Author Topic: ctf_Green  (Read 1369 times)

Offline ZaxanQ

• Major(1)
ctf_Green
« on: December 13, 2009, 07:36:09 am »
ctf_Green
First map after approximately 1,5 year interlude
by natsu (aka ZaxanQ).

[DL] http://www.speedyshare.com/files/19764073/ctf_Green.zip

PS Standard map, just for 'warm up' of my mapping skills, maybe next time I'll do something original, but I'm not promising.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 07:46:31 am by ZaxanQ »

DarkCrusade

Re: ctf_Green
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 07:42:33 am »
Where are the spawns?

Offline ZaxanQ

• Major(1)
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 07:43:31 am »

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 07:47:42 am »
Blah, SGs...
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 08:13:55 am »
nice map, but waaaay too complex, too many islands. I think I could make at least 3 maps with that.
the external spawns are really anoying, because they are too far way from battle.

the map is not compiled, just saved. click in compile to .pms instead of saving.
I strongly suggest that you use tms.jrgp.org for uploading your maps.
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 08:28:29 am »
Always check your map before you release it. This map isn't compiled so you just fly through polygons. I compiled and uploaded it into good host: http://suowarrior.fileave.com/ctf_Green.rar feel free to update your link with it.

You have used more than 2000 polygons, that's too much. Less than 700 and it would be ok. 2000 polygons are causing seriously bad fps and propably loads of polybugs.

The map layout seems itself fine. Okay player spawns and flag places. Also every route got use. I don't prefer using such chaos of polyislands in center, simple is better (less polyislands).

Sceneryusage is okay, though you could have done both sides different.

Could be okay map if you'd fix the polygon count.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 08:30:47 am by Suowarrior »

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 10:56:51 am »
m79 dominance?

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 12:42:06 pm »
I never seen a map with uh.. so many routes. Layout looks interesting, I'd love to try out this map someday.
I like the colors too, except maybe red/blue part is a bit too saturated.

But yeah.. you went way overboard with polygons. You need to go over your map and optimize it - delete all unnecessary polygons. For example, outside of the map is made of 2 extra layers of polygons which increases polycount by about 500.
There's absolutely no reason to keep that 2nd layer. 1st layer is necessary for shading I suppose, but you can still reduce polycount there like I've shown on the picture.
See polygons1.jpg (at the bottom).

There's a lot of unnecessary polygons in the islands themselves - delete some polygons inside the islands and join vertices.
More importantly - delete some polygons on the outside of islands as they will cause a lot of polybugs. There are a lot of places where you have a straight surface split into several fragments.
See polygons2.jpg (at the bottom).

Other than polycount/polybug issues it seems decent, especially for the first  map. But I'll save "good job" until you optimise it. ;D
I suggest you look at one of my maps (in the sig) at how I do polybug fixing. Or someone else's maps. Either way it'd be a good experience for  you if you look at how maps by other mappers are made.
Good luck
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 12:51:48 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Biggles

• Flagrunner
  • Mapping rotating
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 04:05:03 am »
I don't know why but the layout looks funny if your playing like 5v5 etc, cool looks!