Poll

Yes or No

F11
63 (65.6%)
F12
33 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Is Soldat Portal Necessary?  (Read 18097 times)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Re: Is Soldat Portal Necessary?
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 08:23:31 pm »
Only thing I dont like is the fact that you can't play online without an account.
You can no longer just download ang play the game - instead you'll have to go through all that registration and verification process. Also, if there are problems with Soldat Portal server - everyone will suffer. Are user IDs really worth it?

Soldat Portal is very promising, it gives possibilities for great new features. If only registration was optional - then I'm sure everyone would be happy.

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 09:52:02 pm »
you'll have to go through all that registration and verification process.
How long did it take for you? 1 or 2 minutes?

Also, if there are problems with Soldat Portal server - everyone will suffer.
Almost the same with Soldat lobby.

Are user IDs really worth it?
Ya, I think so.

If only registration was optional
This would ruin the whole concept...
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2009, 10:11:48 pm »
Also, if there are problems with Soldat Portal server - everyone will suffer.
Damn, that's a nice point right there, although I think it only affects public servers. Currently, if you've favourited them or are joining them directly via a link, you can still join without the lobby. The same will not be true with the Portal, although I'm sure EnEsCe has taken a few steps to make sure that if the server does go down, interruption is at a minimum.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2009, 10:19:51 pm »
you'll have to go through all that registration and verification process.
How long did it take for you? 1 or 2 minutes?
About 10 because the activation email wouldn't arrive.
I know it doesnt seem like that big of a deal to you, but trust me, sometimes simple thing like registration requires more effort than it seems. Maybe you just haven't experienced that.

But at least in case of soldat lobby you can still use your favorite servers list, manually enter the IP, or use a browser-based lobby. Even if lobby is down you can still play online.

This would ruin the whole concept...
How would it ruin it? And what exactly is that concept?
The only thing that would be ruined is the ID-based ban system, because cheaters will not use online accounts and therefore won't have IDs. However BattlEye is doing a good enough job, there's not that much need for even more measures against cheaters.

Friends list, stats, nick protection, user info - all that would still work for those who choose to create an account. Those who don't want to bother with account system for whatever reasons (maybe they just want to try out the game quickly, or they feel it overcomplicates Soldat, or just dont need those features, or have technical problems with that) - they could still use simple Soldat profiles.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 10:22:38 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2009, 10:22:38 pm »
ID-based bans will be easy to get around anyway. It's trivial to make a new account.
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2009, 10:24:24 pm »
ID-based bans will be easy to get around anyway. It's trivial to make a new account.
Well, you can only register one account per e-mail. So you'd not only have to create a new account, but a new email too, which isn't a fun process.
So I'd say it IS an effective measure, it's just Soldat's doing good enough without it.

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2009, 10:26:43 pm »
Well, you can only register one account per e-mail. So you'd not only have to create a new account, but a new email too, which isn't a fun process.
So I'd say it IS an effective measure, it's just Soldat's doing good enough without it.
...it's also trivial to make a new e-mail account.

PS: I'm agreeing with you, so  :|

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2009, 10:33:32 pm »
...it's also trivial to make a new e-mail account.

PS: I'm agreeing with you, so  :|
On the second thought, creating an email account doesn't require any activations, so yeah.. It won't stop ID-banned users from rejoining.
Worse - admins might stop using IP-bans and use ID-bans instead, which will reduce ban effectiveness in general since ID bans are easier and faster to go around.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 10:37:12 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 10:39:25 pm »
I would say admins would ban IP and ID.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2009, 10:48:01 pm »
ID bans are easier and faster to go around.
I don't know where you live but I can change my IP in ~7 seconds. If I ever get banned I just went [ALT]+[TAB] (playing in fullscreen), changing IP, back to Soldat and -woops- I'm again in that server...I don't think I'm gonna create a new account just to rejoin that server again...

Banning in Soldat never was effective, until now. That's what MM called "professional" I think - a great benefit for clanwars, leagues and gather.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 10:49:59 pm by Illuminatus »

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2009, 11:04:02 pm »
it's stupid and not needed for a game like soldat.
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2009, 11:17:01 pm »
ID bans are easier and faster to go around.
I don't know where you live but I can change my IP in ~7 seconds. If I ever get banned I just went [ALT]+[TAB] (playing in fullscreen), changing IP, back to Soldat and -woops- I'm again in that server...I don't think I'm gonna create a new account just to rejoin that server again...

Banning in Soldat never was effective, until now. That's what MM called "professional" I think - a great benefit for clanwars, leagues and gather.
If you had to pay to get an ID, then yes, the ban would be effective.

As is, you now have to spend 5 minutes instead of 7 seconds - hardly an effective deterrent.

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2009, 11:38:46 pm »
there never were many haxors...this will bring them to a minimum everybody can live with...

Offline Mitak

• Camper
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2009, 12:21:16 am »
With modernization comes fast death. Keep it simple.

Offline GreenMachine

• Major(1)
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2009, 12:27:48 am »
why screw around with something that was perfect from day 1 ?

It just seems like the powers that be are just complicating the game for the sake of complicating.

Money is a good motivator in some things, but not everything.

Offline RafiPZ

• Soldier
  • You can't spell awesome without ME!
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2009, 01:01:42 am »
I don't see what the problem is. I don't know about you guys, but when I first played the game I didn't just immediately jump onto online play. I actually played offline for a while and found that I really liked it. If I had to register back then, I most certainly would have because the game is so much fun. To answer the question though, no, I don't think it's absolutely NECESSARY but I can see a bunch of cool things popping up from this.

Offline Cyrix

• Soldier
  • I'm trigger happy, trigger happy!
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2009, 01:21:38 am »
I think as long as you DONT HAVE TO register everything will be fine. Just give a great deal of incentive so that people will. But like many people have said, its inportant in gaining new players, and i know there are a lot of players who end up registering because they were able to try the game in its entirety (gosh i dont know how to spell that word) before they decided to register or not.
""A man should look for "what is" instead of what he thinks should be"" -Albert Einstein-

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2009, 01:33:37 am »
I think, as long as the process for creating a new account is clear and concise, then there really isn't a problem with discouraging new players.
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline Mitak

• Camper
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2009, 01:40:48 am »
When those with the power say YES and those without the power say NO, it's never for good and too late to go back ;)

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2009, 03:58:28 am »
I think I seem to understand whats the point of portal; hackers. However, as many already said, creating a new account would be a piece of cake and continue playing within seconds and the fact that it also cancels the REGISTRATION KEY THAT YOU PAYED FOR is just ridiculous.

Not to mention this kind of a system can be easily abused by admins to make someone's soldat life a hell because they might hate them personally or simply are just bored. (get the hint?).

I dont know if it was MM that ordered this or NSC's idea, but ultimately its no good. Hackers will always persist and this portal wont stop them.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 04:00:00 am by numgun »