Poll

Do you think soldat needs a new useful scoreboard?

yes
30 (66.7%)
no
15 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: new scoreboard  (Read 7677 times)

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
Re: new scoreboard
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2009, 09:01:44 pm »
That seems useful, but it could be optional. Still, I voted f12 for its good idea.

Nice Korean flag.
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2009, 11:09:25 pm »
Yes, good idea. And have the team that you're on at the top of the scoreboard, for quicker reference. :D
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2009, 11:30:52 pm »
No, Alpha should be top, Bravo bottom. You will get confused all the time otherwise.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 11:17:13 am »
It's time for a new scoreboard.

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 11:37:01 am »
No no no. Make it optional.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 12:31:51 pm »
It's time for a new scoreboard.

Once upon a time there was a hero falling from the sky. The arrival of ... MM. And you :P

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2009, 03:00:44 pm »
First I was like :3 but then I woke up. All hope is not lost.

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2009, 03:48:19 pm »
It looks nice but there is a problem.

Soldat can have up to 32 players.
With your idea we reduce the amount of players you can see by 2 or even 3.
However even Soldats current scoreboard can't show all 32 players.

The idea to add the servername to the scoreboard however could even be added to the current scoreboard.
There is enough space for that.
Your color and the bold text look nice imho.

The scoreboard already needs an update because of the problem that you don't see all players.
Adding the servername could be done too I isn't a huge visual change and I think most players will like it.

I agree with that splitting the list into alpha and beta should either be optional or not added.
I'm not sure where you want to see the K/D ration added there seems to be very few space for that.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline demoniac93

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2009, 04:04:16 pm »
!Kd and !Kdall script can fix that.
b&

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 04:19:12 pm »
Yeah, I think K:D isn't that important, and for those that really need it there are scripts and.. basic math skills.

Well, that is only on very low resolutions, so it's not very common. NVM, I completely forgot about the non-regged players. :S
How about making several pages of a scoreboard? Pressing f1 once would show page 1. Pressing it again will show page 2, and pressing it the third time will hide the scoreboard (that is only if whole thing doesn't fit) or maybe use a smaller font.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:21:16 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline GSx_Major

• Major
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2009, 04:21:18 pm »
Not being registred and thus playing in the default resolution "isn't very common"?
...and headbutt the sucker through your banana suit!

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 04:22:33 pm »
Yeah, I edited that already ;O

Offline GSx_Major

• Major
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 04:24:02 pm »
Beat me by 2 seconds... But still, going through several pages would just be annoying.
...and headbutt the sucker through your banana suit!

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 11:29:31 pm »
How about making the list scrollable, then? As in, when the menu is up, you can use the scrollwheel to scroll up and down the list?
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2009, 09:38:26 am »
As in, when the menu is up, you can use the scrollwheel to scroll up and down the list?

And what if you already use the scrollwheel ingame for other commands? Usually you watch at the list while playing. This would lead into conflicts...
Pressing F1 several times is the best idea imo.

And btw: I'm quite happy that EnEsCe isn't afraid of soldatforums any more. :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 09:43:19 am by Illuminatus »
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2009, 10:12:03 am »
Yeah, I actually like it when he posts. Shows signs of hope for Soldat and he's gonna make our game better! Please visit us more often :D
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Xxypher

• Veteran
  • Soldat Veteran.
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 11:29:08 am »
I may work on my own version of the scoreboard, but I will make it like the original.

Offline kzya

• Major
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2009, 12:31:03 pm »
Soldat can have up to 32 players.
With your idea we reduce the amount of players you can see by 2 or even 3.

First of all, servers with over 16 or even 20 players are extremely weird. Also, taking into account not being registered only gives you the 640x480 resolution as an option obviously what we have is what we have to work with. There are a few alternatives to 'solve' this problem: either you reduce the font size/line-spacing or you go for multiple nicks in one line. Since the width is also heavily restricted this doesn't actually solve anything and ends up being a matter of personal taste. Check the following image for a more vivid explanation

I guess using 2 columns would solve the 32 player problem (albeit packing things a bit, including not showing player names with over 20 characters properly) but I wonder how this actually would look with 4 teams too.
This is what this topic is about, discussing what possibilities and ideas we have to improve the current scoreboard
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 12:35:32 pm by kzya »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2009, 02:33:37 pm »
Yeah, I actually like it when he posts. Shows signs of hope for Soldat and he's gonna make our game better! Please visit us more often :D
Indeed <3

First of all, servers with over 16 or even 20 players are extremely weird. Also, taking into account not being registered only gives you the 640x480 resolution as an option obviously what we have is what we have to work with. There are a few alternatives to 'solve' this problem: either you reduce the font size/line-spacing or you go for multiple nicks in one line. Since the width is also heavily restricted this doesn't actually solve anything and ends up being a matter of personal taste. Check the following image for a more vivid explanation

I guess using 2 columns would solve the 32 player problem (albeit packing things a bit, including not showing player names with over 20 characters properly) but I wonder how this actually would look with 4 teams too.
This is what this topic is about, discussing what possibilities and ideas we have to improve the current scoreboard
This looks like a pretty nice solution. Current scoreboard has a ton of horisontal spacing, might as well put that blank space to a good use. Also, how about increasing the size of scoreboard itself, stretching it to fill the screen more?
But as you mentioned yourself, displaying 2+ teams would become a problem. Ideally scrollbars would be the best solution (that's what other games use too) but as Illuminatus said, this would lead to conflicts with controls.

So I would still say let's make several pages of scoreboard. I know pressing F1 is annoying, but having 20+ players on server at once isn't common (mostly on zombie servers, but zombies are usually the ones at the bottom, so who cares?). Besides, this would make the "custom resolution" feature even more desirable. ;D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:35:14 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Biggles

• Flagrunner
  • Mapping rotating
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2009, 04:22:36 am »
Isn't really important, but yeah why not.