Author Topic: ctf_Kampfer - ctf_Kampf remake *updated 1st post*  (Read 5795 times)

DarkCrusade

ctf_Kampfer - ctf_Kampf remake *updated 1st post*
« on: December 03, 2009, 02:20:28 pm »
ctf_Kampfer

Updated: Map is now much brighter and shouldn´t have any polybugs at all. I deleted the old polygons/scenery/waypoints and completly recreated Kampf from sketch. You can see the final result below ;)

Enjoy 8)

New

Original

Many thanks go to:

Loner
SuoWarrior

You were a great help, dudes ;)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 03:06:24 am by DarkCrusade »

Offline Wraithlike

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • The Ichthyologist
Re: ctf_Struggle - Kampf remake
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 08:07:59 pm »
There already is a kampf remake named struggle. Please rename it.

Edit: Here it is! In the future you should quickly google the map name to make sure something else comes up.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 08:09:49 pm by Wraithlike »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 10:29:54 pm »
I really like the:
1) Shading
2) Sceneries
3) The fact that there is a theme.

The bad thing about this map is that it's too dark, not enough contrast. Try making the background lighter.
I also suggest you change the angle of Red Flag's BG scenery. I think it'd look better if it doesn't go outside that small room where flag is, so instead of having it diagonal - make it vertical.

Also, even though colors themselves are nice - it's boring that they're the same on both bases. Add at least a little bit of red/blue tint to different sides, so that both bases have a different atmosphere.

I'd prefer to see this remake in 1.5.1 instead of the other one with "bridges" in the middle. Though I don't know about the one Wraithlike mentioned - all links on that page are dead. :/

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 03:40:16 am »
Looks pretty cool, I doubted that would you ever map something that pleases me. This is good work!

Yeap you need to rename it. Also bg is too dark, I suggest you to copy paste old (1.5) Equinox's bg, it should do well there and not being too dark.

Agreed on that bases should look different. Use bluish/redish colors in bravo/alpha bases.

There's one thing where MM was better than mappers today, he got a trick to prevent polybugs

You've "fixed'" a few similiar corners same way and now they are causing some bugs (noticed that when tested my kampf modification, did same fail there). I'm also wondering why did you sharpened some corners? Especially the one in bravo base at top of downhill to flag.

You must delete fade scenery, since they are .png, and not allowed in new default maps/remakes.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 03:44:41 am by Suowarrior »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 01:06:17 pm »
Looks pretty cool, I doubted that would you ever map something that pleases me. This is good work!

Yeap you need to rename it. Also bg is too dark, I suggest you to copy paste old (1.5) Equinox's bg, it should do well there and not being too dark.

I already chose a new name for the map. It will be ctf_After the War (ctf_ATW). I didn´t find any map with that name when searching for it so I guess it will be alright.

I will lighten it up a bit or try out your suggestion, EA, but I really don´t understand what you try to point out with MM. Please explain me what you mean ???

It could be that I sharpened some corners, because I took a sketch of the map and created the map from sketch. Imprecision is what may have caused this.

Without the fade.png it won´t look as good as it does with but I gonna delete them :)

Try making the background lighter.
I also suggest you change the angle of Red Flag's BG scenery. I think it'd look better if it doesn't go outside that small room where flag is, so instead of having it diagonal - make it vertical.

Also, even though colors themselves are nice - it's boring that they're the same on both bases. Add at least a little bit of red/blue tint to different sides, so that both bases have a different atmosphere.

I'd prefer to see this remake in 1.5.1 instead of the other one with "bridges" in the middle. Though I don't know about the one Wraithlike mentioned - all links on that page are dead. :/

Oh wow, it really looks better with changed angle :) I gonna give your color suggestions a go since I think, too, that the map has too little colors.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 01:44:38 pm »
I really don´t understand what you try to point out with MM. Please explain me what you mean ???

