Poll

Do you want this feature? (read the intro before voting, please.)

Maybe? But what good is it?
No, the action and pace of soldat is good as it is.
Yes! More skills to master and more fun playing!
Too complex, maybe in the future.

Author Topic: Knives\Bullets reflection at collision  (Read 2588 times)

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
Knives\Bullets reflection at collision
« on: March 23, 2009, 12:15:28 pm »
Picture this:
You ran out of ammo, and while dodging 100 nades, bullets and other crap, some motherfu**er punched away your heat, OH NO! SON OF A BIT**!
Aw hell no, now you even have low health, so low a fart would kill you, and start running away, when some other sucker throws his knife, but so weak he misses his target and now you're dead meat! but wait, YES! you realize you still have a knife hidden under those belts! YIPPIE!  but hey, what do you do with it? easy, you throw it at the incoming knife, and laugh in the face of death yet again! SAVED! medipac found! girl friend saved! (ok that's a joke now ;D)
Same principle with say, m79's? spass? (even though the m79 already has the bug of exploding when 2 bullets hit each other and the most miserable one of the 2 shooters meets his maker)....

This is still JUST a suggestion, ALL criticism is welcome, as long as constructive, cause i know you Einsteins get shi**y ideas as well from time to time, just think of the game play effects this would add to the game, more challenge to it now, right? i don't even want this implemented all i want is your opinions cause i KNOW this must've been proposed some time before, maybe if you guys like this i could forward it to MM just for the kicks of adding more fun to the game. Thanks.
b&

Offline adam01526

• Soldier
Re: Knives\Bullets reflection at collision
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 02:07:28 pm »
please make your idea clear, if you want to write stories put them in the soldat moments forum. Apart from that i think that it is too fancy to be of any use in soldat and that the time spent making that feature would be better used fixing bugs.

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 02:21:15 pm »
Only realistic mode??? (only added this one so you guys don't demand it)
This option wasn't really needed.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline adam01526

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 02:45:02 pm »
Only realistic mode??? (only added this one so you guys don't demand it)
This option wasn't really needed.

lets stop saying oh lets stick it in realistic mode.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 02:51:47 pm »
adam i didn't do that to piss you off xd and the bottom line is, to enable hitting other bullets or knives and reflecting them...that's all, the story was to make it clear...not really a story more than av advert...
b&

Offline adam01526

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 02:54:29 pm »
fair enough but i was just pointing out that there are other ways present your ideas. i still dont see the point of your idea though

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 02:55:14 pm »
oh yeah this would make so much fun. it's great being hit by your own shot. who is able to return a knife going to you and who is so dumb of throwing knifes slowly?

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 02:55:50 pm »
ok, it's simple, a guy throws his knife at you, you're a good aimer, you block his knife by throwing your own into his...
b&

Offline adam01526

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 02:57:10 pm »
ok, it's simple, a guy throws his knife at you, you're a good aimer, you block his knife by throwing your own into his...

i got that bit but i dont see the point it would make more sense to try and dodge.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 09:43:16 am »
Reflecting a knife with a knife, or with one-shot - maybe. Or even one-shot with a one-shot. But autos and semi-autos shouldnt be involved. Otherwise knife or semi-autos vs. autos would be useless:
player 1: *throws a knife*
player 2: *shoots ruger*
player 3: SPRRRAYYYYY <<<--====--=-=-=
knife: *all over the map*
ruger bullets: *ricochetting off auto's bullets*
player 3: DOUBLE KILL

Auto vs. auto will be even worse:
player 1: SPRRRAYYYYY <<<--====--=-=-=|||--==--=-=-=-=->>> SPRRRAAYYYY :player 2

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 01:42:47 pm »
thanks for reminding me of that loner i wasn't quite sober while starting the thread ;/
he just explained the basic structure of my idea. knives hit knives in mid-air, so do 1-shots (it still would be VERY hard to do and the chances of it happening would be quite low so don't whine about that thing) and maybe LAW's\M79's bullets colliding in mid-air as well.
b&

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 04:05:27 pm »
f12, this would be awesome :D
check out my server! click here

If at first you don't succeed, Improvise! :D

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 01:26:31 pm »
Collision of bullets has been suggested before, or at least the suggestion about being able to deflect shots/knife/nade with bullets. A more diluted explanation:

Unfortunately, this idea is terrible for Soldat. Not only does it promote the automatic weapon more than necessary, it causes the autos to be the only genuinely useful weapon in Soldat and make semis and 1-hitters a piece of crap.

