Author Topic: My originals.  (Read 2127 times)

Offline ScHaLL

• Major(1)
My originals.
« on: October 13, 2009, 10:03:17 pm »
Man I haven't used this nick for quite a while.

Well, I thought I could try and get some more attention for my music here, if I can't, feel free to fuck me six ways from sunday.

This is my latest one, "The Damage done": http://tindeck.com/listen/hfuc
Also noteworthy is "Open the Sunrise": http://tindeck.com/listen/snro
And "Berlin Voltage": http://tindeck.com/listen/sdvc

Here's a link to my entire tindeck page: http://tindeck.com/users/Silver+Bay
And my newgrounds profile, which isn't that far though: http://uberschall.newgrounds.com/

It would rock so hard if some of you commented on some of this stuff, that would mean a lot to me. And also I'll promise to get more active around here again :P.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
Re: My originals.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 10:43:27 pm »
I gotta say, as much as people post music on here, listening to this wasn't half bad.  And that's no insult.

I may be wrong, but after listening to the tracks you posted it sounds like you're hitting a wall.  With no lyrics, what do you do with a track?  I heard repetition - which, done properly, can be great.

Let me focus on your latest, which, I thought was good.  I'm rather impressed actually, as I wouldn't know where to begin to do this. 

Seems like you're working in a 1/8 time for the entire song.  I might be wrong on that, but the point is the same  - I think you could add more depth to your sound by slowing or hastening the tempo for particular portions.  Could help with some of the builds you want to do (partial reference to the other tracks you posted).  On top of that, I'd even suggest pauses or breaks in the track - if a certain section needs a calm, there's no need for the tempo that introduced the track to be there.  I say this because (in reference to the most recent track) there were few times that I didn't hear percussion of the same time signature that started the track, from start to finish.

I could think of some more, and I just might.  But this is my offer

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 10:44:41 pm »
Don't have time to check it out now, but I will later.
As for now, could you describe what kind of genre your music is? Also, are you on Last.fm by any chance?

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 11:15:13 pm »
As for now, could you describe what kind of genre your music is?

Then don't post now if you ask questions like that :|
The music is there for you to find out. It's a redundant question.

I think this music is pretty intriguing. I like listening to it, and I want to listen to each the whole song. I hate this comparison I am about to make... but Berlin Voltage causes me to think back to the Cortex Command soundtrack.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 11:25:33 pm »
As for now, could you describe what kind of genre your music is?

Then don't post now if you ask questions like that :|
The music is there for you to find out. It's a redundant question.
Well, I wouldn't want to waste my time on something I don't like. Also, some people can define same music with different genres. I would still like to know what would you call this kind of music so I can compare it with what it sounds like to me.

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 11:51:07 pm »
those tracks would make excellent background music for a video game.
but as standalone tracks they're not pulling me in.  i guess it's because of the repetition, as Geo mentioned.  a bigger variety in melody would be great.

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

Offline ScHaLL

• Major(1)
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 10:58:18 am »
Thanks for the comments, that's awesome.

And yeah, I'm kind of running against a wall. It's hard for me to find a vocalist and the repetitive character of this has been pointed out before. Imma find a way there.
I agree that it's kind of soundtrack music, I wouldn't want to listen to music like that all day long either, to be honest.

Offline Eagles_Arrows

• Veteran
  • The Thread Killer
    • My Webcomic
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 11:10:00 am »
you could always try your hand at hiphop

"Sometimes it's a good day to die, sometimes it's a good day to have breakfast." - Smoke Signals

DarkCrusade

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 11:23:09 am »
I got to say you are good, I like it as a soundtrack but it´s not the way that I would listen to it somewhen else than right now :)

@Loner: My god, you posted twice without saying much and you say listening to music is a waste of time?

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 03:09:35 pm »
Try going RATM style. Just try.
b&

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 03:17:01 pm »
what program do u use? u use any audio interfaces or midi controllers? you do the stuff i like to do except i never tried doing that kind of music.

nice work, could use some equalizing, but it might just be my work computer stock speakers and anything out of that is not great to begin with
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline ScHaLL

• Major(1)
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 03:36:58 pm »
what program do u use? u use any audio interfaces or midi controllers? you do the stuff i like to do except i never tried doing that kind of music.

nice work, could use some equalizing, but it might just be my work computer stock speakers and anything out of that is not great to begin with

I'm using FL Studio with a variety of VSTi-Plugins... Absynth, FM8, and so on. Thanks for the comment.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 04:04:20 pm »
I just wanted to know what genre it is. Geez.
But it seems that there's no definite answer to my question anyway.

You've done a good job trying different styles. Although I find "The Damage is Done" and "Reunited" a bit repetitive, without much of a change from the start til end but still, they have a good feel to them. Those two tracks reminded me of music by Mati Paalanen (aka Essence). You might want to visit his music sites for "Celestial Aeon Project" and "Project Divinity" for examples and inspiration. http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=48147
Overall I liked all of your tracks so far (which is rare for me). Keep up the good work. :)

Offline ScHaLL

• Major(1)
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 07:04:46 pm »
I got up something new: http://tindeck.com/listen/jqbn

Cherry Petals.

Thanks for the comment Loner, the link you posted is really damn interesting, too.