Poll

Yes or No

F11
63 (65.6%)
F12
33 (34.4%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Is Soldat Portal Necessary?  (Read 18098 times)

Offline Mercury92

• Camper
Re: Is Soldat Portal Necessary?
« Reply #120 on: November 28, 2009, 06:03:37 am »
Because Battleye is WEAK!
[saw]  on 1.5.1

Offline Fubister

• Major
« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2009, 06:08:27 am »
I like this Portal thingy, you can always have a look on there to see any news that are going on related to soldat, instead of surfing threw soldat pages or so.

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2009, 07:13:40 am »
You haven't answered Illuminatus's question, numgun. He ruled out those reasons because they don't apply to his question.

Oh, whoops.

Besides all those reason mentioned above, a couple more things:
-Giving out personal information and your email address.
-Having to hassle with email activation after an installation.
-Not to mention if you're on a computer that you use with another person, you will also have to LOG IN everytime you want to play.
-It wont remove hacking nor trolling even its pretending to.
-Admins may abuse the banning powers
-And they can actually invalidate/ban the reg key you bought with your hard earned money. I know its written in the licence agreement, but banning a reg key? Fuck off.
Not to mention a troll can exploit this system and cause an admin to ban you when you even were not hacking.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2009, 08:51:16 am »
-It wont remove hacking nor trolling even its pretending to.
It's not pretending to. As EnEsCe said earlier, if you thought this was, in any way, an attempt to stop hackers, you are mistaken.

-Admins may abuse the banning powers
Er... I don't see how the introduction of the Portal will make server admins start banning everyone because they looked at them funny...

-And they can actually invalidate/ban the reg key you bought with your hard earned money. I know its written in the licence agreement, but banning a reg key? f**k off.
EnEsCe has been doing that for ages. He doesn't need the Portal to do that.

-Not to mention a troll can exploit this system and cause an admin to ban you when you even were not hacking.
How? If the troll gets banned, you won't, because your TagID will be different.

The first two points, however, are valid, and it is a bit strange that you have to give your birthday and what gender you are... Any reasons, EnEsCe?
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2009, 08:52:21 am »
this is just another thread people post in to post... lock? :D

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2009, 09:42:15 am »
The first two points, however, are valid, and it is a bit strange that you have to give your birthday and what gender you are... Any reasons, EnEsCe?
They are for Statistics, besides the fact that its general profile information you'd provide to any other registration form. The same reason every forum you register to asks for your Birthday and Gender. Be thankful it doesn't ask for your real name, address, time zone, annual income, hobbies, and your sisters phone number.

Offline NordOst

• Major(1)
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2009, 12:11:12 pm »
Way I see it, if you're not comfortable giving out your date of birth, don't do it. Enter a date that isn't when you were born. Problem solved.

I don't have strong feelings towards the portal one way or another. It takes an extra 1-2 minutes *once*, after that, it's back the the instant gratification we all know and love. If you can't spare 120 seconds of your life, you probably shouldn't be playing games, or you're honestly just lazy.
And if it's information you're worried about? you're paranoid. I think the main reason why people are against it, is because it's *different* from what they're used to, and people generally react poorly to a change in the status quo. It's new and scary! Once it's been in place for a little while people get used to it, all the needless posturing subsides and then it's back to questioning the sexual preferences of your opponents as usual.

Though, if there were some way to tie you portal account to your forum account, that would be pretty cool. Might encourage folks like me who aren't very clannish to participate in the community more actively. Hell, I've been playing on-and-off since 1.2, and I'm *just now* getting around to being social here. I guess I never really felt the need to since I'm a deathmatch junkie. [retard]

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #127 on: November 28, 2009, 12:12:02 pm »
Be thankful it doesn't ask for your real name, address, time zone, annual income, hobbies, and your sisters phone number.

This kind of talk makes me want to shove a large rusty iron rod deep up your ass after beating you up with it to death.
Followed by messy decapitation and burning.

Statistics or not, they cant be reliable in this case since the user may type anything he wants to and no one will be able to check in the end and its still redundant to collect this information anyways since soldat is just a freeware shooter that people love to play and not bother about anything else. Not to mention that once you have those statistics, they will either decorate your documents folders or you can put them up as public e-penor info to flash it around like a womens magazine serving absolutely no purpose what so ever.

-Not to mention a troll can exploit this system and cause an admin to ban you when you even were not hacking.

As an example, imagine this:
During a game someone gets pissed of at someone else and he has an admins respect or they just know each other by whatever means or hell, the hater doesn't even need to be related with the admin, but if he does he has a better chance at pulling it off. Anyways.

The hater gets pissed off and wants his opponent fucked so he whines to the admin how much he sucks and needs to get banned and he can claim a couple of reason he can come up with even if they down apply to the opponent. If the hater knows the admin a bit more closer than his opponent, he can use that by using his "buddy talk" or wily charms to make the admin do the dirty work. If the hater succeeds and the opponent fails to defend himself, HE GETS BANNED FOR NOTHING.

And afterwards trying to convince that he was innocent can prove difficult.
Similar situations have happened to me and this is no joke.
If the troll is smart enough, he can fuck you up really good by using this exploit or anything that resembles this.

Offline NordOst

• Major(1)
« Reply #128 on: November 28, 2009, 12:16:18 pm »
Be thankful it doesn't ask for your real name, address, time zone, annual income, hobbies, and your sisters phone number.

This kind of talk makes me want to shove a large rusty iron rod deep up your ass after beating you up with it to death.
Followed by messy decapitation and burning.

