Author Topic: Any helpful info?  (Read 1255 times)

Offline AntiHero

• Camper
  • INF all the way!
    • TheAllStarsClan Site
Any helpful info?
« on: February 10, 2009, 04:39:29 pm »
Dose anyone have any useful ideas to speed up soldat or make it higher quality soldat?

P.S:Move to diffrent section if needed
Infiltration|Veterinarian

Offline jettlarue

• Flagrunner
Re: Any helpful info?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 04:57:09 pm »
Please be a little more clear. Disabling edges will speed up soldat, at the cost of gfx. Really all of it equals out.

Offline Sir Jeremy

• Flagrunner
  • Eurolicous!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 05:08:13 pm »
Get a faster internet connection?..do something with your FPS?

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 06:01:10 pm »
Get a better computer, or make a few big sceneries transparent.

Offline Keldorn

• Soldier
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 05:49:19 am »
Offline it's all about the RAM, but online it's simply getting a good internet connection and playing on nearby servers is a good start. Completey pwning everyone also helps :D
Anyone play KOL?

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 07:02:23 am »
Much depends on graphics card. My laptop has 16MB memory in its graphics card and sucks hard.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 07:13:34 am »
Okay many things, and if your computer lags on Soldat, that it must suck just like mine (my computer) not the proper computer. RAM, vital part for smoothness in games and running properties, you should check your memory every now and then by checking Task Manager - Memory. Also, go to processers, check which programs are using the most memory and whichever you don't need, let's just say AntiVirus, end the process, it will make it run alot smoother trust me.

Your computer has to be fast, atleast 500mhz, any lower, pretty much useless, that it the LOWEST I would recommend if you want a bit of lag. The lesser the programs you have on your computer will also make your computer run faster, delete stuff you don't need, especially on the desktop, this is what takes up alot of space and makes your computer very slow on startup.

One thing I do not recommend is PC-Optimizers. They are very hazardous and DANGEROUS to your computer. It burns the microparts and particles inside the computer gradually. They may optimize (make your computer run faster and better) but in the end it's not worth it, it will ruin your computer and screw it up really bad. People think it doesn't do damage, however you will face the consequences in the end/long run.

Try to upgrade your computer with RAM at the best to for your better gameplay, and try and to turn your computer off whenever you need because this also makes your computer work harder and use more power which makes your computer lose life.

A faster internet connection as said before above is also very important and essential. If you could, just post some of your computer specs and internet connection etc. This will determine if you actually DO have a PROBLEM. I advise if your using wireless, do not run any programs in the backround when playing soldat. At the least have an internet connection of T1 to have a smooth gameplay.

Remember its not fun playing with lag, I know how it feels I have lag spikes every now and then and it pisses me off alot because I use wireless internet and I have an okay computer. If none of these techniques help or work, the only other option is to reinstall Soldat or you just have to cope with the lag.

Hope this helped - Scarface 
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Gotfryd

• Camper
  • realistic rules!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 07:18:32 am »
It's not a good idea to disable antivirus software while being connected to internet...

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 12:55:13 am »
If soldat runs slow on your computer - I'd say your computer is not powerful enough, or there are problems with your system or video drivers.
One time I had serious fps issues with soldat (it ran at about 15fps at best, mostly - around 5fps) even though my computer was much more powerful than Soldat needs. If i remember correct, I could only solve this issue after completely reinstalling the system.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 02:00:14 am »
Okay many things, and if your computer lags on Soldat, that it must suck just like mine (my computer) not the proper computer. RAM, vital part for smoothness in games and running properties, you should check your memory every now and then by checking Task Manager - Memory. Also, go to processers, check which programs are using the most memory and whichever you don't need, let's just say AntiVirus, end the process, it will make it run alot smoother trust me.

No, NEVER turn your antivirus off. What you need to make sure of is that it is not running scans while you're playing. That'll slow you down; but just having the processes run while your playing doesn't do anything at all on a modern system.

In addition to that, if you kill a running antivirus or firewall program, windows'll bring up messages saying your computer isn't protected.

Your computer has to be fast, atleast 500mhz, any lower, pretty much useless, that it the LOWEST I would recommend if you want a bit of lag. The lesser the programs you have on your computer will also make your computer run faster, delete stuff you don't need, especially on the desktop, this is what takes up alot of space and makes your computer very slow on startup.

