Poll

Yes or No

F11
63 (65.6%)
F12
33 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Is Soldat Portal Necessary?  (Read 18102 times)

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
Re: Is Soldat Portal Necessary?
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2009, 07:42:34 am »
In the unlikely event that the server that holds our accounts fail, we would not be able to play Soldat online. Will there be a backup or something? What measure are you taking in order to prevent this event from happening?
Yes, I do plan on having a backup server in a completely different country and completely different datacenter. Currently the Portal database is hosted in Germany on my most reliable machine/network. If the network/hardware does somehow fail, I can redirect everyone to my USA server via DNS. The client/server do not use hard-coded IPs.

As for backups of the actual database; daily, weekly, and monthly snapshots are stored in 3 locations. Locally on the RAID HDDs, a remote dedicated backup server, and directly to the NAS File Server sitting right next to me in this room.

Thanks for asking, hehe.

Offline spag002

• Major(1)
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2009, 10:17:26 am »
... you f**king brat. Now shut up!
Hey f*ggot! Did i abuse you?

... getting PAID for it.
Tell me: If NSC is so poor, who pays the rent of his countless account/data/(to insert)... servers? God, Satan, someone else?

if he does it ONLY for money - must go to hell! His sponsor is waiting for him  ;D

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2009, 10:44:21 am »
... you f**king brat. Now shut up!
Hey f*ggot! Did i abuse you?

... getting PAID for it.
Tell me: If NSC is so poor, who pays the rent of his countless account/data/(to insert)... servers? God, Satan, someone else?

if he does it ONLY for money - must go to hell! His sponsor is waiting for him  ;D
I'm sure he doesn't own this enesce host, I totally wonder where he got all these servers from!

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2009, 10:45:26 am »
Erm, they are paid for by the community via rentals.

Offline spag002

• Major(1)
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2009, 11:52:48 am »
Russia's government also does not steal money...

// omfg he s idiot
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 11:57:38 am by spag002 »

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2009, 12:32:22 pm »
Russia's government also does not steal money...

// omfg he s idiot
LOL, are you retarded? how on earth would enesce steal money from MM, government is quite a bit higher than a small games developer...

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2009, 03:27:44 pm »
wow spag you're retarded
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2009, 03:40:31 pm »
spag banned for being a member who posted hacks a few days ago and evaded his ban with more accounts and proxies.
There are other worlds than these

Offline spag003

• Major(1)
« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2009, 08:54:27 am »
LOL, are you retarded? how on earth would enesce steal money from MM, government is quite a bit higher than a small games developer...
Did you hear about metaphor/hyperbola/(other literary techniques)? oligophrenic.

spag banned for being a member who posted hacks a few days ago and evaded his ban with more accounts and proxies.
i'm not upset. (no hacks, only screenshots and links  :P )

2All: yep. Im /b/tarded.
This moders make me cry... naive kids... Muhahahahhaa!! de_Generat

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2009, 10:25:05 am »
Did you hear about metaphor/hyperbola/(other literary techniques)? oligophrenic.

i'm not upset. (no hacks, only screenshots and links  :P )

2All: yep. Im /b/tarded.

Yeah, I figured you were into 4chan. Let me rephrase my post to use language you might better understand.

The rules explicitily say not to reference hacks. They also say you can't create moar accounts to evade your bans. And posting teaser hacking screenshots is more than enough to permanently ban you forever.

Run along and f**k off now. /b&
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 11:03:38 am by jrgp »

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2009, 03:27:08 pm »
disposable email addresses
Apparently EnEsCe has taken care of that problem.
How so?
Blacklist. :D
Ehh.. I cant see how this takes care of the problem.
So if email gets blacklisted - it's no different from blocking an ID. Hackers will just make a new email account.
Insert facepalm image here. @domain.tld is blacklisted, not individual addresses.

Uh, can someone clarify this? Does this mean if some hacker was using a gmail account, the whole @gmail.com would be banned? I'm not so good with this internet knowledge, so some explaining to the more simple people would be great.

You guys seem to be under the impression that the Portal was added specifically to stop hackers. You are sadly mistaken.

Then what exactly does it do? I'm beginning to be more ok with the portal since all the delay was concentrated at the first start of soldat after installing and it runs all smooth after that just like before, but the uses of the portal are a bit confusing and ambiguous me here...

