Poll

Spawn after selecting weapon?

F12
34 (66.7%)
F11
17 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Author Topic: Spawn on weapon select  (Read 4733 times)

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
Re: Spawn on weapon select
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2009, 10:13:01 am »
So what you just said wasn't at all un-productive? Stop pumping up your own head and read what you just posted, god of spawn evading??? That shows me more ego than i ever seen of the whole forums, related to the issue of spawn killing...Well what if the spawn camper is better, faster,etc...than you? Then what? Maybe then oh almighty spawn evader you'd know what it's like! That 1 second of invincibility you gain at spawn was made for some realistic maps so you don't lose health right at spawning...Not for spawn campers. So this idea as ridiculous and unnecessary it may seem to you, would for other people improve the game play quality by tons. so stop being a self centered egoist and consider the fact that not all people are born great epic spawn camper killing machines. END OF ONE LINED COMMENT. 
b&

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2009, 11:20:52 am »
jbigz, check out this thread: http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=32972.0
It has some really good points about spawnkilling, which you have probably haven't considered. All I had to say about spawnkilling has been said in that thread, so not gonna go off topic anymore.

Offline eYe

• Major(1)
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2009, 07:27:09 pm »
Great idea, just don't think there's much need for doubling the spawn time. In public games it's not a big deal but when it comes to serious competition a couple seconds sets the difference between a successful defense and a successful offense, i.e, someone attempting to cap.

Offline The Epic Guy

• Soldier
  • No more foreplay
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2009, 08:53:21 pm »
Great idea, just don't think there's much need for doubling the spawn time. In public games it's not a big deal but when it comes to serious competition a couple seconds sets the difference between a successful defense and a successful offense, i.e, someone attempting to cap.

What I meant was that the optional spawn time would be double the regular spawn time, so it would not slow down respawning at all.

If they are killing you with an M79, just pull out a knife, pretty similar trajectory at close range. Getting sniped? Backflip. Autos? LAW.

You make it sound so predictable, but there are people out there that can think 2 steps ahead.

Also, in your example, if the other team decided to use additional spawn time, that gives your buddy additional time to get ahead. It really is a tradeoff, avoid getting spawnkilled or possibly stop the efc.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 09:13:20 pm by The Epic Guy »

Offline muzikman

• Major
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2009, 06:11:46 am »
    * There should be minimum time limit. Before it elapses you're not able to respawn. (Same way as it is in current version of Soldat.)
    * Maximum spawntime - after it wears out you'll be automatically spawned.
    * Between those 2 timelimits it should ba allowed to respawn
I'll change my f11 into an f12 taking this into account.  That extra little window before it maxes out would help prepare you for possible spawnkilling, but not really ruin the pace so I guess it could work

Offline jbigz

• Camper
  • Tasty
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2009, 12:53:59 am »
So what you just said wasn't at all un-productive? Stop pumping up your own head and read what you just posted, god of spawn evading??? That shows me more ego than i ever seen of the whole forums, related to the issue of spawn killing...Well what if the spawn camper is better, faster,etc...than you? Then what? Maybe then oh almighty spawn evader you'd know what it's like! That 1 second of invincibility you gain at spawn was made for some realistic maps so you don't lose health right at spawning...Not for spawn campers. So this idea as ridiculous and unnecessary it may seem to you, would for other people improve the game play quality by tons. so stop being a self centered egoist and consider the fact that not all people are born great epic spawn camper killing machines. END OF ONE LINED COMMENT.

I was using heavy sarcasm; I am sorry it was not as obvious as I tried to make it.
I am not the 'god' of anything, but your own doubt of that statement was supposed to make my sarcasm more understandable.

It is true that spawnkillers may try to think ahead, but the power is still in your hands. His option is, well, only spawning. Your options are much wider. The variables the spawner has to look for are running away, knives, LAWS, grenades, evasive maneuvers, and many more things PLUS factoring in invincibility. All you have to look out for is the spawnkill. A spawner won't run, won't do many evasive maneuvers because his job is to camp and kill.
In my opinion, the victim has many more options.

Also, like a counter-argument stated, if a "spawner is better and faster than you," what makes you think you'd survive under different circumstances?

Lastly, I am not any more of an egotist than any gamer. We all play to win at some point, and winning could be viewed as selfish as well. You interpretted my advice as "egotistical"; all advice comes from someone who thinks they know better.
What I try to do is use sarcasm in conjunction with hard logic to get my points across.

My advice I was trying to promote was: Don't be predictable. It's really easy. DON'T do what is logical. A spawner is there for EASY kills, PREDICTABLE kills. So don't be predictable.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2009, 01:24:21 am »
F11, but why? For example Hide & Seek. If you dont select your weapon (I know you dont have one there) you can easily stay in spawn for all time / for an amount of time, you get an advantage through this, because other could die before you spawn!

Yes, I know spawnkilling is a huge problem, but this can be fixed by the mappers, so that coders don´t need to waste their time for this. Just look on ctf_Glory by Zakath. He used the normal flipper by VTT to save the spawns and get a special gameplay which is REALLY good.

I don´t see need of this feauture, there are things that are more important imo, so F11!

Offline AussieJay

• Soldier
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2009, 12:07:12 am »
God...I hate the seconds where I have to decide on my weapon (depending on the map loaded) so I'm definately for this. I've probably posted in this trhead already.

There should be a limit though, say 10 seconds until the game auto-respawns you. This will prevent people waiting to surprise players or general hiding.
Proudly Australian :)

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2009, 04:36:48 am »
Yeah I'll F12, but having said that, the maximum limit should be double the minimum limit. If it were 2 minutes, you could have a person on your team not on the map for two minutes because they've gone. This'd take up a player space and annoy the team he/she is on as they aren't on the field.

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2009, 05:48:19 am »
I say hell no. Script it if you want, but don't implement in game. If you learn to pick a weapon while you'r dead you don't have any problems!  A strong F11
can't believe 33 people voted yes..
This would never work with the pro comunity, perhaps for public noobs.
''spawn killing and afk players''  are you all noobs?
SKRIPT IT FOR SOME PUBLIC SERVER
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 05:54:52 am by homerofgods »