Author Topic: The Age-old Thread: Hobbies  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
The Age-old Thread: Hobbies
« on: November 18, 2009, 07:03:19 pm »
I'm sure every "General Stuff" board on every Forums has a "What are your hobbies? [retard]" thread. Well here's Mr. friendly Blacksheepboy to make another one!!

It struck me today that singing, and not just weak small-voiced singing, but broad chested full-toned singing rocks a lot. Especially when you're singing something like "The 12 Manly Days of Christmas" and no-homo. It doesn't get much better than that (when you know the words to that song, you just might agree).

And then there's the silly clarinet playing that I do, as well as some other uninteresting time-consuming hobbies (like photography, and who talks about photography).

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
Re: The Age-old Thread: Hobbies
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 07:24:30 pm »
Listening to, discovering, analyzing, and playing music. It's definitely one of the most important things in my life. For the curious, I play drums, mostly trap set, but I can play timpani, conga, temple blocks, cowbell, castanets, basically anything.

I also like drawing and painting, I'm not particularly good, but I like drawing sketches or short comics, or sea creatures in pen, pencil, or water color. I keep telling myself to take a shot at graffiti, because I live in an area with a lot of abandoned buildings and property that's scheduled for demolition, and lots of good places, so hopefully I'll get a shot at that. I also like making pixel art from time to time.

Hmm, I have other hobbies, but they might not be totally appropriate for the forums. I'll post something else if i think of it.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 07:39:12 pm »
(1)I also like drawing and painting, I'm not particularly good, (2)but I like drawing sketches or short comics, or sea creatures

(1) Same here. Even writing sometimes feels like art to me. The curves, edges and squiggles of letters... So I'd rather write a poem or story on paper rather than electronically, although it depends on the length and efficiency I want at the time.

(2) Hah, we all know this to be undoubtedly true.

Offline Graham

• Veteran
  • Southern
    • - uh oh -
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 08:17:50 pm »
I'm in the market for a worthwhile one.
@ii

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 08:46:46 pm »
My hobbies are drawing and writing and making stuff out of legos.

Although a: I haven't drawn a lot of stuff outside of art class and b: haven't written any short stories in a while and c: the boxes full of legos are in my closet and I no longer have a decent place to spread my work place out.

So lately I've been playing Super Smash Bros Melee like crazy, trying to be proficient in as many characters as possible. Not sure if that really qualifies as a hobby, but that's something I do in my free time.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 08:54:44 pm »
Not sure if that really qualifies as a hobby, but that's something I do in my free time.

Good enough for me. I used to do that with a couple friends of mine.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:02:09 pm »
Computer stuff. That's it.
There are other worlds than these

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 09:08:16 pm »
I write too, forgot about that one.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 10:43:02 pm »
Waste of time, because I fail at life:
- watching anime, listening to music, reading books, playing games (PC, Wii, emulators), aimlessly running around the internet looking for something somewhat interesting.

Actual useful hobbies <--- I only wish this list was longer :(
- drawing and design in photoshop

Offline VijchtiDoodah

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • Stan Yeti Rave?
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 11:57:44 pm »
And then there's the silly clarinet playing that I do, as well as some other uninteresting time-consuming hobbies (like photography, and who talks about photography).

Playing the clarinet is not silly. Photography is interesting.

I enjoy reading, mostly science fiction and political or scientific news. And surfing. I play guitar, but not well. I maintain and ride dirt bikes just well enough not to permanently damage myself. I backpack cross country, but I haven't done that in months. And I begin writing thoughts and stories, but I never finish.

"“The ink of the scholar is more sacred than the blood of the martyr”"

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 01:34:10 am »
Ive played guitar pretty much since i could pick one up. My parents got me into music at a young age. All the music i like/play/listen to has a sublime/pepper/reggae feel to it. I play with a local band that just does gigs around our cities at random bars and venues. I have no expectations to "make it big" or anything, but playing for 150+ in a crowded bar is like nothing I've experienced outside of music. fun stuff indeed.

I enjoy drawing a lot....one of these days ill put some of my stuff up. Give me a sharpie and some paper and I'm a damn fine artist.

uhhhh me and my friends play an obscene amount of Super Smash Bros. especially once I'm a couple colt 45s deep.  I play a mean pikachu.

i don't really have any REAL hobbies though....i dunno
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 01:51:20 am by T-Bone »
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 01:55:46 am »
Playing the clarinet is not silly. Photography is interesting.

I enjoy reading, mostly science fiction and (1) political or scientific news. And surfing. (2) I play guitar, but not well. I maintain and ride dirt bikes just well enough not to permanently damage myself. I backpack cross country, but I haven't done that in months. (3) And I begin writing thoughts and stories, but I never finish.

Oh I know clarinet isn't silly :P. I am actually a rather good clarinet player.
With photography, not many people know enough to bounce ideas off of (like aperture settings and depth of focus/latest wide angle experiments etc.), so I don't pursue it socially. I am afraid I will overwhelm people with my photography nerdiness (albeit photography will always be awesome!)

(1) Woohoo! Political stuff is important, and science is never uninteresting... well it has its moments.

(2) Talk about it. I mean, I've been playing off n on for a year and a half and I've just gotten far enough to play chord progressions and some nifty riffs, but nothing too complicated.

(3) I used to do this very frequently. I still have a lot I could write down and I really should, but I just don't take the time. Keeping a journal has been said to be very helpful to many people, so I suppose I should give it a shot.

I enjoy drawing a lot....one of these days ill put some of my stuff up. Give me a sharpie and some paper and I'm a damn fine artist.