Just dont tell me its some global stats e-penor bullshit. <.<

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #91 on: November 25, 2009, 03:31:50 pm »
numgun, if a hacker was using a specific email service, it'd be manually banned by enesce after review to ensure it isn't something extremely popular like yahoo/gmail/hotmail/etc. But if it's something shady and weird, then he'd probably ban it.

The portal was added mostly by request of MM, since all of his future games will have one just like it.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #92 on: November 25, 2009, 03:55:34 pm »
numgun, if a hacker was using a specific email service, it'd be manually banned by enesce after review to ensure it isn't something extremely popular like yahoo/gmail/hotmail/etc. But if it's something shady and weird, then he'd probably ban it.

The portal was added mostly by request of MM, since all of his future games will have one just like it.
what's the point in banning an email address when you can just use hotmail or gmail instead, don't make me laugh...

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2009, 04:15:14 pm »

what's the point in banning an email address when you can just use hotmail or gmail instead, don't make me laugh...

It weens out the thick hackers who are too dumb to use them, or are banned on them and don't feel like or aren't knowledgeable enough to use proxies.

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2009, 05:09:07 pm »

The question still remains unanswered is what function is the portal supposed to provide? The purpose, what is it?

Surely you dont just put an account system for lulz.
What I see with it is extra control over players within soldat, e-penor top soldat player stats, chatting/detecting friends online in soldat...

...heck, thats all I can think of right now and all of those sound horribly useless or dumb. I'm aware that soldat's source code must be pretty wacky to work with, but could it be considered to fix the everlasting bugs that appear ingame for many versions and years, not to mention trying to optimize the game and trying to make it more stable?

I just hate the fact that I need to tweak atleast 10 minutes with the soldat config and some .ini files just to make it run after each installation because if I dont, soldat will be unplayable thanks to those Access Violation errors that keep getting spammed endlessly, ruining the whole thing until I manage to fix them somehow.

Does anyone else in here have the need to fix things after a clean install before playing soldat is even possible for you? Atleast I do and it sucks.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2009, 06:22:46 pm »
Nope, Soldat works fine for me and always did. I aggree that essential bugfixing and optimisation is more important than new features, but I still think portal is a nice addition.
I find private messaging useful because it is an easy way to contact any player in Soldat. Friends system is also made quite well. Also.. nickname protection? So Portal is in no way dumb or useless.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 06:25:17 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Splinter-Snake

• Soldier
  • One must die, and one must live.
« Reply #96 on: November 25, 2009, 08:33:19 pm »
Lol another big thing added to help hide the bugs. I see where this is going.

Go ahead and delete this post because I'm simply speaking the truth. Disregard it as "trolling" or what not if you want. It won't change the truth.  [pigtail]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 08:34:50 pm by Splinter-Snake »

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2009, 09:15:08 pm »
If you want bugfixes, report the bugs! Bloody hell...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 09:18:09 pm by SpiltCoffee »
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2009, 02:22:12 am »
Nope, Soldat works fine for me and always did. I aggree that essential bugfixing and optimisation is more important than new features, but I still think portal is a nice addition.
I find private messaging useful because it is an easy way to contact any player in Soldat. Friends system is also made quite well. Also.. nickname protection? So Portal is in no way dumb or useless.

If I want to PM with soldat friends I do it with a chat program and there are over 9000 of those out there. IRC, MSN, Yahoo, Forums and thats only the start.
Soldat is a game afaik, not a chat client.

And I have absolutely NEVER EVER seen anyone require to protect their nick name.
Heck, I have NOT ever had to protect MY own nick name. Have YOU ever needed to protect your nickname in a fast paced online shooter where all matter that you or your team wins? I highly doubt it. If some asshole was trolling you once by stealing your ingame nick name, then kick his ass, mute him or join another server.
Assholes will always exist to ruin your party, and they will always find a way to troll you anyway.

@SpiltCoffee: They have been pointed out a million times and everyone is aware of them and they are commonly present ingame constantly. Its just a matter having the balls to do some serious work in fixing the game instead of dicking around with new almost useless features.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2009, 07:31:46 am »
They have been pointed out a million times and everyone is aware of them and they are commonly present ingame constantly.
If that's the case, then they should be on the bug tracker. It's too hard to track the bugs and fix them, otherwise.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!