Polygons' corner will bug if its made like this: http://i46.tinypic.com/e6vn2w.png

If it's made with MM style, it wont bug: http://i49.tinypic.com/24e6yag.png

To make it clear, I mean the sharp corner.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 01:46:11 pm by Suowarrior »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 01:46:06 pm »
Oh, hell, now I understand :)

Offline LORD KILLA

• Camper
  • Happie
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 01:55:39 pm »
Kampf > German > Fight/Battle -.-

DarkCrusade

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 02:16:38 pm »
Kampf > German > Fight/Battle -.-

I am German, too, and struggle is similiar to fight/battle, so where´s the problem ...

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 03:29:36 pm »
Without the fade.png it won´t look as good as it does with but I gonna delete them :)

Well, if you really want to use them - you can take a screenshot in polyworks and then re-save those bits with fades as BMP. It might not have transparency anymore but scenery's background color should match the BG of the map.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 06:46:04 am »
Kampfer/Kampfen? If these aren't used go ahead.

I gonna use ctf_Kämpfen (English `to fight´) :)

Well, if you really want to use them - you can take a screenshot in polyworks and then re-save those bits with fades as BMP. It might not have transparency anymore but scenery's background color should match the BG of the map.

That´s a good idea, I will try it out.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 06:52:27 am »
... Not every keyboard have Ä, Ö, Å, etc letters. So no for Kämpfen.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 12:50:45 pm »

You are the boss ;) I tried out this fixing you talked of. It´s reducing the polycount so I am happy with it :)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 03:02:30 pm »

You are the boss ;) I tried out this fixing you talked of. It´s reducing the polycount so I am happy with it :)
Translations sound too different from "Kampf". I predict a lot of "WTF WHERES KAMPF OMG 1.5.1 SUCKS" kinds of comments.

How about Kampfen, without any special symbols? I think it's perfect - it preserves original map's name, and at the same time it's a little different, showing that it's good old "kampf", but not quite. A perfect name for a default map remake.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 03:08:59 pm »
Who said this is going to be added? Can't see anything "better" here.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 03:11:58 pm by Dusty »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 02:11:55 am »
Who said this is going to be added? Can't see anything "better" here.

Oh, my lord. Old ctf_Kampf was ... ugly and I made it imo prettier.

@Loner: I already took ctf_Kampfen before you posted :P

DarkCrusade

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2009, 12:41:54 pm »
Updated map. Picture below, download in attachment.

-New coloring (added red and blue colors to the bases)
-New waypointing (old waypoints were awful)
-Polygonfixes done like SuoWarrior recommended (thanks for that)
-minor tweaks at stretching and some more scenery in the background

Any thoughts about the new version?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 05:02:23 pm by DarkCrusade »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2009, 06:38:40 pm »
There seems to be no more interest into Struggle so I quit the project for now and continue remaking other maps (I am about to finish an inf_Warehouse remake).

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 07:36:08 pm »
There seems to be no more interest into Struggle so I quit the project for now and continue remaking other maps (I am about to finish an inf_Warehouse remake).
Ehh, I hope you are aware of my inf_Warehouse remake, right? It's in my sig. Though if your remake has a different and darker atmosphere rather than just minor changes - I'll be looking forward to it.

As for Kampfen (Kampfer sounds like "camper", which doesn't go with map's fast-paced and meaty gameplay at all) -
I still think there's not enough contrast between polys and background, and not enough color.
My monitor is bright enough, I see everything on all other maps. It's also late here right now, so it's darker in the room and even easier to see things on screen. But I'm still having a bit of a trouble with all that darkness. :/
Polygon structure isn't very efficient in some spots - there's still a lot of potential polybugs and unnecessary polygons which lead to even more polybugs.

Still, as far as design goes - it's great. I like the rusty colors.
If you don't mind, I could fix polybugs and adjust the colors myself, and then post the tweaked version here.

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2009, 07:55:28 pm »
All i see is black.

This isn't murder in the dark.
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh