Poll

Yes or No

F11
63 (65.6%)
F12
33 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Is Soldat Portal Necessary?  (Read 18241 times)

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
Re: Is Soldat Portal Necessary?
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2009, 07:29:52 am »
I think it was added because you wanted to bring soldat into the next gen style of games such as BF2 and the like. I think it was a mistake to add this. Your taking soldat and making the whole thing overly complicated. We will see when this has been used for a few months, just how many people actually want to keep it. Also if you think that just because you have the source code(alongside others), and your one of the main devs(how many?), so it doesn't matter if people start to hate it, your very wrong. I know you want to do whats best for soldat right? If this is hated, will it be removed?

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2009, 07:58:51 am »
It was a joint decision between multiple people and was planned for many months. As I already stated; the Portal is here to stay regardless. All of Michal's games, present(Soldat) and future(Link-dead etc), will be using a joint Account system, Soldat is just the first to have it implemented. It harms nobody, it is not complicated at all (Ticking automatic login is hard hurr durp durp).

Offline de_Naturat

• Major(1)
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2009, 08:38:04 am »
It was a joint decision between multiple people and was planned for many months. As I already stated; the Portal is here to stay regardless. All of Michal's games, present(Soldat) and future(Link-dead etc), will be using a joint Account system, Soldat is just the first to have it implemented. It harms nobody, it is not complicated at all (Ticking automatic login is hard hurr durp durp).

OK. Does you tell to us the main idea?
Does Michael wants to control everyone who play Soldat? because most players dont need portal.
 :-X attention! they needs all your money! :-X  :o
aka de_Generat [RU]

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2009, 09:15:50 am »
It allows for many features to be incorporated into Soldat. As a scripter and admin of #aus.gather, I can already think of a few ways I can use the Soldat Portal to make playing gathers easier (especially since I have implemented a stats system - I can use the Portal to authenticate users instead of going by their ingame name or their IP address).

Portal may seem a little bare at the moment, but give it time, it'll grow.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2009, 10:07:32 am »
You could just make an account system on the gather servers if you want to keep track of stats that way.

Offline CrayAB

• Soldier
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2009, 12:29:56 pm »
Only thing I dont like is the fact that you can't play online without an account.
You can no longer just download ang play the game - instead you'll have to go through all that registration and verification process. Also, if there are problems with Soldat Portal server - everyone will suffer. Are user IDs really worth it?

Soldat Portal is very promising, it gives possibilities for great new features. If only registration was optional - then I'm sure everyone would be happy.

Offline de_Naturat

• Major(1)
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2009, 03:00:45 pm »
Why stop at the registration by mail?
You can scan fingerprint or iris  ;D

seriously: optional registration solves the problems
aka de_Generat [RU]

Offline Meteorisch

• Soldier
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2009, 03:01:32 pm »
Lolol. Let's all stfu and let the programmers do their work, who cares about a login system, every LIKE EVERY fucking game has it, even website games, so don't cry right now. Don't ask stupid questions neither. Accept it as it is!

@tip of the day
www.idunwantanpage.com
Clicking this increases your IQ oh wait.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2009, 07:39:03 pm »
You could just make an account system on the gather servers if you want to keep track of stats that way.
Yes, but it relies on people keeping their ingame name or IP up-to-date, which becomes quite a hassle. Plus, it's easy to impersonate someone with my current methods, which I dislike.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline spag002

• Major(1)
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2009, 10:19:27 am »
Lolol. Let's all stfu and let the programmers do their work ...

Watta you talking about? programmers?
I dont see them here. I see only stupid and greedy people.

Players are asked to fix the netcode some years. Result? We have f*cking portal!

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2009, 04:02:45 pm »
Lolol. Let's all stfu and let the programmers do their work ...

Players are asked to fix the netcode some years. Result? We have f*cking portal!
Agreed. Why was this put in before the net code was fixed? TBH I cannot see why this happened. While I accept it is here to stay, I wonder, why was it made before Soldat got the overhaul it needs? Can you explain that?

