Poll

Do you want more people working and developing Soldat?

Yes
38 (84.4%)
No
4 (8.9%)
Maybe
3 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Why can't we get more people working on Soldat?  (Read 21447 times)

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
Re: Why can't we get more people working on Soldat?
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2009, 03:01:03 am »
Look at the graphics, gameplay and quality, no way to compare. Why are we still on about it...
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Biggles

• Flagrunner
  • Mapping rotating
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2009, 03:04:28 am »
You have a point there, upgrade the graphics

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2009, 03:18:41 am »
Look at the graphics, gameplay and quality, no way to compare. Why are we still on about it...
it's 2d, retro, old-school as such graphics. I don't play soldat cause of its graphics..

Soldat has the best fast pace-action game play I've played. That's why i like the game play, it's simple, easy to play, but at the same time is fun and addicting

CS isn't as original, and is just another boring fps. But that's my opinion.

Whatever you all say, Soldat will NEVER get as good as CS. Jeez Soldat is out of it's league in fact. Comparing these 2 games together is just rather pathetic. Anyways, please get back on topic...CS has nothing to do with what we are talking about here.

I don't think comparing Soldat to CS is not so much pathetic as it is comparing apples to oranges... Really, you can't compare Soldat to FPS's.

Read that scar face and you'll perhaps understand.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 03:21:21 am by Boots »
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2009, 07:12:42 am »
Poll is added to either whether YOU think there should be more developers for Soldat. Also, if you would like please give some advice or indication onto who YOU would like working and producing the new Soldat versions.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2009, 09:31:03 am »
Who? Someone who:

- First and foremost develops the game for the gamers and for their needs.
- Can develop the game actively and release multiple versions per year
- Is willing to solely fix the bugs and is able to write even somewhat bug free code with the current Soldat code base
- Is willing to listen to the community, is part of the community and understands the needs of the community
- Is not a complete jerk as a person, is trustworthy and believes that sharing is caring.

But really, all I am asking for is ACTIVITY. Get something done and RELEASE. Needs fixes? FIX and then RELEASE again. Simple as that.

Edit: See the change log of pre 1.2 Soldat and you know what I mean.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2009, 09:37:06 am »
But really, all I am asking for is ACTIVITY. Get something done and RELEASE. Needs fixes? FIX and then RELEASE again. Simple as that.

Well, who are the current Soldat developers? The two obvious ones, EnEsCe and MM (kinda), and then you've got Shoozza and ChrisGBK. We're uncertain if either of them are doing anything at all, and a while back EH said something like Shoozza already has the sauce code, but eC won't let him use it etc.

Regardless, the Soldat developers all need to sit down, have a talk, and decide who does what and discuss the possibility of admitting another developer into the mix.
There are other worlds than these

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2009, 09:52:49 am »
but.. who cares? soldat will die as soon as openSoldat comes out, soldat is too poorly coded from start in a too weak language.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2009, 10:05:53 am »
but.. who cares? soldat will die as soon as openSoldat comes out, soldat is too poorly coded from start in a too weak language.

Nothing you just said is 100% true.

1) but.. who cares? - if we didn't care, this thread wouldn't be here
2) soldat will die as soon as openSoldat comes out - no, it won't. there will remain a loyal following. And that's assuming openSoldat does eventually come out, which I'm not entirely confident on.
3) soldat is too poorly coded from start in a too weak language. - delphi isn't weak, even though Soldat could have been written better.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:09:04 am by jrgp »
There are other worlds than these

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #108 on: October 12, 2009, 10:12:20 am »
oS will be on par with Soldat in about three years.

I'm with Clawbug here, as I have always been.

@below: it's like 150 people who browse these forums... You should honestly try thinking outside the box.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:32:29 am by Dusty »

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2009, 10:30:06 am »

Nothing you just said is 100% true.

1) but.. who cares? - if we didn't care, this thread wouldn't be here
2) soldat will die as soon as openSoldat comes out - no, it won't. there will remain a loyal following. And that's assuming openSoldat does eventually come out, which I'm not entirely confident on.
3) soldat is too poorly coded from start in a too weak language. - delphi isn't weak, even though Soldat could have been written better.
it's like 5 people who write in this topic...

