Author Topic: Predator suggestion  (Read 3479 times)

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
Re: Predator suggestion
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 09:47:18 pm »
It's kind of hard to play the literal card when the berserk power up doesn't give you an axe and bearskin.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 01:17:32 pm »
I love how you support a retarded idea (having colored nick names in vote kick menu) but denies a decent suggestion.

there's 0 work in chaging the opacity and it's just generally a good suggestion...

Offline MattH

• Flagrunner
  • It's a real burn, being right so often.
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 01:26:32 pm »
I love how you support a retarded idea (having colored nick names in vote kick menu) but denies a decent suggestion.

there's 0 work in chaging the opacity and it's just generally a good suggestion...
Correction: really when it comes down to it, whether you think that the name color change is retarded, or the 100% invisible predator pack is retarded, its all a matter of opinion... so stop trolling pl0x.

Offline Mercury92

• Camper
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 01:35:46 pm »
Then make it optional. Hoster can set its own value.
[saw]  on 1.5.1

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 02:05:00 pm »
Then make it optional. Hoster can set its own value.
Even if it's optional, it won't solve the main problem - unless transparency is set to 100%, there will always be such thing as gamma cheat. And if transparency is set to 100% - it gives preds an unfair advantage.

I'd only support adjustable transparency if it's a scriptcore option. More features in scriptcore is always a good thing.

Offline Horve

• Flagrunner
  • Vig
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 02:17:35 pm »
there isn't much of an unfair advantage, since the predator becomes visible because of the blood splatters, which appear on the pred. when he takes damage.

Nevertheless, opacity doesn't necessarily have to be changed to zero, it could be decreased by 50% for the sake of making the eyes of those who abuse the contrast settings bleed uncontrollably.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 02:20:11 pm by Horve »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 02:24:34 pm »
But for pred to start bleeding he has to be damaged first. And you can't easily hurt someone if you can't even see him.

Right now it's hard but possible to see preds if they don't move carefully. With 100% transparency preds will be able to run and jump around right in front of enemy's nose without having to hide in the dark or behind sceneries, and the enemy won't even realize they're close. That's a huge advantage. :/

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2010, 04:26:19 pm »
Whilst experimenting with my own stealth feature for a project of my own, I found a pretty good solution that worked a lot better than i first anticipated. Maybe NSC could experiment a little with it, see how it runs.

Generate a random number where 0<n<1. Multiply that by the players velocity. Now use that value for the alpha transparency.
You want to do this per frame ideally, but you could execute this at any interval you like.

Basically as you stand motionless, you gently flicker at a very very small value. The flicker not only makes it look cool, but actually balances out visibility vs opacity quite nicely. The faster you move the more opaque you become, the bonus being terminal velocity multiplied by a small random value allows you to never become too visible or too transparent.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:30:09 pm by KYnetiK »
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline Crimson Goth

• Camper
  • A*|INF|Veteran
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 02:52:16 pm »
whats gamma cheat? Never heard of it

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 02:53:46 pm »
whats gamma cheat? Never heard of it
I'll PM you the answer. Don't want to post it for everyone to see (but they'll probably guess anyway..).