It doesn't matter how many programs you have installed. What matters are how many you have running while you play the game. If you have photoshop with a bunch of high rez pictures loaded, you can expect Soldat to run a little slower (or maybe not slower at all on modern PCs), but merely having dozens (sometimes hundreds) or large programs installed doesn't make a difference as long as many aren't open.

One thing I do not recommend is PC-Optimizers. They are very hazardous and DANGEROUS to your computer. It burns the microparts and particles inside the computer gradually. They may optimize (make your computer run faster and better) but in the end it's not worth it, it will ruin your computer and screw it up really bad. People think it doesn't do damage, however you will face the consequences in the end/long run.

What are you talking about? Overclocking? That's pretty much only bad if you go nuts with it. A tiny CPU clock increase isn't likely to do anything at all, provided you have proper cooling in your system. And overclocking isn't even necessary for a simple game like Soldat. Anything you gain would be extremely negligible.

Or are you talking about something like CCleaner that deletes temporary files from windows' temp folders? These programs are fine and can help performance.

Try to upgrade your computer with RAM at the best to for your better gameplay, and try and to turn your computer off whenever you need because this also makes your computer work harder and use more power which makes your computer lose life.

You're saying always turn your PC off when it's not in use? It doesn't matter at all. I never turn my computers off and they always run flawlessly. Ever wonder how often servers (where utmost performance is critical) are restarted/turned off? Never.

A faster internet connection as said before above is also very important and essential. If you could, just post some of your computer specs and internet connection etc. This will determine if you actually DO have a PROBLEM. I advise if your using wireless, do not run any programs in the backround when playing soldat. At the least have an internet connection of T1 to have a smooth gameplay.

T1 is a connection that is just about never available in residential / apartment areas. Even when it is, it's extremely expensive and a decent cable / dsl connection is more than sufficient when it comes to lag. I regularly play Soldat on my grandparent's old dell at their place on their slow'ish dsl connectoin. My ping very rarely goes higher than 70.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 02:03:42 am by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline AntiHero

• Camper
  • INF all the way!
    • TheAllStarsClan Site
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 04:15:45 pm »
boy that was very useful thnxs you guys ;D
Infiltration|Veterinarian

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 10:54:41 pm »
jrgp what is your problem? Stop being so ignorant, arrogant and subdueing all my posts. You have no clue on what your talking about. I am currently studying computer programming and I know how this works.

First of all, turning off anti-virus ONLY when you play soldat is not computer threatening. There is no way you can get a virus from a game that is barely 3rd party. Anti-Virus software is the number 1 cause of slow computer performace because it runs at over 90% using the computers mechanisms at higher levels just to run it. Also, if you were smart you would turn off windows anti-virus updates/logs.

Also, having lots of programs on the desktop/computer wouldn't slow your computer down? Are you out of your mind? Ofcourse it will! Why do you think so many people don't want to turn their computers off or leave it running 24/7...because it takes so long to start up or load anything. If you wanted to keep your computer on with its saved stuff then I suggest you Hibernate your computer which is located in task manager, shutdown, Hibernate.

Overclocking is very bad. It uses so much power of your computer and burns at every second you have it on! It also, makes your computer run slower because of its memory usuage throughout how long it has been at work over nothing. Remember, alot of people who play soldat have older computers and their cooling systems aren't as great as the new technology's are.

Also, PCOptimizers have to be the worst thing you can install on your computer. They are the most hazardous things you can install mainly. My friend, had installed many few over a few months, and his computer burned to bits and pieces and he asked my to fix it and put it back together...but all I told him was his computer was a ride off now...buy a new one. If your willing to pay that much money, by all means go ahead and buy a new computer but im just warning you of some of the consequences which can arise from pc enhancement programs.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a better internet connection wouldn't it. Especially if your using wireless...

Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline koingnegsegg

• Major(1)
  • ^Bust a Move Week. In Game: {untouchable}[NZ]
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 05:17:04 am »
jrgp what is your problem? Stop being so ignorant, arrogant and subdueing all my posts. You have no clue on what your talking about. I am currently studying computer programming and I know how this works.

