Author Topic: DM MrSnowman remake  (Read 5726 times)

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • There will be time when I create maps again.
DM MrSnowman remake
« on: January 31, 2010, 11:47:03 am »
Finally got interested to finalize and release this one. It's again 99% look update into dm default map, that I'm going to suggest to replace the default map.

Download

List of gameplay updates (that I remember)
- Smoother sliding (you won't get stuck in some sticky polygons)
- Snowman changed to be bullet colliding
- Polybug fixes
- Added a few new hiding scenery at the top

Used several sceneryusages by other mappers (mostly by vig) that looked cool in their maps.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:48:43 am by Suowarrior »

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
Re: DM MrSnowman remake
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 12:04:26 pm »
I don't approve this one...
The primary difference between old one and this one is that new colouring fails. Those large red/blue areas have no logical explanation. And as a whole old one was much nicer due to a proper combination and brighter colours.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 11:46:23 pm »
1) Too much of rock texture and too little snow. This new texture looks too dirty, which is IMHO the worst part about the remake. :S

2) The small gap at the top route (where vest spawn is) looks a bit random. I think it'd look better as a broken bridge instead of a random thin piece of ground. Also, maybe you should make the gap a tiny bit bigger, so that this passage is easier to use?

3) The strange dark scenery that looks like a trash bin (Friedhof_grabstein3.bmp, a bit to the left from vest spawn) should have colliders. At least that's the first thing I'd expect from a scenery that stands out so much. I guess you meant it to be only for hiding, but personally I see it more as a collider. Hiding sceneries are normally trees and bushes. Maybe it's just me..

4) I don't mind bluish parts but the red areas really are random and don't belong in a snowy map. There's no need for many colors. White and a tiny tint of blue here and there - that should be enough to add some variation, but no more.

5) More rambo bow spawns maybe, so that it's less predictable?

Good job on the sceneries though. If only there was a smoother texture (not as boring as the original, but a little less dirty) - this remake would look a whole lot better.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 11:50:26 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 06:00:09 am »
Texture itself is fine, it follows the laws of psysics which is what Loner obviously didn't want.
Being dirty inside the ground is obvious and being dirty in the surface gives the smeared winter warfare feeling.

If you'd kill some of that red and blue color, I would actually prefer this one.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 10:23:00 am »
The primary difference between old one and this one is that new colouring fails. Those large red/blue areas have no logical explanation.
No matter if it's logical or not, I prefer using different colors more than using just white/gray which is damn boring compo to be whole map. Also blue marks the icy polys. However I can do it less bluish/redish as smiluu said.

1) Too much of rock texture and too little snow. This new texture looks too dirty, which is IMHO the worst part about the remake. :S

2) The small gap at the top route (where vest spawn is) looks a bit random. I think it'd look better as a broken bridge instead of a random thin piece of ground. Also, maybe you should make the gap a tiny bit bigger, so that this passage is easier to use?

3) The strange dark scenery that looks like a trash bin (Friedhof_grabstein3.bmp, a bit to the left from vest spawn) should have colliders. At least that's the first thing I'd expect from a scenery that stands out so much. I guess you meant it to be only for hiding, but personally I see it more as a collider. Hiding sceneries are normally trees and bushes. Maybe it's just me..

4) I don't mind bluish parts but the red areas really are random and don't belong in a snowy map. There's no need for many colors. White and a tiny tint of blue here and there - that should be enough to add some variation, but no more.

5) More rambo bow spawns maybe, so that it's less predictable?

1) I checked the list of matching possibilities for snow scenery already, but I'll do fast recheck, though I'm happy with mandarynka. Going to be sort of hard but I'll try find some places to add more snow too.
2) Not going to change it, it's easy to use.
3) I thought about adding colliders in that too. Going to do it.
5) Dunno really about rambo bows, I've played that gamemode like 20mins. I'll add them somewhere.

Thx for the suggestions/critics.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 09:01:04 pm »
No matter if it's logical or not, I prefer using different colors more than using just white/gray which is damn boring compo to be whole map.
You could use white and light-blue + add even more variation with darks and lights. Red snow just doesn't suit a winter map (I'm not even talking about logic - I'm talking about feel). Besides, color isn't the only way to make the map look interesting. With this map I think you should concentrate on shading and sceneries rather than color.

As for texture - I dug up a few cleaner ones which might look better:
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 09:03:40 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 06:06:22 am »
I tried it ingame and the dirtyness didn't matter a f**k there. It looked quite nice actually (as I was able to ignore the unnatural colors).
Snowy weather being off was quite irritating.

Offline Suowarrior

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 09:15:09 am »
Pistacja is one of the worst scenery default pack and xt_winter is sort of way overused.

I'll set snowy weather back even though it always distracts me and I'm too lazy to kill weather effects in my Soldat.

Offline duz

• Flagrunner
  • Old nick: HunterZ
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 01:13:08 pm »
Suowarrior, one of my favorite mappers.
I would like to see the remake again.

Does anyone could revive the topic w/ DL and/or image?
2002-2007 / 2009-2012
HunterZ The Movie I / II / III
Awards