Author Topic: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine  (Read 9878 times)

Offline Grimbad

• Soldier
  • Kharn
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
« on: May 31, 2009, 05:19:53 pm »

ETA: 1-3 months (I work slowly.)
Well, I was going to put off the announcement until I had more to show, but all of a sudden THQ has announced a cheap knockoff version of my work  ;) . Rats. So I figured that as long as they're announcing their Warhammer 40k: Space Marine, I'd announce mine. Please note that this is not a Dawn of War mod. It's based entirely on the background material and tabletop game set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

In short, this mod is designed mainly for single player. Teams consist of 1-5 Imperial Space Marines vs. 10-20 other creatures. The weapons mod (and a heavily modded one it is) is designed so that the marines will not have trouble wading through fire to mess people up with power fists, chainswords, and all the other fun stuff they use.

Thanks to Ivahn's mod config, it's perfectly usable online. Simply select your favorite weapons and log onto a server. I've been doing this for a while to test it.

http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=34631.0;attach=21587;image
Here's the current lineup, or most of it anyways. Uses Ivahn's mod config program. Weapons with a ^ are not show (usually not started yet).
Left to right, top to bottom.
1- Storm Bolter, Twin Bolt Pistols (Sisters of Battle designs)^
2- Sisters of Battle Boltgun (Godwyn-Deaz Pattern), Flamer, Twin Autopistols^.
3- Astartes MkIVb Godwyn Bolter, Death Korps of Krieg lasrifle^, Sternguard Bolter (normal mode)
3.5- Sternguard Bolter: This combines the 3 and 4 slots to make one weapon with two modes. I've attempted to make a good demonstration of how this works here.
4- MkIII Bolt Pistol, Cadian Lasgun^, Sternguard Bolter Special Munitions
5- Hand Flamer^
6- Plasma Pistol
7- Meltagun, Imperial Guard Grenade Launcher
8- Bolter w/Stalker silenced shells and scope, Auspex
9- Plasma Gun, Ork Shoota, Chaos Bolter (World Eaters)^, Tyranid Fleshborer^
10- Astartes Heavy bolter (man-portable version [the kind Scouts use], needs more work), Heavy Stubber^, Big Shoota^.
Socom- Bolt Pistol, Lascannon (The lascannon is a resize of the original, way-too-big one I did, also shown. Needs some more work.)
Knife- Astartes Combat Knife^, Chainsword (because it's a sword with a chainsaw built in, not the other way around. uses a modified .POA animation, which has the same number of frames and thus works online)
Chainsaw- Paired Lightning Claws, Power Fist^, Space Marine Backpack*, Backpack with Back Banner*, Chainaxe (World Eaters)
Law- Plasma Cannon, Missile Launcher

Gosteks: Will include Imperial and Chaos Marines (still figuring out if these will be separate gosteks), Orks, Tyranids, Deth Korps Guardsmen/Chaos Renegade Guardsmen (probably one gostek), Cadian guardsmen, Sisters of Battle, and maybe Space Marine Scouts.

+++
Update
Work has slowed down a lot on this, as I find myself playing the game more than drawing in paint.
In the event I never finish, here's a 'test version'.
http://www.filefront.com/13985587/SpaceMarine.rar

It includes a chainaxe instead of lightning claws, that was an accident, I personally use the axe but it's not finished.
It doesn't have a configurator, spas-12, or LAW, and it's just the space marine weapons set.
It does have a weapons mod for singleplayer.
+++

GW IP policy. This mod is completely unofficial, etc, see their generic disclaimers.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 01:43:29 pm by Grimbad »
!@#$%

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
  • It's a real burn, being right so often.
Re: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 03:42:59 pm »
Looks nice so far but the weapons could be a bit darker (do you have gosteks?)

Offline Dairy

• Veteran
  • (F)ornication (U)nder (C)onsent of the (K)ing
    • http://www.soldatforums.com/index.php?topic=571.0
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 03:56:37 pm »
I cannot add anything else, the weapons are nice so far and they could be better with darker colors.

And maybe I'm not right but for me the 1st picture is obviously a proof he got even gosteks...

Offline Henito Kisou

• Flagrunner
  • Cursed Mind
    • Me on deviantART
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 04:03:12 pm »
Looks like "night of the brightness rape" for me. But detailed and nice, just turn on more contrast.

Offline Grimbad

• Soldier
  • Kharn
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 07:43:54 pm »
I suspect some of that has to do with transparency green being painful when it isn't transparent. The plasma ones are the only ones I'd consider really bright. But thank you, and I'll try to make them a bit more shady.
Here's some menu screenies against the softer backgrounds of Ivahn's mod config and TW rage. The rage one should also give some hints about the weapons mod.

