Poll

What new CTF maps would you like to be added?

ctf_Chernobyl
21 (19.4%)
ctf_Coolbya
16 (14.8%)
ctf_Crashed
17 (15.7%)
ctf_Freefall
7 (6.5%)
ctf_Luxor
11 (10.2%)
ctf_Pilot
10 (9.3%)
ctf_Roundabout
5 (4.6%)
ctf_Scorpion
7 (6.5%)
None of them please me.
14 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Voting closed: August 22, 2012, 08:08:12 am

Author Topic: What CTF maps would you like to have added?  (Read 7118 times)

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
What CTF maps would you like to have added?
« on: November 26, 2009, 06:24:59 am »
Pick the maps that you think are worth default.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 12:13:11 am by Keron Cyst »

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
Re: What new maps you like to be added?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 07:20:17 am »
ctf_Crashed & ctf_Chernobyl - Even though the remakes might be better than the ones which were in previous versions, it doesn't mean they are good enough now. I strongly believe that if a layout just doesn't work well, there's no way to make it good enough except for remaking the whole layout (aka making a completely new map lulz)
Actually Crashed b c00l

ctf_Pilot - Oh way too messy. Honestly speaking I never understood how the map got into the beta.

ctf_Scorpion - Why add this if there are better options for dropping flags? Actually why add a dropping flag map at all...

ctf_Freefall - I'll quote myself hehe: "-- if a layout just doesn't work well, there's no way to make it good enough --" Spawn here spawn there spawn everywhere oh nade kit thank you need some hp aswell oh there it comes thanks.

ctf_Luxor - Uh no. The map has a nice idea behind yes. Grabbing the flag is annoying yes. Not saying it's a bad map but it's not fun to play.

ctf_Coolbya3 & ctf_Roundabout2 - :):) yes please. Triple yes for Coolbya.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 08:27:39 am by Dusty »

Offline Biggles

• Flagrunner
  • Mapping rotating
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 08:35:49 am »
Coolbya3, Luxor, scorpion, freefall, but I would like to see some improved looks on freefall

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 12:57:30 pm »
I'll pick Scorpion, Luxor and Crashed.
The other maps: Pilot is too small to be used in any ctf game, The looong way down to the stable ground in Freefall is scary spawn skies, Roundabout has a diagonal layout with a bar in the middle (this just isn't okay, k?) and Chernobyl has this kinda flat feeling... Coolbya dunno, I don't get the layout of that map. ::)
...PC vs Mac is like AK47 vs M4A1...
<DutchFlame`> i once heard running runescape in the background gave you a speedboost
<Mr> yes, it allocates more electrons, so there are more electrons available for Soldat -> they are streched less and it is more fluent

Soldat PolyWorks 1.5.0.13 - AimMode - Aim practise gamemode script - Fryer's SoldatStream Mod

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 01:53:25 pm »
I think the best maps on that list are Crashed and Pilot.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstien

Offline jerich

• Camper
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 02:59:45 pm »
      ctf_Coolbya    - havent played it, can't comment on it
      ctf_Chernobyl - theres a reason why this was removed previously, and the fixes don't help much   
      ctf_Crashed - the reason they removed this was because of the spawns, but this possibly has a chance with the new spawns
      ctf_Luxor - I made my comment on how I personally feel its unbalanced   
      ctf_Pilot - too small of a map, but probably the best map here sadly
      ctf_Freefall - I am completely against this maps, F this layout, F the looks, just please do us a favor and remove it... Why improve the looks on a layout that is really flawed...P.S. If the layout was good, the looks are already nice. It's SIMPLE and not over scenerized.
      ctf_Scorpion    - Only played this once so I can't really comment on it...was mehhh when I played it
      ctf_Roundabout - a 3v3 is tactical and would work, but a 5v5+ public server would be a complete spam with ALOT of nades.   
Clan: R7 | The Ruthless

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 06:30:57 pm »
ctf_Coolbya - nice layout, nice balance, but I hated the colors. Maybe I just don't like that particular mix colors, I don't know. It doesn't feel "icy" enough.. more like soap. But who cares what colors I like, it's still a nice map. :D

ctf_Luxor.. not sure about this one. It's not a bad map, but there's too much spacing between chunks of terrain and not enough cover. It feels more like a DM map rather than CTF.

ctf_Pilot is a nice small map, I like the layout, but as Dusty said - too messy. Sceneries that don't play an important part in gameplay should be toned down, be more transparent so that they blend with the background and don't distract. Polygon shading can also be improved in some spots.

ctf_Freefall isn't too bad, though I get a feeling we're talking about different versions. The one I played on looked decent enough, although again, the concept (kits fall into the pit) isn't that great.

ctf_Scorpion has nice layout and visuals, but concept kinda fails. First thought most people seem to have is "WTF bug?".
It's also not immediately clear that the statue on top route is actually blocking your way. It either needs to be removed or replaced with something that actually looks more like a wall.

ctf_Roundabout - simple and original. Gameplay is pretty straight-forward, but it's a nice contrast comparing to other more complicated maps. I'd say keep this map at least for the sake of variety.

ctf_Crashed - you mean this one? http://forums.soldat.pl/index.php?topic=36696.0
Layout seems pretty playable, but sceneries look a bit confusing.

BTW, it would be helpful to some people if you also link to threads with previews of those maps.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 02:44:58 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 03:28:53 am »
I'll add links to map release topics today.
Edit: forgot, add when energy
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 10:51:25 am by Suowarrior »

Offline Keron Cyst

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • will waypoint for food
Re: What CTF maps would you like to have added?
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 12:24:41 am »
... ctf_Chernobyl - Even though the remakes might be better than the ones which were in previous versions, it doesn't mean they are good enough now. I strongly believe that if a layout just doesn't work well, there's no way to make it good enough except for remaking the whole layout (aka making a completely new map lulz)
When I first began a match on Chernobyl, I pictured a gigantic (and I mean colossal) ctf_Run-sized factory filled with carnage & warfare. Then when I passed the subterranean armory and saw the Bravo flag, then hesitantly explored the roof, I thought... "That's it?"

I think something awesome can be made with that level's atmosphere. There's quite some potential to be much greater than the current.

Offline Bruno Baby

• Major(1)
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 09:04:52 pm »
Only 4 have my vote XD  :P

Offline nosejj

• Camper
    • Soldat Discord!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 09:06:22 pm »
 ctf_Chernobyl!

Offline Ymies

• Major
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 08:08:52 pm »
bassaliens0 is the best custom map since rotten. please dig it up

Offline SoldatFire

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 03:45:40 am »
Sure how can i vote about it if there are no screnshots of the map's ?
I'm drunk right now. I feel compelled to go to battle. This lamp in front of me has no chance. Die lamp die. Your light is gone. I have won.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 05:42:31 am »
Firstly, no screenshots cos looking at them doesn't tell that you have played/tested map.
Secondly, topic is not updated.
Thirdly, there won't be a new topic being arranged unless the new devs want that.

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 06:16:22 am »
It would be nice if someone posted here these maps' pictures...

Offline SoldatFire

• Soldier
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 11:32:38 am »
Sure how can i vote about it if there are no screnshots of the map's ?
I'm drunk right now. I feel compelled to go to battle. This lamp in front of me has no chance. Die lamp die. Your light is gone. I have won.

Offline Ymies

• Major
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 06:01:14 pm »
i thought you buttribbons were supposed to know the maps by name, not just vote on what looks the best

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 08:05:55 am »
Who in their right mind would want to know s**tty maps by name?

Offline SoldatFire

• Soldier
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 08:20:41 am »
i thought you buttribbons were supposed to know the maps by name, not just vote on what looks the best
STFU FAG

Offline Ymies

• Major
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 01:11:35 pm »
stop it guys you're breaking my faggot radar

if you're still wondering why, though, read the initial post by suow