Author Topic: Filter out custom gamemodes  (Read 1879 times)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Filter out custom gamemodes
« on: June 23, 2009, 02:53:41 pm »
With the amount of modded servers (especially in CTF) I think it's about time some kind of filter was implemented.

Filtering out servers by scripts won't work, this is why:
- Some servers are using minor scripts like "noob lottery" or m79 and barrett limiters, but are still classic gamemodes with no big changes.
- Some servers are not using scripts at all, but are very different from traditional gamemodes (dodgeball is basically R/S with knives-only, on specially designed maps).

How this could be shown in soldat menu:
In gamemodes list there could be another item called "custom game modes".
In order for the server to show up in this list, there can be a specific script. When this script is recognized by soldat, it makes the server belong to "custom game modes" category.

In case some people would like to filter servers by other gamemodes (CTF, INF, DM, etc.), but have custom gamemode servers to show up as well (basically what we have right now) - in the filter menu there can be "include custom gamemodes".
Or instead you can specify this in the options, where you want custom game modes to show up - among normal servers, or as a separate game mode.

Or perhaps you can suggest a better way of how this can be done.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
Re: Filter out custom gamemodes
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 06:44:34 pm »
There aren't so many custom gamemode servers to need a script to look for all of them. There aren't more than 80 servers with people playing in. If the subgamemode uses CTF, then filter CTF servers and look for the names in the servers of the ~30 CTF servers there could be.

Also if you find a custom gamemode server, you can always add it to favorites.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 07:52:07 pm »
There aren't so many custom gamemode servers to need a script to look for all of them. There aren't more than 80 servers with people playing in. If the subgamemode uses CTF, then filter CTF servers and look for the names in the servers of the ~30 CTF servers there could be.

Also if you find a custom gamemode server, you can always add it to favorites.

Unfortunately there ARE many custom gamemode servers, I'm surprised how you didn't notice them. CTF is full of Hexers, MMods, hide and seeks, dodgeballs, a $hitload of zombie survivals, trenchwars, !elite, and other in CTF alone.
It's not about finding the mod you want. It's about getting all those mods out of your sight, so that it's easier to browse through normal servers and find the ones you want.

And trust me, it takes a long time to look through even just 30 of them. You gotta look at how many players there are now and whats the max, whats the ping on the server, read its name to ensure it's not a mod. For every single one until you find one that suits you.

Offline ~Niko~

• Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 07:58:13 pm »
Well, I don't play Soldat since almost a month, so I didn't know there were so many...

PHP parser and a website to do that kind of filter?

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 08:01:09 pm »
Well, I don't play Soldat since almost a month, so I didn't know there were so many...

Thats a nice idea and would totally work if someone had the time and wish to do it,
but with growing scripting capabilities and number of mods, it'd still be better to have something already built-in. :S

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 06:21:10 pm »
bump <_<

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 07:01:51 pm »
People have been kicking and screaming for better filters since before I started. Its the most glaringly obvious flaw in soldat for me. So I F12.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 06:29:27 am »

Thats a nice idea and would totally work if someone had the time and wish to do it,
but with growing scripting capabilities and number of mods, it'd still be better to have something already built-in. :S

That sounds fun to do in my free time, especially since I wrote the current PHP lobby browser at rr.soldat.pl. Thing is, I have no idea how to sort it by that info, since the servers don't report the scripts it's running.

atm all you can do is use the online lobby to sort out servers with modded weapons.
There are other worlds than these

DarkCrusade

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 06:49:39 am »
Well, most custom gamemodes have file extensions. MPA finds the different gamemodes, because they have different extensions:

DB: Dodgeball
LAW: Law Catch
TW: TrenchWar
CS: CounterStrike
KZ: Climbing

There could be a function like that.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 01:29:33 pm »
Good point, DarkCrusade. Not all maps use such extentions, but most do. This can be something to consider when making mod filters.

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 03:12:17 am »
OR they could just add an server name search button implemented in the server list tab.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 03:13:47 am »
Easiest way would be implementing the most famous subgamemodes into Soldat.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 02:30:04 pm »
Easiest way would be implementing the most famous subgamemodes into Soldat.
That would overcomplicate it and won't suit the overall style of Soldat. Climbing has even been added to do-not-suggest list

OR they could just add an server name search button implemented in the server list tab.
That will help you search for the server you want and is a nice thing to add. But that won't help filtering off just modded servers. :/

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 02:44:37 pm »
Search DB, (WM), Trenchwars, Climb and etc.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 02:59:08 pm »
Search DB, (WM), Trenchwars, Climb and etc.
But then it will display me ONLY modded servers. And if i want to display everything BUT modded servers, I would need something else. :/
Not to mention that not all climbing servers have "Climb" in them, and same goes for other modded servers.

Offline PQ

• Camper
  • Charge!
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 03:53:06 pm »
You can just use the new lobby right?

Wonder what modded is though. Many servers without scripts or non-default weaponmods are modded.. >.>
#2Wai.soldat @ quakenet.org Soldat's heaven

Offline freestyler

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 04:00:54 pm »
How about adding something like 'CustomMode=1' to server.ini? Admins would set it to appropriate value to help either those who search modded ones and those who want to ignore them.