I have gosteks almost done for most. Not that I'm any good at gostekking... (edit: gosteks screenshot. that's an imperial marine vs. two hormagaunts. The gaunts are supposed to be hive fleet kraken, but the bravo team colors messes that up. I'll probably switch em to hive fleet behemoth.)
If you watch my avatar for a while you'll see a marine firing his bolter (after skull & crossbones). That's with the backpack on. There's also gaunts swarming up Abel hill in proper Kraken colors.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 08:02:31 pm by Grimbad »
!@#$%

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 08:07:38 pm »
The weapons still look to bright....sorry  :-\

Offline Grimbad

• Soldier
  • Kharn
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 08:29:38 pm »
The weapons still look to bright....sorry  :-\
Hmmm... I'll fiddle around with a photo editor a bit.
This headed in the right direction? Left new, right original.

As a side note, my actual warhammer stuff is too bright too.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 08:33:12 pm by Grimbad »
!@#$%

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 08:39:40 pm »
For shotgun use the lawbringer, or a bolter which shoots metal storm frag shells.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Bolt
Ammunition part

Also i think chainsword would be better as saw, and a single lightning claw should be the knife.
Plasma shouldnt be minimi, it should be the law, and the storm bolter would be fine as the minimi, while the deagles should be replaced by a combi bolter.

Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline Grimbad

• Soldier
  • Kharn
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 08:44:17 pm »
For shotgun use the lawbringer, or a bolter which shoots metal storm frag shells.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Bolt
Ammunition part

I was going to do metal storm, but then I saw that that would make three bolters and two bolt pistols in a pure space marine lineup. Kinda lame-looking, it was. Lawbringer will be an option if I do a scout gostek.
Plasma gun in the tabletop shoots just as fast as a bolter, with the same range. Plasma cannon on the other hand, is more suited to Law, which is why that's what it's going to be.
Edit: I might throw metal storm back in as a sternguard bolter special ammo.

Can you throw a lightning claw?
The chainsword has saw sounds as the knife slash and knife draw. I'll also put in a power sword there, though.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 08:50:31 pm by Grimbad »
!@#$%

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 09:04:45 pm »
Here is (what I think) what it should look like...

(mines on top...duh)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 09:10:18 pm by MattH »

Offline Grimbad

• Soldier
  • Kharn
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 09:20:08 pm »
Here is (what I think) what it should look like...

Looks good. Trying to keep a 'codex' grey scheme for standard marine weapons, though, so keeping the grey. Though I do need a world eaters (red) bolter in addition to the standard...
Edit: just noticed that you colored right over the ejection port. I know it's just an example, but I'm a stickler. :P

Edit-edit: More tweaking has produced a spectrum in bolter. Which is best?
edit edit edit: I'm partial to bottom right. It's darker but has more defined detail.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 12:23:57 am by Grimbad »
!@#$%

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 08:39:31 am »
Personally I like the bottom left but you will have to ask around to see what other people think.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 11:35:32 am »
Personally I like the bottom left but you will have to ask around to see what other people think.

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 12:31:59 pm »
They still look just a little too bright in-game, try fixing that. Oh and the AK variant looks too "fat". What's up with that?
b&

Offline Grimbad

• Soldier
  • Kharn
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 07:17:51 pm »
Adjusted to a bit further than the bottom right one. This's how the whole lineup would look. (added World Eaters chaos bolter to minimi line, corrected foregrip on all marine bolter variants to match AK, also tweaked flamer to make the head look less twisted)
And an ingame shot with the bolter from that compilation (ak) attached, the bottom right from the six (minimi), and the original sniper bolter. I like the bottom right still. It's dark but I can still see it. On TW_Rage, I could barely see the darker one at all.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 07:55:30 pm by Grimbad »
!@#$%

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 08:53:35 am »
Now it's just ok :)
Nice work.
b&

Offline Grimbad

• Soldier
  • Kharn
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 06:37:19 pm »
Now it's just ok :)
Nice work.
Yeah, in retrospect the originals do look too bright. Thank you all, you guys make me glad I posted a preview.  :)
Here's the whole set brought to match the bottom-right bolter. Ignore the meltagun; it didn't get adjusted and is still very much in progress.
The adjustment, while it brought out some detail in the bolters (especially the heavy bolter), flattened that on the plasma guns, so I adjusted them seperately and differently. The darkening also makes the glowy bitz look glowier.
The ingames still need darkening to match, but that's another story.
!@#$%

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 06:40:23 pm »
The boltgun needs a bit more shading...

So far so good keep it up. ;)

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 12:59:27 pm »
Give the boltgun a darker yellow. Work the shading.
b&

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2009, 07:50:36 am »
Looks pretty "Oldschool".

I like. Keep it up.
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh