Author Topic: Remake default weapon icons?  (Read 8037 times)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Re: Remake default weapon icons?
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2009, 07:41:21 pm »
That still doesn't make a valid point to me to have soldat change a little. It's kind of annoying since from a point of view, you just couldn't be bothered to actually mod it yourself. Soldat is a moddable lil' game, from back to front.
Yes, Soldat is moddable, but don't assume that everyone likes and wants mods. I for one never really changed anything about how Soldat looks except weapons. If weapons looked good in the first place - I wouldn't have changed them either, at least not before I was completely bored with them.

When it comes down to it soldat weapons ARE soldat weapons, they define soldat in a way...
Well this is a good point. If i understood you right - you're saying original icons should be left as they are because they're part of original Soldat's style.
But in that case what would you think if MM himself made different icons? Would consider them to be part of Soldat just because MM made them?

Also, there are many more important things that define Soldat better. Weapon icons don't define Soldat as much as they create an impression of low-res graphics.
New players won't care about how the icons "define" Soldat and would rather see better graphics, while most of the old players who might actually care about old icons are long bored with them and are using mods instead.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 07:43:33 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 09:35:26 am »
If weapons looked good in the first place - I wouldn't have changed them either, at least not before I was completely bored with them.

That. Modding is a defining aspect of Soldat. We want people to make mods. If you don't like something, do it yourself.

Too high quality defaults makes modding too competitive to top just the default style then and will make the modding community deader than it already is.

No matter what, to the people who care about what their weapons look like, the defaults will always get old. If you don't allow for new modded weapons to be better than the old ones, people are going to lose interest.

Counterproductive.

Don't dare cite those who've playing with the same default weapons for years. Those are also those players who didn't give a flying flotsam about what their guns looked like; they were in for the action.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 09:44:37 am by Espadon »
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Crimson Goth

• Camper
  • A*|INF|Veteran
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 01:34:57 pm »
because there are people who like the old looks.

it'd just create a lot of whine between opinions
And I'm one of those 'people'

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 03:34:24 pm »
Too high quality defaults makes modding too competitive to top just the default style then and will make the modding community deader than it already is.

No matter what, to the people who care about what their weapons look like, the defaults will always get old. If you don't allow for new modded weapons to be better than the old ones, people are going to lose interest.

Finally, another good argument and I kind of agree on this one. I still think some very slight improvements (tweak the colors a tiny bit) wouldn't hurt, but those would probably go unnoticed anyway so there's no point in them..

Well, now I'm satisfied. <3

Links and icon replacements are still welcome though.

Offline Boots

• Veteran
  • I Am Iron Man
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 02:41:35 am »
because there are people who like the old looks.

it'd just create a lot of whine between opinions
Those can always copy over old icons from an older version of Soldat. Or better - not play new versions at all.
you're a bloody idiot. yes, lets do that because that would fix everything.

just go download some bloody mods. why is this thread still even open for discussion, it's not going to go anywhere..?

..point of changing colours of the current weapons? what the hell would that do. not only would anyone not notice, it'd be 100% pointless. Like i said, there are more important things. if people want to change there look of there soldat it means that they will look for a way to do it, which will bring them here. hence fix the problem as they would find mods.

+ who cares about the new guys who whinge about the 2d graphics, and bad looks. they don't stick around, they just go play there cod.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 02:46:01 am by Boots »
That girl's a genius
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh
I think she's serious
Whoa oh oh oh oh oh oh

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2009, 03:13:33 pm »
Like i said, there are more important things. if people want to change their look of their soldat it means that they will look for a way to do it, which will bring them here. hence fix the problem as they would find mods.
What kinds of more important things?
Like I said, EnEsCe is the only one who can work on "more important things".
also, lurn 2 spell. It's basic english.

+ who cares about the new guys who whinge about the 2d graphics, and bad looks. they don't stick around, they just go play there cod.
Soldat isn't a game just for retro fans. It needs new players to keep it alive. Even veterans will get tired and leave eventually. Think back to the days when you were just a Major yourself.

Don't exaggerate. I'm not talking about spoiled 12-year-olds who only consider games good if they look like Crysis. And I'm not even trying to compare Soldat to CoD (though you sure mention it a lot, how about you go play it yourself?), I'm talking about visual standarts of a simple 2D game. I'm simply saying that by 2D-game standarts it could be a bit better.

..point of changing colours of the current weapons? what the hell would that do. not only would anyone not notice, it'd be 100% pointless.
I wouldn't expect you to understand if you don't have a slightest idea about pixel art.
hint: look at the blurry mess AK is, look at how Steyr is almost all solid color. Not that it will tell you anything.

-----

Closure:
More or less valid arguments I've heard so far are:
- default icons are part of Soldat's visual style (I wouldn't really call that "style", but there is a point)
- low-res default icons make mods more popular (sounds as if players are being forced to download mods, but it's understandable how mods would become less wanted if original icons were same quality)

And like I've said, those are good arguments and sound like an acceptable reason to keep original icons. I understand. You can go play your CoD now, Boots.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 03:17:36 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2009, 04:54:36 pm »
Like I said, EnEsCe is the only one who can work on "more important things".

Last time I checked you had no control over what was packaged in the Soldat installer. You're not going to make a difference here.
gb2suggestionforum pls

also, lurn 2 spell. It's basic english.

...standarts of a simple 2D game. I'm simply saying that by 2D-game standarts...

"standard" is the correct spelling.

Nice going there.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 04:58:15 pm by Espadon »
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0