Poll

Should you be able to go out of prone by pressing Crouch or Jump instead of Prone?

F11 (no)
F12 (yes)

Author Topic: Going out of prone  (Read 3602 times)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Going out of prone
« on: January 30, 2010, 04:56:14 pm »
Right now there's only two ways of standing up from prone position - press prone button again, or look backwards. Both of those ways are not the most comfortable. What if you want to crouch or jump right after that? You have to press the prone button again, and then the crouch/jump button.

This can be made much easier if pressing jump or crouch would automatically make you stand up. For example, to stand up and jump you could just hold the W button and the soldier would stand up and jump as soon as he can. Yay?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 05:01:09 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
Re: Going out of prone
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 05:02:24 pm »
nop, i think it will bother on other movs. Like, i do a nice mov, doing frontflip (D+W+S+A) and prone bug at the very moment, i think i will cannot able to do that if so...

DarkCrusade

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 05:08:28 pm »
Moving in Soldat is already easy enough. Just get used to it.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 05:33:02 pm »
Moving in Soldat is already easy enough. Just get used to it.
isn't movement considered as a hard thing in soldat? ;o

DarkCrusade

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 05:40:10 pm »
isn't movement considered as a hard thing in soldat? ;o

It´s the first thing you learn when playing the game.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 06:51:51 pm »
But isn't it still better and easier this way (to press just one key to do 2 things at once)?
It's good if you can get used to something, but it's even better if you don't have to get used to something in the first place. I think this is a nice small addition which won't hurt Soldat at all, and it doesn't sound like it's too hard to do.

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 07:06:06 pm »
even bots know how to aim using the weapon arc depending on one's speed. But, movement is the true art of Soldat. Just watch Chile x German TNL v1.4.2, you will figure out.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 07:09:27 pm »
even bots know how to aim using the weapon arc depending on one's speed. But, movement is the true art of Soldat. Just watch Chile x German TNL v1.4.2, you will figure out.
"Movement as art" in Soldat is the special tricks like in Mutilator.NZ's movement guide. Simply going out of prone is no art. :/
What I'm talking about is making basic things a little easier.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 07:21:26 pm »
I think it's a waste... it's easy and quick enough already.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 09:06:43 pm »
so in mid air if your proning and you press crouch u will stand up lol
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

DarkCrusade

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 04:07:46 am »
... and then jump ;D

Just screw this idea Loner, it´s not worth to waste time on this. There are far more important issues in Soldat.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 03:08:40 pm »
so in mid air if your proning and you press crouch u will stand up lol
... and then jump ;D

Just screw this idea Loner, it´s not worth to waste time on this. There are far more important issues in Soldat.

If player is prone - "jump" and "crouch" would become "prone" button. If player stands up - jump/crouch will become what they normally are. It's not some new move that needs 50+ lines of code. It's simply a shortcut for pressing Prone+Crouch or Prone+Jump.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 04:48:32 pm »
nop, i think it will bother on other movs. Like, i do a nice mov, doing frontflip (D+W+S+A) and prone bug at the very moment, i think i will cannot able to do that if so...

Sounds like a very nice move indeed.
Can you provide a video of this trick?

I'd like to try it too :)

On topic: F11 cause I would be more likely to press jump or crouch by mistake and unprone unintentionally.

Offline biohazard

• Camper
  • B4bY NighT
    • B4bY NighT
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 05:37:59 pm »

Sounds like a very nice move indeed.
Can you provide a video of this trick?

I'd like to try it too :)

On topic: F11 cause I would be more likely to press jump or crouch by mistake and unprone unintentionally.

Not that very special mov ever, simple to do.

Prolyl you know how to perform a frontflip. Well, if not:
Jump with D+W, while holding D+W press S and right after A, now you are holding all keys. When you roll do a prone. Better if you are movin' faster.
Its nice to enter Ash base, or to catch the bravos flag if you are rushing at nubia lower route, or just to avoid bullets like perform worming... or other things...

With that you can make your vid, i am not that smart to make those gif vids.

I personaly call it hawk atack, cuz i remember The Hawk on streetfighter game. I use it alot at Kampf as Alpha rushing after the middle colider, with Deagles of course. Visual is the must. ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 05:42:01 pm by biohazard »

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 07:09:00 pm »
It´s the first thing you learn when playing the game.

It's the last thing you master.
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 11:07:35 pm »
Right now you'd have to press 2 keys for that, so the chance of pressing the wrong key is twice as high. Especially if you change your control layout - it'll take longer to get used to the changes.

I base this from my own experience. I changed my controls recently and having hard time getting used to them. Even before changing the controls - prone was a bit of a problem for me. Sometimes I'd hold prone button for a few milliseconds too long, and my soldier would stand up and go back to prone.

The point of my suggestion is to prevent many of such cases when you accidentally mess up the controls.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 08:33:49 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline VinceBros

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 04:20:32 pm »
It's really interesting..
I'd F12 that.

Offline tehsnipah

• Veteran
  • Koreanah Snipah
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 04:35:00 pm »
Redundant controls will rather make the gameplay more annoying. I F11, because you can obviously press prone button and press jump button quickly unless you're some mentally disabled guy who is slow as hell.

Get used to the movements first, and if you still can't get used to, then I don't know what to say. Your idea rather seems pointless in my view.....
"Prudence is good when pulling the trigger on a heavy firearm. It's all or nothing. So is life, wouldn't you say?"

Offline Ethan

• Major(1)
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 02:09:25 am »
I can't believe there are people arguing against this, it's a no-brainer to me; the inability to get out of prone by pressing jump/crouch stuck out at me right away as an un-intuitive control setup in an otherwise very easy-to-play game.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 05:33:49 pm »
I can't believe there are people arguing against this, it's a no-brainer to me; the inability to get out of prone by pressing jump/crouch stuck out at me right away as an un-intuitive control setup in an otherwise very easy-to-play game.
Most people here are experienced players who have long gotten used to their control layout. I'm not surprised that they're having trouble looking at this (and other problems) from other points of view. This feature would probably be more welcome if more newbies shared their opinion. But unfortunately new players are not usually interested in the forums at this point.

Almost every shooter works in a similar way -  you can always press jump to do many things - to jump (obviously), to go from prone to crouch and from crouch to standing stance. It's much more intuitive this way, and I don't see why Soldat shouldn't have this nice little feature if it's not hard to code.