Poll

Spawn after selecting weapon?

F12
34 (66.7%)
F11
17 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Spawn on weapon select  (Read 4797 times)

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
Re: Spawn on weapon select
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 04:57:54 pm »
sooo, was that supposed to show i'm selfish? ok...say a friend calls to report you have some homework to do, the chat takes a while, but you got the next day free so you can do it then, would you like being banned for the 30\20 minutes for that? besides i didn't say nobody else was entitled to it, but public, good servers nowadays fill up quickly, with people who hack even, so would you give up your spot for some hacker to ruin the whole game? (yea it happened to me about 20 times already, my spot gets stolen by hackers)
b&

Offline ValiS

• Major
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 05:27:02 pm »
First of all my friends dont tell me what i must do, i decide for myself... ok but seriously, you are talking about specific cases, but the general rule is people get kicked for afking, and if i go away from a game i know i probably will get kicked and its fine by me (and if i KNOW it will be a while i exit on my own - common courtesy), the spot is not a matter of life and death to me, i want to have a good game and let others have a good game.

Consider this: ALL of alpha team gets phonecalls at the same time... what is bravo supposed to do?

I dont understand what hacking has to do with it.. and i think discussing hacking is against forum rules?  ;D
I eat EFCs for breakfast (with a lot of ketchup ...)

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
  • (F)ornication (U)nder (C)onsent of the (K)ing
    • http://www.soldatforums.com/index.php?topic=571.0
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 06:36:34 pm »
Could be good, but still it just would make it kind of slower and automatic respawn makes me happier.

Just to give a reason - you've got numbers so you can change your weapon pretty fast unless you got just one hand.
-or-
you still got few seconds after you die so you can choose whatever gun you would like to...
-but-
...if you don't get the time and you respawn immidiately just click anywhere and you will get the same gun as you choosed before. Trala...

Offline Luke Strife

• Major(1)
  • Erratic Englishman.
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 06:48:51 pm »
The problem with clicking outside the weapon menu to choose the same gun as before often makes the gun go off, and some people will find that impedes them, against a spawnkiller they are slightly disadvantaged if (depending on the weapon) they found that bullet valuable.
"The best warriors never have to fight."

"What is worth having is worth working for."

Offline The Epic Guy

• Soldier
  • No more foreplay
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 06:54:08 pm »
Could be good, but still it just would make it kind of slower and automatic respawn makes me happier.

Just to give a reason - you've got numbers so you can change your weapon pretty fast unless you got just one hand.
-or-
you still got few seconds after you die so you can choose whatever gun you would like to...
-but-
...if you don't get the time and you respawn immidiately just click anywhere and you will get the same gun as you choosed before. Trala...

Yes, and you could still do this, and some people would still want to do this, but the point of this suggestion is not to slow down the game, or to allow for more time to choose your weapon, but to allow for some "preparation", so a player could be ready for, lets say, a spawn camper. As the current system jumps your point of view from your corpse to your spawn instantly, you really have no way to know where a camper is unless he has already killed you once or twice, assuming this is TDM/CTF/INF. And my suggestion is to give a little bit of spectator time on your spawn point so you could see what you are getting yourself into.

Offline amb2010

• Camper
  • Fear the dot ...
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2009, 09:59:43 pm »
I think this idea would be interesting and help tone down the spawn killing but, what about people that would sit there and wait for someone from the other team to grab the flag just to spawn and kill them. That seems to be just about as bad as someone spawn camping. I mean everyone has had a moment where they grab the flag and then 2 or so enemies spawn, pretty sure no one enjoys that either.
And as the lyrics go in the United State's national anthem: "America, f**k YEAH!".

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2009, 10:31:12 pm »
ok this has just turned into a flaming session, that of a battlefield, calm down you two

demoniac93
Valis

let me just add in my two cents, i for one would hate for my spot to be taken by a hacker who soon ruins the game, however i would also hate to be banned for my afkness, and so the result is ineveitable, you dont want to get banned, and theres a phonecall, leave, hey i hate doing it too but i have avoided being permanently banned by doing so, others may have their solution to this but this is mine, if you guys wish to continue in the manner that you are then please take it to personal messages or the admin may lock this topic due to your flaming and arguing

altho now it looks as tho the matter has been settled ;)
check out my server! click here

If at first you don't succeed, Improvise! :D

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2009, 03:36:22 am »
ok frosty...you got it, you lean mean bad*ss argument settling machine :D
b&

Offline ValiS

• Major
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2009, 07:13:10 am »
Yeah sorry for hijacking the topic, since i like to argue (i dont think its flaming, we were using arguments, not insults out of the blue, i just felt that calling me selfish was a bit over the top) i might get carried away sometimes and people may percieve it as hostility, which is not what i intended. The afk arguments was just my 2 cents, because it IS related to the topic on hand, its also understandable that people may have different opinions about it.