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2009, 10:33:04 am »

Well, who are the current Soldat developers? The two obvious ones, EnEsCe and MM (kinda), and then you've got Shoozza and ChrisGBK. We're uncertain if either of them are doing anything at all, and a while back EH said something like Shoozza already has the sauce code, but eC won't let him use it etc.

Regardless, the Soldat developers all need to sit down, have a talk, and decide who does what and discuss the possibility of admitting another developer into the mix.
Another developer isn't going to do anything when the entire development dynamic is shot based on what Shoozza posted. Soldat should just be open-sourced. The only thing MM loses is registration monies unless he's willing to shell out for an authentication server.
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2009, 12:01:17 pm »
Even though Counter-Strike: Source came out (quite a long time ago too) there are still people who play original Counter-Strike. That's just one example. And there's still a very long way before oS reaches same level as Soldat, so I wouldn't count on that too much.

I'm sure that having 2-3 people working on the game won't hurt. Sure at first it might be hard to work as a team. However that's not the reason to not try to overcome that, not the reason to leave things as they are now. I'm sure things can get organized if everyone works towards that.
NSC just needs to accept that his point of view isn't the only one that matters, and stop seeing everyone as his enemies who just want to get rid of him.
Though I honestly doubt that it'll ever happen.

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2009, 02:35:02 pm »
it's like 5 people who write in this topic...

Yes, we all came to understand how you believe there's no point to any of this a few pages back.

Three options: 1) Stop posting since you don't care. 2) Take an interest and say something useful. 3) Continue prattling on about how nothing matters and how you want to see less topics like this and get a warning.

Your choice.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2009, 02:47:29 pm »
ok then... only 1 developer! because! more developers on a messy code, might not end up too well. happy?~

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2009, 02:50:08 pm »
ok then... only 1 developer! because! more developers on a messy code, might not end up too well. happy?~

*joins the gang bang*
Not well - how and why? More specific plox?

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2009, 02:52:54 pm »
will be messed up, since eC can berly work with the code, just think about how messy it would be with 3 more people trying to figure out how it works and to not ruin the game while they try to develop it.

either it's a recode, or it's a 1 man team.

Offline CatGirl

• Major(1)
« Reply #116 on: October 12, 2009, 02:59:05 pm »
I don't think that MM or EnEsCe wants soldat open sourse and so i do not want it to be like that.
Because Os will ruin soldat because after a short period no one will work on it NO MORE.
New dev like shoozza or any other=Open sourse of soldat

offtopic: -major- open irc! i know you read this >__<

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2009, 03:00:14 pm »
If you can't code in a team you're a terrible, terrible programmer. There's no reason to limit it to 1 developer.

I don't think that MM or EnEsCe wants soldat open sourse and so i do not want it to be like that.
Because Os will ruin soldat because after a short period no one will work on it NO MORE.
Based on what, your imagination?
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #118 on: October 12, 2009, 03:04:27 pm »
If there's a problem with a code - 3 people can look at it from 3 different points of view, share their own experience and come up with a solution much easier. (that, by the way, is what's going on with oS development, and I find it very effective. We were able to find solutions to many different questions.)
One dev might be able to act a bit faster because he doesn't need to worry about teamwork, but he has a much higher chance of making a mistake, not finding the most efficient solution to the problem, etc.

New dev like shoozza or any other=Open sourse of soldat
Why would that be? You can never know for sure.

edit: well, Veritas said it already. :D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 03:06:29 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline CatGirl

• Major(1)
« Reply #119 on: October 12, 2009, 03:05:49 pm »
If you can't code in a team you're a terrible, terrible programmer. There's no reason to limit it to 1 developer.

Based on what, your imagination?
Hmmmm no more reg keys? no more money?everyone will do what ever they want with the game? and some other lame stuff that will just hurt the game.
Hows that for imagination?
Go to 4chan/b/ and become smarter. ^___^