Statistics or not, they cant be reliable in this case since the user may type anything he wants to and no one will be able to check in the end and its still redundant to collect this information anyways since soldat is just a freeware shooter that people love to play and not bother about anything else. Not to mention that once you have those statistics, they will either decorate your documents folders or you can put them up as public e-penor info to flash it around like a womens magazine serving absolutely no purpose what so ever.

As an example, imagine this:
During a game someone gets pissed of at someone else and he has an admins respect or they just know each other by whatever means or hell, the hater doesn't even need to be related with the admin, but if he does he has a better chance at pulling it off. Anyways.

The hater gets pissed off and wants his opponent f**ked so he whines to the admin how much he sucks and needs to get banned and he can claim a couple of reason he can come up with even if they down apply to the opponent. If the hater knows the admin a bit more closer than his opponent, he can use that by using his "buddy talk" or wily charms to make the admin do the dirty work. If the hater succeeds and the opponent fails to defend himself, HE GETS BANNED FOR NOTHING.

If the troll is smart enough, he can f**k you up really good by using this exploit or anything that resembles this.

Does that happen on the forums here? I dunno. I've never seen that sort of thing happen in any other game, or at the very least I'm not a loud and surly enough figure to even be noticed for this to happen to me.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #129 on: November 28, 2009, 03:17:59 pm »
The hater gets pissed off and wants his opponent f**ked so he whines to the admin how much he sucks and needs to get banned and he can claim a couple of reason he can come up with even if they down apply to the opponent. If the hater knows the admin a bit more closer than his opponent, he can use that by using his "buddy talk" or wily charms to make the admin do the dirty work. If the hater succeeds and the opponent fails to defend himself, HE GETS BANNED FOR NOTHING.

If the troll is smart enough, he can f**k you up really good by using this exploit or anything that resembles this.
If not TagID - that "hater" could ask admin to ban your nickname and IP. So TagID or not - doesn't make much of a difference. Like you said yourself - Assholes will always exist to ruin your party, and they will always find a way to troll you anyway.

Good point.
However.. I know how to put them to use. How about having some kind of birthday bonuses, like rainbow jets or a birthday hat? ;D
Though I'm probably the only one who fails at life so much as to celebrate b-day by playing Soldat.

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2009, 04:02:48 pm »
Though I'm probably the only one who fails at life so much as to celebrate b-day by playing Soldat.

Oh cmon, that is not failing in life at all. Instead you're doing it right. Enjoying yourself.

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #131 on: November 28, 2009, 04:40:34 pm »
They are for Statistics

if you're not comfortable giving out your date of birth, don't do it. Enter a date that isn't when you were born. Problem solved.

That's what happens if you force people to give information they don't want to publish. You will falsify the statistics. (I faked my birthday in Soldat too.)
By making it optional:
- players who wants to provide their personal infos will fill in valid data
- the others leave it out
--> you'll get valid statistics.

And btw: You don't need to fill in your birthday and gender on public forums/boards.
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #132 on: November 28, 2009, 05:08:34 pm »
And btw: You don't need to fill in your birthday and gender on public forums/boards.
Actually, you do on some forums. Sometimes it's optional, sometimes not. But I agree that in Soldat's case it should be optional.

Offline PopeJohnPaul_II

• Major(1)
  • λ § Ψ
« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2009, 01:22:54 am »
I'd rather take a more philosophical view on the importance, severity, and consequences of said Soldat Portal.

On the pros:
 - It might give players means to interact in ways never before experienced, except, perhaps, in the notty dreams of real life Soldaten!
 - It glorifies EnEsCe to some, after all, he is our savior!

As for the inevitable cons:
 - It hoards the cries of the noobs all into one "channel" if you will. These cries are directed at enensce, and in term, but to a much lesser extent, to the big man himself, MM, who of course does not deserve any of it, since he has created such an awesome, jaw-raising, game as this, but I digress ---
 - If all of eC's magical redundant servers go down (god can be one ugly mother fucker at times, he's always YELLING at me), ALL of Soldat's online play will be left in utter darkness:'(
 - It, as had been said, does not control hackers.

I believe, that removing SoldatPortal now would be a waste of EnEsCe's time put towards developing it, but from a practicality standpoint, it should, never, ever have been created, as that just puts more shame on enesce's image, which is already bad enough due to his ex-hax days (which I shouldn't mention, but I digress)

10/10/+9

Defiance is our only hope. Suicide != cowardice.

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2009, 04:19:49 am »
Yesterday, I was testing 1.5.1 and I found it quite annoying that you can only PM you friends via portal. So soldat chat is dead once and for all?
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline JayX4

• Major(1)
  • Cowgirl in the sand
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2009, 06:29:25 am »
I think it's a great adaption to an already great game :). Now if the 1.5.1a Servers were a mere more populated.

Offline Ouchek

• Soldier
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2009, 08:01:25 am »
So...this basically means you have control over people playing, you can decide whether they can play or not.
This is the worst change in the history, I mean if at least the community trusted you, but we all know that if you go emo you'll start banning people for no reason like you DID a couple of monthes ago or so...
As a part of the active gaming community I really do hope people will boycott that crap and get back to the good versions made by mm.

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #137 on: December 04, 2009, 09:34:46 am »
[BOYCOTT]
So...this basically means you have control over people playing, you can decide whether they can play or not.
This is the worst change in the history, I mean if at least the community trusted you, but we all know that if you go emo you'll start banning people for no reason like you DID a couple of monthes ago or so...
As a part of the active gaming community I really do hope people will boycott that crap and get back to the good versions made by mm.
[/BOYCOTT]
Everything which needed boycotting is now boycotted.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."