Author Topic: Can't afford BattlEye  (Read 70406 times)

Offline ramirez

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Camper
    • Soldat Central
Re: Can't afford BattlEye
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2010, 07:01:04 pm »
I think we should do nothing to pay $able for his work. Let him get out of here with his BE. It's no matter to me cause I wasn't cheating and I'm not going to.
... I don't think you understand the point of an anti-cheat. :)

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2010, 07:34:26 pm »
I understand it's point but as long as I don't cheat it doesn't bother me. Especially that cheaters are easy to kill (most of them can't even aim). :)
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2010, 08:06:09 pm »
I understand it's point but as long as I don't cheat it doesn't bother me.
It still doesn't make much sense... anti-cheats are made to prevent others from cheating, so that YOU can enjoy the game.
What you're saying is "as long as I'm not cheating - I'm enjoying the game", which has nothing to do with anti-cheat itself.

Especially that cheaters are easy to kill (most of them can't even aim). :)
Not always. Not when someone's using a dodge/aim bot with infinite knives, or something like that. That's what I've seen a few times, and those hackers were trouble. They'd kill you before you even see it coming. I'm an experienced player, but I still had a lot of trouble dealing with them.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 08:07:41 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline TeZzA

• Major(1)
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2010, 12:07:40 am »
Wow...Does $able even lose any money making BE? Or what ever he does with it....Seems kinda like a grab at money really...Im sure it doesnt cost 200 euro a month to uphold....Plus if we get eC to do it we will get low ping on all BE servers seems like a good deal to me!

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2010, 01:26:08 am »
Considering that soldat is still somewhat active only due to veteran players who know each other and are playing mostly among them selfs, removing BE won't be that destructive... Actually i think it's natural for such an old project as Soldat to start being officially dropped...  :'(
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:27:46 am by VirtualTT »

Offline ramirez

• Camper
    • Soldat Central
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2010, 02:18:01 am »
Considering that soldat is still somewhat active only due to veteran players who know each other and are playing mostly among them selfs, removing BE won't be that destructive... Actually i think it's natural for such an old project as Soldat to start being officially dropped...  :'(
I can't speak for everyone, but BE has made our lives as SCTFL and Gather admins that much easier. I don't even want to think about the days when the only way to catch hackers was to watch tons of demos, and still often there were inconclusive cases. It was a ton of tedious work, and that was when the league wasn't as big as it is today. With BE we have somewhat a reliable way to catch hackers that use detected hacks. And even though leagues like SCTFL or community projects like Soldat Gathers have a lot of veterans playing them, they're open to everyone, and we have to deal with hackers every single week.

I am not going to say that it's going to be a disaster without BE, but it's in the very least it's going to be a huge setback for Soldat. That's why I think we should do everything in our power to keep BE. There has been many good ideas on how to keep it alive, if we implement more than one of them, I'm sure than raising 200 a month will not be a problem. Here's the ideas that would be very easy and simple to setup:

1. Setup ads on soldat.pl and forums.soldat.pl (and possibly other related sites).
2. Setup a donation service. Would also be neat if there was a way for a person to subscribe to monthly payments (I'd gladly donate monthly, and if it's automated I don't even have to think about it or remember it). PayPal has a way to do both easily.
3. Try to find a sponsor or two.
4. Since I'm under the assumption that people still do buy the game, increase the game's registration fee a bit.

I'm sure that all of these 4 combined will give MM more than 200 dollars a month.

And if everything else fails, imho it's still better to do the original suggestion and make BE optional, but let server owners to decide whether to buy it or not. Even if majority of people (like people who host their own dedicated server on their own PC) would not pay for it, it'd at least give the opportunity for competitive clans to enable BE on their servers, and let leagues and gathers run more hacker-free. The pricing just has to be reasonable, so people who don't make any profit from their servers can still run them without having to pay large fees (in matter of fact, I think that having a reasonable price for BE will end up in better sales for $able, than having a bigger price and nobody paying for it).

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2010, 03:04:48 am »
ramirez is speaking my mind here, BE needs to stay for the tournaments, all the bans for hacks in my tournament were based on BE gamehack messeges and shitload of hackers were caught that way (big thanks to xurich for helping me with it)

BE needs to stay one way or another, if ad's/sponsoring won't work, we need to be able to buy BE on our own to our tournament/gather servers
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline Leo

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2010, 03:20:11 am »
I totally agree with ramirez and Mittsu, maybe some server owners don't give a shit about people hacking in their servers but I do. I need BE, even if I have to pay a fee for it.

Offline PANTERA

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major(1)
  • Italian Community Founder
    • Soldat Italia
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2010, 03:28:11 am »
Soldat is far from being dead. Developers' community is active, soldat is being actively developed, things are getting always better. Imho what everyone should do more is: advertising (I never did it in over 3 years of my own community, and don't see much advertising from others too). Without it it's difficult to find new players. New players are something what excluded from big competitions and gathers. Those are quite separate worlds. Let's promote soldat.gather et similia. Let's put advertisements on this and other sites and with earned money BE will be affordable.
BE is necessary but I think server owners should have more knowledge about the seriousness of each BE ban, an error number is not enough.