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2009, 04:38:58 pm »
Agreed. Why was this put in before the net code was fixed? TBH I cannot see why this happened. While I accept it is here to stay, I wonder, why was it made before Soldat got the overhaul it needs? Can you explain that?

Because of how Soldat was originally made it's very hard to improve network code without rewriting the rest of the code. At least that's what I heard.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2009, 04:55:30 pm »
What do you mean "fix the netcode"? I don't see how it is broken. We can play online, right? And besides, there's only so much lag you can prevent with 200+ ping. And you people should really stop ragging on eC to fix bugs since he fixed a shitload with the beta. Go read the changelog.

How are they greedy? EnEsCe doesn't get paid for his work and the portal doesn't encourage people to register. And I don't see how people working on actual games without using some premade engine can be "stupid." And I'm sure they qualify as programmers too.

:P
There are other worlds than these

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2009, 06:20:34 pm »
What do you mean "fix the netcode"? I don't see how it is broken. We can play online, right? And besides, there's only so much lag you can prevent with 200+ ping. And you people should really stop ragging on eC to fix bugs since he fixed a s**tload with the beta. Go read the changelog.
I think you're forgetting eats, warps and other annoyances which happen quite often even at 100-150 ping.
Though I aggree, even with current netcode Soldat is more than playable.
As for general bugs - there are still a number of minor annoyances like when you try to shoot over a collider and you shoot bursts instead.  Access violations for some people. Sniper line is still effed up on large resolutions. *cough* polybugs *cough*
There's still a number of things to improve - server filters, vote selection, the fugly main menu which is always fixed at 640x480.

But still, I have to aggree that NSC did a good job. He might not have fixed all of the issues we'd hoped, but he still improved Soldat in many other ways. Maybe the problems I mentioned will also be fixed in one of the future versions.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 06:22:09 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2009, 07:05:24 pm »
Ima quite sure that neither MM(ofc) or the EnEsCe have not played soldat in their whole lifetime, else they would already be completely tired of "eats" "nade/knife invis" "warps" and several other bugs and would have fixed the netcode to make Soldat a decent game to play online. Lag > skills in 50% of engages, EVEN MORE WITH DEAGLES x.x

Just what i think about.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2009, 07:25:15 pm »
Because of how Soldat was originally made it's very hard to improve network code without rewriting the rest of the code. At least that's what I heard.
Indeed. If EnEsCe was to fix the network issues regarding "eating", he would probably have to write the entire game from scratch, which would take a few years, and may end up with the same or similar kind of network issues we have now (of course, that's less likely if you can identify the problems with the current code, which is probably the result of many things in the code working against each other, and can't be fixed by changing a couple of lines).

Anyway, EnEsCe has done a few things this version that improve bullet registration and server performance, so there should be less "eating" next version.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 07:27:33 pm by SpiltCoffee »

Offline spag002

• Major(1)
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2009, 03:16:04 am »
... it's very hard to improve network code without rewriting the rest of the code. ...
oh ... Wait ... I know why people are engaged in nuclear research and launch satellites - it is easier!

and not only the network code. how about polybugs?
But of course there are things more important than.

Offline echo_trail

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • ménage-à-trois
    • my last.fm
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2009, 04:46:14 am »
Seems unfair to expect the level of commitment to soldat to match that of nuclear research, you fucking brat. Now shut up!
I fucking miss all you cunts!

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2009, 05:39:29 am »
Especially when those who are working on the research are getting PAID for it.

Offline STM1993

• Rainbow Warrior
  • It's been a long time.
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2009, 05:58:29 am »
I'd like to ask NSC:

In the unlikely event that the server that holds our accounts fail, we would not be able to play Soldat online. Will there be a backup or something? What measure are you taking in order to prevent this event from happening?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 06:02:11 am by STM1993 »