I admire artists, as I've never been able to draw too well myself. I would really have to work on it, but like a lot of things, I haven't taken the time.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 02:00:12 am by Blacksheepboy »

Offline Hair|Trigger

• Veteran
  • HT|
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 02:00:55 am »
Not much, apart from the usual listening to music and facebooking I ride dirt bikes.  Actually having a hobby that cool has helped me look forward to sundays more, it also might land me a job if I feel like doing mechanic stuff after year 12.

I used to play around a bit with photoshop (which started out as a few graphic mods for soldat last year) but that kind of faded away, I start projects but find it hard to finish them.

I also love photography, if I got my hands on a nice DSLR camera i'd be into it all day long.  Sadly i'm cursed with a crappy Kodak 8MP camera.  I still like to muck around a bit though, sometimes I take my own pictures of bike stunts and stuff :).

Edit: I also want to learn guitar

Player since late 2007

Offline Blacksheepboy

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 02:07:11 am »
Hah who doesn't want to learn guitar

Yea, I'm looking into a nice DSLR myself... my film cameras are really giving me problems. One camera had a film-advance issue and exposed all 24 shots onto the first frame. And then the other camera has a tiny light leak in it and partially exposed the bottom of some shots, grr. Also the place that developed the film did a poor job scanning, or the film was scratched >:(

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 02:07:26 am »

(2) Talk about it. I mean, I've been playing off n on for a year and a half and I've just gotten far enough to play chord progressions and some nifty riffs, but nothing too complicated.

Thats Great! simple chord progressions and riffs are nice building blocks. Just get your chords down and work on scales so you can play them in your sleep. Once you get comfortable maybe take a look at modes and such.

Someone summed up the learning process for me wonderfully when i was just starting to play (about 11 or 12). "Guitar is tough to learn and easy to master."

Once you have a good hold on it, just sit down and jam. You'll be amazed how the music just flows based on your moods/feelings. I just sit down and let my fingers tell a story.

Really the point to this rambling is that sure, there is always some little technique you could still learn/work on/improve, but there really comes a point where you just have to find your own voice in your music. No one can show you how, it just happens over time.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 02:23:45 am by T-Bone »
Your acting like your having a duel and your opponent gets a pistol and you get a spork.
Isn't that pretty much what it is? I dunno wtf a spork is, I suppose it's way weaker than the pistol since you compared that to this.

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 02:51:50 am »

Thats Great! simple chord progressions and riffs are nice building blocks. Just get your chords down and work on scales so you can play them in your sleep. Once you get comfortable maybe take a look at modes and such.

Ehh, some of the most successful musicians in life couldn't read/analyze music to save their lives, but could play flawlessly. As a starter, technique and consistency is much more important skill to address. That is why most people who play instruments quit within their first month. They think they have to learn all this stuff but it overwhelms them and quit.

BSB, no matter what style you're going for, work on balancing and keeping your left and right hand in sync. When you are able to play more consistency, then I'd say go ahead and learn some theory if you're up for it.
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline T-Bone

• Flagrunner
  • Harmonicas Suck
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 03:33:07 am »
since he said he'd been playing for a year and half i was going on the assumption he had a grasp on proper technique and consistency.

I totally agree you don't need to read/analyze music to be great. I would struggle through sheet music on a guitar. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have a fundamental understanding of chord/scale/mode structures. Yngwie malmsteen is an example of a guitarist who couldn't analyze a piece of he was payed. But listen to his music(not that I'm a fan), its all based off arpeggios and fundamental scales.

Offline {LAW} Gamer_2k4

• Flagrunner
  • To Wikipedia!
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 04:04:09 am »
I write in my free time; I'll have some new stuff to share with you guys pretty soon, actually (though I'm well aware that approximately zero people read my stuff).  I also enjoy biking, reading, and drawing (in no particular order).
Gamer_2k4

Only anime shows I've felt any interest in over the years are Pokemon (original TV series) and various hentai.
so clearly jgrp is a goddamn anime connoisseur. his opinion might as well be law here.

Best Admin: jrgp, he's like the forum mom and a pet dog rolled into one.

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 06:12:56 am »
-drawing
-music/noise producing
-Quake Live
-trolling jews, rappers and muslims in youtube
-anime
------------------------------------------
-unnecessary traveling with bunch of drunk friends
-build something with wood for fun - docks, playhouses, suicidecars etc. Then tear them apart when they get on the way
-also little things with metal - knifes, dildos, rings - These I either sell or just throw somewhere
-beach ball, swimming.. both at winter
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 06:45:28 am by smiluu »

Offline numgun

• Veteran
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2009, 06:17:55 am »

Photography is interesting.

No shit, I visited a university of arts not long ago and specifically the photography division and I saw what amazing world it was. There were these special studios with various light manipulation equipment, processing room or whatever those are called where the negatives are turned into images by projecting them on a surface in a dark room and handled with various hazardous chemicals for refining the photos. There were these massive machines and other contraptions that were dedicated to photography that made my jaw drop when all I thought that it was just grapping that random camera and shooting a photo of something that just might look cool. I learned alot about camera's, working with light, objectives and many other related things. Photography is interesting absolutely.

Not my hobby though, I do modding on my free time or play games. Another hobby of mine is randomly cruising on my bicycle far away in an adventure sort of way. I just go where my eyes are looking at and often to the point that I'm completely lost and have no idea where I am.
Its fun since I see new places and discover cool things along the way and its sporty. Plus I love the feel of speed. And stopping somewhere in a pretty landscape view area to have a break and eat a sandwitch is priceless. I plan on doing that with more powerful vehicles in the future like a motor cycle or a car.

Also, movies.