Poll

Yes or No

F11
63 (65.6%)
F12
33 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Is Soldat Portal Necessary?  (Read 18094 times)

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
Re: Is Soldat Portal Necessary?
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2009, 07:41:15 am »
They have been pointed out a million times and everyone is aware of them and they are commonly present ingame constantly.
If that's the case, then they should be on the bug tracker. It's too hard to track the bugs and fix them, otherwise.

our little white-guy deleted all old reports on mantis...

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2009, 09:29:58 am »
No he didn't. You just have the Soldat 1.5.1 Beta project selected. Change it to All Projects to see the older bug reports.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2009, 09:55:50 am »
Dunno if this happen only with me, but i cant find anything older than the issue 188, ak: crouchbug and stuff...

Offline spag001

• Major(1)
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2009, 11:50:56 am »
hehe... im not alone  :D

Spam. Warn.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 02:04:46 pm by echo_trail »
Come'on! EFC UP!

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2009, 12:57:53 pm »
If I want to PM with soldat friends I do it with a chat program and there are over 9000 of those out there. IRC, MSN, Yahoo, Forums and thats only the start.
Soldat is a game afaik, not a chat client.

Like I've said somewhere before (multiple times) - not everyone uses the same client. I don't want to have MSN, IRC, XFire and a crapload of other clients installed just because one or two of my friends are using them.
With Portal if you and your friends have Soldat - you all already have a way of contacting each other without any additional apps.

And I have absolutely NEVER EVER seen anyone require to protect their nick name.
Heck, I have NOT ever had to protect MY own nick name. Have YOU ever needed to protect your nickname in a fast paced online shooter where all matter that you or your team wins? I highly doubt it. If some asshole was trolling you once by stealing your ingame nick name, then kick his ass, mute him or join another server.
Assholes will always exist to ruin your party, and they will always find a way to troll you anyway.
True, I never really had to protect my nickname. On the other hand - it is possible that some random noob would find out the name of your clan leader, sign in with exact same name and do.. nasty stuff. Better safe than sorry.

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2009, 04:23:58 pm »
my auth on quakenet.org is BIOHAZARD too, always i want to use this exact nick, i hate to ask some1 to lemme to use that. Actually nowdays, a guy is using a BNC with that... anyway he dont understand that i own the auth... so... yeh... i like the nick protection.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2009, 05:36:04 pm »
You think you own the nick because you have the auth? You ask the person having the nick to give it "back"?

lulz maybe you should -- uh, nevermind.

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2009, 05:40:21 pm »
that is my nick, but i cannot say "i am biohazard, fear me" as do in real life when i try to kiss a girl, cuz the quakenet just dont protect the nick. Anyway, i got that auth for half a decade there. So yes, i think i would own the nick.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2009, 05:47:06 pm »
That's just hilarious oh my oh.

Not. Protecting "your" nick is as useless as protecting a seat in a public bus. If your mates can't notice the differences between you and ze other guy you probably should find a tad more intelligent company...

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2009, 06:30:49 pm »
Change your nick to something unique. Not that big of a deal.
There are other worlds than these

Offline The Geologist

• Inactive Staff
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2009, 10:28:21 pm »
but i cannot say "i am biohazard, fear me" as do in real life when i try to kiss a girl

???

Alright..at first I hated the portal.  But I'm getting used to it.  Not saying I like it, but I have yet to experience any problems.  In my limited trial.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams it is
still a beautiful world.  Strive to be happy.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2009, 11:27:13 pm »
that is my nick, but i cannot say "i am biohazard, fear me" as do in real life when i try to kiss a girl
Unless she was ignorant and thought chemistry was cool,..wouldn't that scare her off?
There are other worlds than these

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2009, 03:50:22 am »
If I want to PM with soldat friends I do it with a chat program and there are over 9000 of those out there. IRC, MSN, Yahoo, Forums and thats only the start.
Soldat is a game afaik, not a chat client.

Like I've said somewhere before (multiple times) - not everyone uses the same client. I don't want to have MSN, IRC, XFire and a crapload of other clients installed just because one or two of my friends are using them.
With Portal if you and your friends have Soldat - you all already have a way of contacting each other without any additional apps.

Soldat just happens to become that additional app. And I doubt all your friends play soldat anyways so you are bound to install as many messengers or visit as many forums as necesary to chat with them when needed. And agreeing or forcing anyone to use just one client will NOT work since everyone has their own network of friends and I am SURE that most of them dont even play soldat to begin with and prefer to use certain chat programs instead of ones you might like.

And I have absolutely NEVER EVER seen anyone require to protect their nick name.
Heck, I have NOT ever had to protect MY own nick name. Have YOU ever needed to protect your nickname in a fast paced online shooter where all matter that you or your team wins? I highly doubt it. If some asshole was trolling you once by stealing your ingame nick name, then kick his ass, mute him or join another server.
Assholes will always exist to ruin your party, and they will always find a way to troll you anyway.
True, I never really had to protect my nickname. On the other hand - it is possible that some random noob would find out the name of your clan leader, sign in with exact same name and do.. nasty stuff. Better safe than sorry.

There are a thousand and one methods of trolling even if the nick protection would be present. Trolls live to troll the shit out of you and you cant help it in anyway.
If a man is angry and wants to achieve something, he will do anything no matter what obstacles are in the way. Simply put: Where theres a trolls will, theres a trolls way. You can never prevent this crap that others do, the most you can do is not be an asshole yourself and encourage others to be more respecting towards each other while doing what you want, but now I'm going a bit offtopic here.

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2009, 10:05:27 am »
Ok, so basically, people want to find each other in soldat, and portal helps do that? I don't see why its necessary when people could just use the chat system that was in 1.5. Sure, no one used it, but hey, thats what it was for right? I also agree, why the hell would you want to chat with soldat?

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2009, 10:37:21 am »
What i would like is a gather system on soldat interface...

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2009, 02:22:12 pm »
one question to all you haters: in which way does soldat portal bother you if you don't use it and play soldat as always?

(not allowed:
- "focus on fixing bugs instead of adding new features"
- "increasing filesize of soldatinstaller"
- "useless"
- "I can chat with other tools"
- "there is battleye against hax, why need registration?"
- "who cares about nickname-protection?"
- "killing the retro-shit")
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2009, 03:12:59 pm »
Soldat just happens to become that additional app. And I doubt all your friends play soldat anyways so you are bound to install as many messengers or visit as many forums as necesary to chat with them when needed. And agreeing or forcing anyone to use just one client will NOT work since everyone has their own network of friends and I am SURE that most of them dont even play soldat to begin with and prefer to use certain chat programs instead of ones you might like.
Just chatting and finding people to play Soldat with are different things. Again: if you have Soldat - you dont have to force anyone to use specific clients, because a lot can already be done through portal.

Personally, I barely even use MSN or ICQ. I'm only on there so that others could contact me if for some reason they need to, and I have absolutely no intention of installing more clients. Some people don't even use any clients at all, so there's no guarantee you can find someone you need even if you have 9000 other chatting apps installed.
Portal ensures that every Soldat player can contact each other. Other clients are just general chatting programs (except xfire, but there are reasons why some people don't like it either), they are not much different from each other and are not focused specifically on Soldat players' needs.

-----------
However I have to agree with your point about Nick Protection feature. :S
What about clan tag protection? How does that idea sound?

Illuminatus
Sounds like it should be made into a poll. Except "useless" isn't a good option. If someone wants to state their opinion - they should say something more than just "useless".
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 03:18:55 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2009, 05:29:31 pm »
@: L[0ne]R

finding people to play Soldat with

This idea is a good one, but its a 2-sided thing.
If the portal only allows to contact individual players, then this might only work for finding a 1 on 1 match, but that has its problems in finding an empty and quiet server since if either of the casual players will host it from their machine, it will lead to problems that the server may not be a stable one like those dedicated servers out there and the owner will have an advantage over the opponent due to lag and instability mostly.

However if the portal allows for a group chat like that irc thing in 1.5 where players can all gather in one place and then pick a partner(s) to play with then thats cool.

But do note that screwing around with finding people to play with on a chat area will be obsolete since its much easier to set the server search to find a server with the desired filters and you're already playing against human opponents on a dedicated server. No hassle and very fast and it delivers all it needs to.

It might also be the very reason why no one is using the irc chat in 1.5 which is pretty much what the "finding dudes to play with" deal is about. It actually already exists, but its redundant due to the fact its just easier to pick a random server with best values, put your brains on a shelf and go kick some ass.

As for anyone seeking for something more advanced, the gathers, competitions and leagues are there to supply that with their own systems.

@: Illuminatus

These:
- "focus on fixing bugs instead of adding new features"
- "useless"
- "I can chat with other tools"
- "there is battleye against hax, why need registration?"
- "who cares about nickname-protection?"

That file size thing has got to be joke heheh. : )

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2009, 06:44:22 pm »
You haven't answered Illuminatus's question, numgun. He ruled out those reasons because they don't apply to his question.

I'd like to know what people would answer to your question, too, Illuminatus. I mean, we all know people are crying for bugfixes (although it still perplexes me why they aren't then playing the beta), but Soldat could do with a couple of new features, and Portal seems to deliver so far, especially because it can be built upon.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2009, 03:40:00 am »
I think that Soldat Portal is new big step in soldat gaming and I like it and give to it BIG F12. I was always up to some account system. (Sorry if this post stick out a little but I didn't feel like skimming through whole topic since I wasn't here for at least month.)
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."