First of all, turning off anti-virus ONLY when you play soldat is not computer threatening.

There is no way you can get a virus from a game that is barely 3rd party. Anti-Virus software is the number 1 cause of slow computer performace because it runs at over 90% using the computers mechanisms at higher levels just to run it. Also, if you were smart you would turn off windows anti-virus updates/logs.

Also, having lots of programs on the desktop/computer wouldn't slow your computer down?
Are you out of your mind? Ofcourse it will! Why do you think so many people don't want to turn their computers off or leave it running 24/7...because it takes so long to start up or load anything. If you wanted to keep your computer on with its saved stuff then I suggest you Hibernate your computer which is located in task manager, shutdown, Hibernate.

Overclocking is very bad. It uses so much power of your computer and burns at every second

you have it on! It also, makes your computer run slower because of its memory usuage throughout how long it has been at work over nothing. Remember, alot of people who play soldat have older computers and their cooling systems aren't as great as the new technology's are.

Also, PCOptimizers have to be the worst thing you can install on your computer. They are the most hazardous things you can install mainly. My friend, had installed many few over a few months, and his computer burned to bits and pieces and he asked my to fix it and put it back together...but all I told him was his computer was a ride off now...buy a new one. If your willing to pay that much money, by all means go ahead and buy a new computer but im just warning you of some of the consequences which can arise from pc enhancement programs.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a better internet connection wouldn't it. Especially if your using wireless...
Jrjp is right, most of what you said before was bs, and now you just repeated it all.
Expecting us to beleive that you are studying to be a programmer is laugh-able.
Over clocking doesn't burn your computer, it just makes the CPU or Gpu run a little hotter. It's not much of a difference when you consider they run at 50 - 60 celcius. And what's this about it taking up more ram?? Over clocking INCREASES the speed the ram operates at so it increases the performance of the ram, and it doesn't affect the amount of your system uses at idle.

Jrjp is also right about the of optimisers. They simply clear unused files and registry entrys, making your computer run faster. Although playing soldat while the pcoptimiser is running would cause a decrease in fps, playing soldat after would make of run smoother, although the difference would be miniscule. There is no risk to your computer. 

and the minigun isn't a proper gun

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 05:44:58 am »
You're also the best player in Soldat's history, according to you.

First of all, turning off anti-virus ONLY when you play soldat is not computer threatening. There is no way you can get a virus from a game that is barely 3rd party. Anti-Virus software is the number 1 cause of slow computer performace because it runs at over 90% using the computers mechanisms at higher levels just to run it. Also, if you were smart you would turn off windows anti-virus updates/logs.
True, an AV can slow down performance, but by how much depends on which AV it is. Say, Norton or McAfee would slow the system down more than AVG would, because the formers are big resource hogs (Screw you for the long loading times, McAfee!).

If your computer is so s**t that you can't run Soldat and an AV program at the same time, though, with nothing else open, then it may be time to invest in a sledgehamme- I mean, a new computer.

Also, having lots of programs on the desktop/computer wouldn't slow your computer down? Are you out of your mind? Ofcourse it will! Why do you think so many people don't want to turn their computers off or leave it running 24/7...because it takes so long to start up or load anything. If you wanted to keep your computer on with its saved stuff then I suggest you Hibernate your computer which is located in task manager, shutdown, Hibernate.
Having them installed does not affect performance, unless of course you have absolutely no space left at all on your hard drive, in which case your virtual RAM will be limited. My mother has a hard time understanding this, so if you do too, then you can't be doing computer programming.

Unless you're talking about programs being open and running? In which case why are you talking about deleting them? Just close the damn things.

Overclocking is very bad. It uses so much power of your computer and burns at every second you have it on! It also, makes your computer run slower because of its memory usuage throughout how long it has been at work over nothing. Remember, alot of people who play soldat have older computers and their cooling systems aren't as great as the new technology's are.
Overclocking is bad if done incorrectly. Sure, it may shorten the life of your CPU if you overclock it, but you'd have to be really pushing it to do that.

Some are good, some are bad. I mean, you don't need them if you know how to remove excess crap from the system yourself.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 05:49:16 am by SpiltCoffee »
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!