Author Topic: Spawn close to "x"  (Read 849 times)

Offline tendulker

• Major(1)
Spawn close to "x"
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:56:18 pm »
I dunno if this has already been shot down before, so this could easily turn into a stupid topic, but as far as I know, there isn't any option ingame/in scripting that have you spawn close to a specific target, such as in

http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=10968.0

I was thinking of making it so you would have many spawn points all across the map but everybody would spawn at one or a few points that were closest to a certain target.

WHAT SAY U?

Offline iDante

• Veteran
Re: Spawn close to "x"
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 11:55:19 pm »
Very possible with scripting.

I don't really like it as anything else though as it would be complicated to implement.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 04:17:21 am »
Don't certain TW scripts allow you to spawn at newly taken strongpoints? If so, I guess a similar script could easely be made to support this idea.
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 03:16:06 pm »
why not? this would definitely help on maps like climbing maps, and other sub-games? although not if it takes too many scripts or codes...that would cause some messy results ;/
b&

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 09:31:46 am »
Since we dont really have any OFFICIAL game modes that would really need this, I'd say leave it to scripts.
No need to add features that the original game won't even use.

Offline Gnoblar

• Flagrunner
  • Wherever Justice needs to be served.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 09:30:54 am »
God scripts are awesome.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 10:37:41 am »
As someone  who personally scripts and draws their own games, i take the path of simplicity of use and implementation :

Use scripts for your server.

A good script will go a long way. and suppplement the time and effort required to permanently implement a canon feature.

Spawn to point X is a useful and enjoyable feature, especially for specific addons (where X is a constantly dynamic integer) , but for the majority of arcade experiences, it is an unnecessary and cumbersome variable to cater for.

Thus for the experiences that require it, a personalised script would be used. For the most case, a random selection between given spawn points is enough.

Lets say the map format is a constantly evolving entity, (which, unfortunately it isnt) a feature to choose between ;
'pick from these spawn locations'
or
'pick the spawn location closest to X'
would be a great feature, and IMO something that would inspire map creativity, but within the practical confines of actually building a game, the lesser system will be chosen first.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 10:40:47 am by KYnetiK »
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*