Author Topic: Ok so...  (Read 35967 times)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Re: Ok so...
« Reply #220 on: July 08, 2009, 02:35:36 pm »
What are we supposed to laugh at...? Please do not be disrespectful.

In fact unless, there are still viable arguments/comments and things to discuss concerning the purpose of this thread, I think it ran its course.

I won't even add anything. :]

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
Ok so... vol.7
« Reply #221 on: September 10, 2009, 09:03:55 am »
-- I'm annoyed by anything that stops me from working on games and it annoys me that EnEsCe could have also done some work instead of writing long posts and conducting "interviews". --

http://twitter.com/enesce/statuses/3881544158

Offline xurich

• Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
« Reply #222 on: September 10, 2009, 02:51:40 pm »
What's the point here

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #223 on: September 10, 2009, 03:10:05 pm »
Seriously. So many of us want to help with Soldat. But we are never given the chance.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #224 on: September 10, 2009, 03:11:35 pm »
The point is that MM's all about EnEsCe working instead of chatting here with us. What he actually does is playing other games than Soldat! That's just horrible...

I'd love to see some progress info of the current Soldat version instead of rather unexciting stories about other games. MM is doing way better on the PR side.

Probably I'm just biased.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #225 on: September 10, 2009, 03:20:47 pm »
I do miss MM...
What I want is a group of people working on it. Seriously. Even I could help.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #226 on: September 10, 2009, 03:27:20 pm »
I do miss MM...
What I want is a group of people working on it. Seriously. Even I could help.
Well, it's become clear that neither NSC, nor MM want your (and not only your) wish to come true.
However you could help with development of open-source Soldat clone: http://opensoldat.u13.net/forum/index.php

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #227 on: September 10, 2009, 03:34:39 pm »
Soldat is starting to wither away because of hackers and people just slowly getting bored. He needs help. He SHOULD accept it.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #228 on: September 10, 2009, 03:40:37 pm »
Soldat is starting to wither away because of hackers and people just slowly getting bored.
BattlEye should soon be updated, so hopefully hackerswill be dealt with.

He needs help. He SHOULD accept it.
Whether it is so or not - he doesn't care. Complaining about that any more won't change anything. Let's wait for 1.5.1 so we can get another reason to complain. Or maybe hope for a miracle to happen.

Offline xurich

• Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
« Reply #229 on: September 10, 2009, 04:31:02 pm »
The point is that MM's all about EnEsCe working instead of chatting here with us. What he actually does is playing other games than Soldat! That's just horrible...

I'd love to see some progress info of the current Soldat version instead of rather unexciting stories about other games. MM is doing way better on the PR side.

Probably I'm just biased.

Come on, you can't honestly expect to guy to code Soldat every waking hour. You don't spend every minute of your free time on your workload, do you? He's entitled to play other games just as much as anybody else here. It doesn't mean that he's not investing adequate time in the development of Soldat as well.

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #230 on: September 10, 2009, 07:35:31 pm »
Damn, this actually happened while I was gone?

Anyways, although NSC did something way too sudden without any explanation, people should realize how really stressful it is to have such big responsibility.

Now I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but each should see other's perspective thought. This incident could've been prevented if NSC didn't rush too much.
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline F4||3N

• Soldier
« Reply #231 on: September 10, 2009, 07:50:44 pm »
Once Modern Warfare 2 comes out, I'm gone.
I'll still play. But 12 hours a day will be committed to MW2.

Offline xurich

• Flagrunner
    • SCTFL
« Reply #232 on: September 10, 2009, 08:26:46 pm »
Thanks for the info, man, but what does it have to do with the topic at hand?

Offline F4||3N

• Soldier
« Reply #233 on: September 10, 2009, 09:59:07 pm »
Thanks for the info, man, but what does it have to do with the topic at hand?

If you're referring to me, I thought this was the Soldat is dying topic.... -,-''

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #234 on: September 11, 2009, 01:24:53 pm »
It's impossible to run soldat's dev-ing by one man unless MM gets back to what already is his biggest achievement ever. Even if link dead works out peachy, it'll be partially affected by his experience with soldat, and you ALL know that the original things are always the best. A small example would be saying that the 1st Silent Hill was the best.
And since MM isn't likely to go back to working on soldat I say either make a team of 3-4 less experienced developers, or make Shoozza and EnEsCe work TOGETHER, with regular inspections of both of their works.
b&

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #235 on: September 14, 2009, 02:06:51 pm »
It's impossible to run soldat's dev-ing by one man unless MM gets back to what already is his biggest achievement ever. Even if link dead works out peachy, it'll be partially affected by his experience with soldat, and you ALL know that the original things are always the best. A small example would be saying that the 1st Silent Hill was the best.
And since MM isn't likely to go back to working on soldat I say either make a team of 3-4 less experienced developers, or make Shoozza and EnEsCe work TOGETHER, with regular inspections of both of their works.

I think the devs don't want any change.
I will not discuss the reasons here because it will end up in flaming against them.
To change something you need to convince EnEsCe to accept another dev.
Talking about how bad it is will not change anything.

The idea to make a team of 3-4 other people who work on Soldat is even less realistic
since that would mean that EnEsCe has to stop developing Soldat, which he will not unless MM forces him to stop.
And you have seen this isn't really going to happen.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #236 on: September 14, 2009, 02:37:08 pm »
How can you convince EnEsCe to anything if he's ignoring the whole community?

I'd be so glad if he understood to release a bugfix BEFORE adding new stuff, after a short period of time since the last release. That's what he almost did but huh what happened?

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #237 on: September 14, 2009, 03:10:05 pm »
Well it's kinda what I call an amateur's mistake, he was under a lot of pressure from being assigned as soldat's sole dev, and didn't think about fixing bugs left over from 1.4.2 before adding the new stuff.
b&

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #238 on: September 14, 2009, 03:21:49 pm »
How can you convince EnEsCe to anything if he's ignoring the whole community?

Good question. Sadly I don't have an answer for you.
I also have a few suggestions he will possibly never follow.
And it's not like I haven't tried to convince EnEsCe multiple times.
I guess he takes it as criticism and therefore dislikes what I write.
As far as I can say the ping fraud event could be one of the reasons which made him 'ignore' the community.

I'd be so glad if he understood to release a bugfix BEFORE adding new stuff, after a short period of time since the last release. That's what he almost did but huh what happened?

Releasing a bugfix also requires some communication.
Like $able needs to update BE to work with the new version and MM needs to create an installer and pack everything.
This could take one month depending on how busy they are. So it cannot be done in a few weeks, you understand.

I totally agree that a bugfix only release a few months (3 or so) after the final release would be useful (and possible).
But that's not up to me.

You know that 1.5.0 was supposed to be 1.4.2 - a bugfix release?
I think one reason why it didn't stay a bugfix release was because features are fun bugs are annoying.

I hope I didn't went too far away from your questions.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #239 on: September 14, 2009, 03:23:48 pm »
I didn't mean the jump from 1.4.2 to 1.5.0. What I said is exactly what he is doing right now.

As I said, bugfix was what he intended to do, but then came the "new stuff."

@Shoozza: Yeah, you're correct about it taking more than just a couple of days, yet it shouldn't take years. I just don't understand why EnEsCe doesn't do what is best for pretty much everyone in the community, including himself. Release bugfix before new stuff - gain respect.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 03:26:42 pm by Dusty »