Even if the idea were not for autos, it would diminish the power of semis and 1-hitters. For every shot you fire which is aimed with 100% accuracy, those same shots can be deflected off just like that. What a waste, everyone would still use autos because of this, since every auto bullet is worth less and can be sprayed, while semis and 1-hitters emphasize so much on aim, only for it to be deflected.

Soldat rewards accuracy with damage being done to the target, and rewards evasion with the target completely avoiding damage and being able to possibly turn the tide of battle. There are no shields against any projectile in Soldat except other players, corpses, most polys and colliders.

The only exception to this is the explosive projectiles in Soldat. A M79/LAW/Nade/Flamed Arrow meeting another M79/LAW/Nade/Flamed Arrow (not necessarily m79 and m79, can be m79 and law etc, BUT nade and nade will never explode on contact) = both projectiles explode. This has worked well in particular because:

1) Explosives kill in 1-direct-hit even with a vest (except nades and clusters). This collision can act as a trade-off.
2) People always use grenades. This gives a reason to discourage usage of grenades and gives the M79 the role to punish nade-fanatics. On the other hand, M79 users must shoot quickly, otherwise the nade and their own M79 would explode too near the user and the whole thing may backfire as a result.
3) Explosions in Soldat are relatively small and each explosion has limited power, so it may be necessary to use other projectiles to aid in creating a bigger explosion radius and power for offensive purposes or a more powerful explosion boost/push. (Eg: Nade + M79 = DOUBLE BOOM) This is a very important aspect in Soldat.
4) Only the M79 and Flamed Arrows(Rambo) have practical usage of this explosive collision ability. Who would aim a LAW at a nade or an incoming M79 shot? You'd not waste it on that, you'd shoot the player directly. Besides, in practice, how many times do you see a LAW and a M79 collide, or even a M79 against a M79 for the matter? It is usually a rare case unless everyone's going M79-fest.
5) This is limited to only explosives so it gives explosive weapons a unique trait. At the same time, Soldat has a variety of other significantly unique weapons. Besides, isn't it boring to always see everyone in a server using the same few weapons?
6) This creates an interesting thing about the M79. The offensive-rushing M79 is ironically also a counter-offensive rushing weapon. So what happens when an offensive M79 meets another offensive M79? They try to counter each others' offensive and they succeed, at the cost of being unable to bring out their offense on each other. This is a real test of skill, movement, aim and timing.

For any other ordinary bullets, there would not be a practical use and causes more gameplay complications and unbalance. It is the explosive projectiles that has a special exception.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 01:34:58 pm by STM1993 »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 05:14:51 pm »
STM1993, you have some good points, but dont forget that bullets are small, and the chance that 2 bullets will be in the same 2-pixel-wide spot is very low, so it shouldn't be as bas as you describe (as long as it's semi-vs-semi).

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 06:36:00 pm »
Is everyone forgetting that lag would make this impossible to perform intentionally?
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 12:10:58 am »
^ Riiight... lag, and the size of the bullets would make it difficult as well...

Ultimately, it's a big F11 for the suggestion.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 09:42:41 am »
Damn you guys...
I wanted some fun features...and you condemned my idea to the death row ;D
b&

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 04:15:21 pm »
meh thats why you dont expect any of your ideas to get added, they always get shot down to hell, lol

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 04:15:52 pm »
Yeah, all forgot about lag. Not that it'll make much difference, since the chance of bullets colliding is a bit random in the first place.

Damn you guys...
I wanted some fun features...and you condemned my idea to the death row ;D
Well, at least your suggestion was interesting. Unlike.. ew.. vehiculz

Offline frosty

• Flagrunner
  • Uber Desert Eagle ^^
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 04:19:16 pm »
LOL yeh that was rediculous