Author Topic: inf_Warlock  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
inf_Warlock
« on: January 03, 2010, 04:59:50 am »
New map in beta 1.5.1

Updated version
- Changed description to inf_Warlock
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 02:24:33 pm by Suowarrior »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Re: inf_Warlock
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 07:10:22 pm »
White flag on left side that falls through the floor isn't a good idea:
1. Looks like a bug
2. Hard for red team since blues are very close and have better positions
3. Right/top parts of the map aren't as useful.

Crimson Goth got a very nice idea of moving the white flag to the right side. We've tried that modified version of the map and it was much more fun and top route became a key part of gameplay.

Original version was about simply rushing the enemy and trying to defend the flagger until the white flag respawns. You could use the top and right side to attack blues from different sides, but top spot doesn't give a good view on enemy positions and right side is rather vulnerable and takes too long to get to.

Modified version involves a lot of teamwork, passing the flag through walls, fighting for top route, and other interesting tactics. Overall modified version has proven to be more fun than the original.

I've attached a modified version and a preview.
Modified version features:
- new flag placement,
- repositioned bonus spawns,
- slightly repositioned blue spawns,
- extra only-player-collides wall in the ceiling,
- extra only-player-collides wall on the right side, to make flag pass more challenging
- a few fixed polybugs
- replaced PNG fades with BMPs.
- fixed map description from ctf_Warlock to inf_Warlock

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 07:14:02 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Crimson Goth

• Camper
  • A*|INF|Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 04:28:07 am »
Yea i moved the flag spawn and it gets pretty intense at time. Lone pretty much summed up most of its flaws.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 05:03:39 am »
The map has heavily tested balance, which one part is that alpha/white flag placement, it gives a good balance. Crimsom Goth idea looks sort of interesting, but it turns map idea upside down. I don't like it, cos the original idea has proven to be fun too.

That deadly polygon inside big vertical opc next to flag sucks, now you can't shoot through it which ruins the attacking tactic about having back man there.

I don't like much about dropping flag, but as I said it's giving a good balance. However I got idea how to have it stable flag place and still defender having chance to return it. Idea
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 06:23:31 am by Suowarrior »

Offline Crimson Goth

• Camper
  • A*|INF|Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 02:16:06 pm »
^^That would make the upper route useless, right?

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 04:18:44 pm »
That deadly polygon inside big vertical opc next to flag sucks, now you can't shoot through it which ruins the attacking tactic about having back man there.

I don't like much about dropping flag, but as I said it's giving a good balance. However I got idea how to have it stable flag place and still defender having chance to return it. Idea
Damn, I forgot all about the fact that deadly polys collide with bullets. :( I didn't mean that, so feel free to delete that poly.

Your idea about new flag spot does seem more interesting (I especially like how you can kill the flagger right before he caps by shooting through the bottom platform), but as Crimson Goth said - upper route is still not useful enough. :/

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 05:46:57 pm »
Your idea about new flag spot does seem more interesting (I especially like how you can kill the flagger right before he caps by shooting through the bottom platform), but as Crimson Goth said - upper route is still not useful enough. :/

Well top route is like secondary plan, but it's requiring teamplay. With right timing, it's the easiest way to get flag out.

When you steal the flag, you die usually in seconds, you can only toss the flag to behind. Then you or your teammate go and get it there and take a journey back to base and cap it. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

edit: sounds like tactic that never works, but at least in our gather plays about every second-third cap came this way
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 01:36:29 am by Suowarrior »

Offline Crimson Goth

• Camper
  • A*|INF|Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 11:23:27 pm »
I actually like that tactic. Teamwork ftw.