Author Topic: Anyone ever done any competitive (for money) gaming?  (Read 3750 times)

Offline Splinter-Snake

• Soldier
  • One must die, and one must live.
Re: Anyone ever done any competitive (for money) gaming?
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2009, 02:45:05 pm »
No, turning a game into a competition that serious spoils the fun.

How cute.

Offline LtKillroy

• Flagrunner
  • Killroy was here
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2009, 03:36:45 pm »
When games stop being about fun and start being about competition, all your proving is you can do something utterly pointless better than anyone else.
L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace

Offline scout

• Camper
  • Wolverine does'nt have nothing on me now!
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2009, 03:53:18 pm »
I believe that games are created for one sole purpose- which is entertainment for one self.

Or in other cases, time wasters.

Turning a game into a competition for me is quite pointless- it turns the emotional pleasure into tense concentration and at times, frustration( and already even i do get that when playing single players :D).

But other than that, no i won't join a competition when i already know that i don't have the time and skills for it.

Casual gaming ftw.

Offline SadistAtHeart

• Global Moderator
  • Flagrunner
  • golevka
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 11:50:05 am »
I always wanted to play in a competition, if only for the sole purpose of being raped by those who are better than me.

EDIT: wait i mean metaphorically raped

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 01:46:35 pm »
When games stop being about fun and start being about competition, all your proving is you can do something utterly pointless better than anyone else.
Pretty much any online game (including Soldat) is about having fun through competition. The idea that the two are mutually exclusive is p. wack.
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline a-4-year-old

• Veteran
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2009, 02:27:46 pm »
Pretty much any online game (including Soldat) is about having fun through competition. The idea that the two are mutually exclusive is p. wack.
Yes but when you play for money everything is different.
If we hit the bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate. -Zapp Brannigan

Offline iDante

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 01:21:26 am »
Well I went to a brawl tournament on Saturday and it was awesome. The people that won were really nice about it and gave my friends and me some good tips on how to not lose so badly.
I'll definitely be doing it again.

Yes there was money involved with winning and yes they were very serious about winning it. I don't think that made it any less fun at all.

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2009, 07:56:22 am »
Yes but when you play for money everything is different.

Yeah, thinking about competion in games that involves money brings me an image of an angry CS group going on a rage and trashing everything angry german kid style upon dying.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2009, 08:15:31 am »
I have no problem with competitive gaming. I'm pretty horrible at almost every game out there, so there's no future in it for me. But for those who got some real skill, I say go ahead. I have been playing some online poker, and I spend a good deal of my monthly income on football bets, but that's about it. The only problem is when money and fun collide. Keep it apart, and both are cool!
I fucking miss all you cunts!