day, but it seems very relevant to this.

(tl;dr)
I suggest the following things for the next scriptcore:
- Ability to alter a sound's distance/direction while playing for map-placed "sound-scenery's"
- Ability to loop/queue soundfiles for a client-side player for dynamic music and ambience.
- And if this all could be multichannel i'd be the happiest sounddesigner in soldat universe
Come join: EliteCTF
Listen to: My Music

Offline Splinter-Snake

• Soldier
  • One must die, and one must live.
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 01:54:01 pm »
Definitely F12. So much room for improvement regarding sound.