Offline TmTgr

• Major
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2010, 04:45:01 am »
Snowy for example
Made a great premium hack what can easily bypass BE.
Oh please, it works for 2 minutes. Thats not a bypass.

Offline Mercury92

• Camper
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2010, 04:47:29 am »
I said premium hack not free one
Snowy for example
[saw]  on 1.5.1

Offline Shard

• Camper
  • yeet
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2010, 05:30:45 am »
Snowy for example
That made me laugh, hard.

Hmm, if snowy can come up with a script like that. Why not just make more of the same kind of stuff, put them into soldats source code, and then we dont need BE? Am I wrong?

Offline F4ll

• Major(1)
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2010, 05:53:33 am »
still prefere this solutioin:
1. Make Soldat pay-for-play

wheres the problem with it?
i mean there can be different kinds how to get this working.

1. soldat is no more free (which i dont prefer) (maybe 2 weeks trial version) (maybe set down the price)
2. When the 1.5 v is released and we got accounts people who play very much like 2 hours per day have to register (ofc. accounts solve the cheater problem a bit too)
3. ...?

still the solutiion with google ads is great too!

but well
ther are less players than some years ago. so MM maybe send soldat 1.51 to some GameMagazins, Forums, whatever to make it more popular!

i remeber soldat 1.21 was on GameStar which is one of the biggest gaming magazins .. it was on the DVD, so maybe you can resend it dunno

OMG FUCK YOU WITH YOUR OPINION no one is gonna PAY , we just have to get advertisement

Offline dnmr

• Camper
  • emotionally handicapped
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2010, 05:57:39 am »
Snowy for example
That made me laugh, hard.

Hmm, if snowy can come up with a script like that. Why not just make more of the same kind of stuff, put them into soldats source code, and then we dont need BE? Am I wrong?
yes, how can you talk about stuff you have no idea about? This whole snowy thing is a complete nonsense to begin with, he can't code for shit >.> You're just flooding the thread

Gotta agree with ramirez so far

Making soldat a pay2play game would ruin things completely, not an option imo. Ads sound bearable, but not aggressive popups all over the place, that's just nasty

Offline VirtualTT

• Veteran
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2010, 06:00:41 am »
Soldat is far from being dead. Developers' community is active, soldat is being actively developed, things are getting always better.

You are way too optimistic... Where the hell do you see any development here? Minor update every 2 years? (btw 1.5.1 beta fails)

Offline PANTERA

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Major(1)
  • Italian Community Founder
    • Soldat Italia
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2010, 06:40:32 am »
You are way too optimistic... Where the hell do you see any development here? Minor update every 2 years? (btw 1.5.1 beta fails)
Just follow enesce blog and mantis tracker. Things can't get any faster if only one is involved in client/server development. Is he paid? Don't think so. Has he a real life? Probably yes. To get process run faster soldat needs more developers. I'm not in a hurry and the last decision is of MM. Soldat is enough good to create communities, advertise the game and increase overall activity. We must stay IT with the topic.

Offline SpiltCoffee

• Veteran
  • Spilt, not Split!
    • SpiltCoffee's Site
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2010, 07:56:51 am »
How about in-game advertisements for those who aren't registered?

Just throwing ideas around...
too much R6V2

Just follow enesce blog and mantis tracker. Things can't get any faster if only one is involved in client/server development. Is he paid? Don't think so. Has he a real life? Probably yes. To get process run faster soldat needs more developers. I'm not in a hurry and the last decision is of MM. Soldat is enough good to create communities, advertise the game and increase overall activity. We must stay IT with the topic.
So then maybe MM should turn to possibly making Soldat open source (which it seems he is thinking about actually doing).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 08:34:56 am by SpiltCoffee »
When life hands you High Fructose Corn Syrup, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Maltodextrin, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate,
Magnesium Oxide, Calcium Fumarate, Yellow 5, Tocopherol and Less Than 2% Natural Flavour... make Lemonade!

Offline Dimmea

• Major(1)
« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2010, 08:28:06 am »
Hello, sori for me englsz in front off al!
But seriously im playing Soldat for 5 years now and what i think is that admins can catch Hacker's more easily with BE. right we havent 200€ every month without any dumb donation by everyone.
i would like to tell you how many hackers were caught since BE was there (maybe before there was caught some hackers too)
SCTFL 16 yet: http://www.sctfl.net/forums/index.php?topic=21645.0
SCTFL 15: http://www.sctfl.net/forums/index.php?topic=15185.0
there are some more lists aviable but im to lazy to post it at all.
My solution idea is based on some system like that "wiki account" with a donate hotmail, every player is paying some money into it till any leauge like sctfl/sctfc/WC will start, then we could use the saved money and use BE for those 1 or 2 months.
Im not that posting ppl but i still have fun in playing that game and want to save it in the future..
In best regards Dimmea

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2010, 08:43:03 am »
leagues are fine without BE, the real problem is the public servers/gathers.

Offline Ouchek

• Soldier
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2010, 08:52:52 am »
MM, release soldats code so we can have a real dev'ing team...and we wouldnt be dependent on BE (if that team worked on an efficient antihack system) + we wouldn't have NSC coding it...I can't see any counter argument to this especially since as you say you don't really get much money off soldat so releasing the code wouldn't hurt you too much while it'd definitely please us all