Heres 2 cents more (which makes 4): its not precisely on the original topic, but on spawnkilling in general. What if a player gets punished for being in enemy base for too long, like a minute or smth, its highly unlikely that a player can spend a minute in enemy base and survive if he is playing normally, so if you hang aroung TOO long you would get killed by server and get a warning.

I am aware that this idea has certain setbacks, but its just an idea, feel free to develop it if you find it the least bit interesting.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2009, 07:18:07 am »
2 minutes, considering sometimes people base-spawn to kill the efc before he can cap. right?
b&

Offline ValiS

• Major
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2009, 07:43:19 am »
I didnt quite get your idea, sorry. But yes, the exact time is up for debate, but anyway, it could still rather be 1 minute, because you can always back out of the  base and come right back. That would create windows for the spawnees to break out. I think the trickiest question would be implementation instead, meaning: where do you draw the line, because maps are different, the spatial relationship of flag spawn and players spawn are different. Maybe something like a circular zone around the flag spawn which would glow very faintly the color of the flag, or a count off appearing like in the end of a game but elsewhere.
Wow, gets pretty complicated...

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2009, 08:08:40 am »
It may be complicated, but it must've had been proposed a lot of times already, this idea, and it may be hard but not impossible to implement.
b&

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2009, 12:30:49 pm »
F12. No explanation needed.

Note that the spawntime is still the same. Meaning if the server's spawn time is 2 seconds, the fastest possible time you'd respawn is 2 seconds, but you can choose to respawn later than 2 seconds since you are picking your weapon. There must a limit as to how long you take to pick your gun though.

Gameplay wouldn't slow down at all actually, and it is a good counter against base-spawning too.

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2009, 04:25:57 pm »
:)

F12

well some servers have a 1 second respawn and the spawn killing gets over the top quite frequently

parhaps also with the servers that have a 20 second respawn time, this may even speed up the respawns, idk, maybe even allowing for even more tactical spawning in order to defend the base, or something like that

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2009, 02:38:54 am »
:)

F12

well some servers have a 1 second respawn and the spawn killing gets over the top quite frequently

parhaps also with the servers that have a 20 second respawn time, this may even speed up the respawns, idk, maybe even allowing for even more tactical spawning in order to defend the base, or something like that
I think you should not be able to respawn before certain time limit.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2009, 03:37:16 am »
actually I like killing afk'ers ;D

F11

Player since late 2007

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2009, 03:42:10 am »
crap! i remember you from hexer! o.0

XD

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2009, 04:16:39 am »
Yeah...I also like killing afk'ers too :D! It is pretty fun.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2009, 05:03:53 am »
actually I like killing afk'ers ;D
It's not about AFKers, it's about non-AFKers.

AFKers will still spawn at the maximum time limit.

Offline jbigz

• Camper
  • Tasty
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2009, 10:33:22 pm »
Good points have been mentioned, but I still have to F11 this idea.

Spawn time should not be up to you, you are dead, and you should just be happy that you are being "re"spawned. Spawnkilling is annoying, but it is an aspect of the game that frequently decides the winner.

Example: You storm into the base with a buddy, and you kill 3 enemies. Cool. Now you have the flag, and are just turning away to run, and all of the guys you just killed respawned at your heels. Should your buddy just let them chase you because of the informal rule of "spawnkilling"?

I am fully aware that my example does not really address the point of "respawn on weapon choice", but I am merely voicing my opinion on spawnkilling. If they are killing you with an M79, just pull out a knife, pretty similar trajectory at close range. Getting sniped? Backflip. Autos? LAW.

Possibly I am the one and only god of escaping spawnkilling, or maybe many other people have found ways around it, such as using the invincibility frames they give you, or learning the numbers of your fave guns. If someone pisses you off, you press 7. If you want to snipe, you press 8. 3 For AK. 5 for Shotty. It actually shows that you can think quickly and work at the pace of the battle, not the battle working at the pace of you, which is apparently slow. Like many have stated before me, Soldat is a fast-paced game of smart weapon choice, skill, and speed. If you can't figure out instantaneously what weapon you need when you die, tough luck, don't expect a patch to baby you through it.

I realize that I am coming off as possibly offensive to people who support this idea, but it seems really unnecessary. I just feel that this topic has been beating around the bush, filled with 1-line responses with little to no substance.... or just personal feuds of pride. I just wanted to give a dry-cut opinion on this topic, cutting the crap, giving my 2 pennies.