Author Topic: SOLDIBALL  (Read 6636 times)

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
SOLDIBALL
« on: June 24, 2010, 12:30:27 am »
Whatever happened to soldiball. that was by far my favorite game mode (script), mainly because you're forced to use teamwork...
it should be hosted again!
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
Re: SOLDIBALL
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 02:17:46 am »
what was it about?
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead
<+AThousandD> shit happens

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 02:56:20 am »
scripted on CTF.  green vs. yellow.  each team must try to get the flag (only 1 flag in game) to their respective goals.  you can only touch the flag for 3 seconds and have to pass, or else you die.  custom maps and no weapons of course.
essentially soccer hot potato.  it was really fun, i can tell you that (especially when people play well).
Like i said, the best part was having to use actual teamwork.

Offline squiddy

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • Flagger assassin
    • SoldatX
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 08:44:32 am »
If you explain me better, maybe I can work on it. I am pretty bored right now, so, if you want to challenge me, go ahead :P

I want some info ahead:

1- How many/which flags are there?
2- Do you have a map? Can you post it?
3- Where is/are the flag(s) located?
4- Does a team score? How?
5- What is the maximum score?

I would appreciate if you explained me the game-through. I have just started to work on it, with the info I actually have.

~~ Edit ~~

I've made like most of the Script. I just need to work on the stuff you need to tell me (Those questions above)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:32:47 am by squiddy »
www.soldatx.com.br - The brazilian Soldat community.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 09:08:52 am »
I'd guess you need 1 flag (either bravo or alpha)... the 3 second rule sounds a bit boring, better make everyone have a chainsaw that only does damage to a player with the flag. and then just have 2 positions on either side that gives 1 point for the scoring team if a person with the flag reachers it~... would probably need like half a second invulnerability, so that you can't just throw the flag to your opponent to kill... if you don't use that 3 seconds rule thingy...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:17:02 am by -Major- »

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 02:44:49 pm »
sounds fun, with the 3 seconds rule
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 03:26:40 pm »
I'd guess you need 1 flag (either bravo or alpha)... the 3 second rule sounds a bit boring, better make everyone have a chainsaw that only does damage to a player with the flag. and then just have 2 positions on either side that gives 1 point for the scoring team if a person with the flag reachers it~... would probably need like half a second invulnerability, so that you can't just throw the flag to your opponent to kill... if you don't use that 3 seconds rule thingy...

don't want to dismiss you harshly, but i've played this game mode before, and, to put it simple: it's a sport mode.  i guess since you probs didnt' play other sports mode (like soldat volleyball or dodgeball) it's hard to understand that it's not about killing.  everyone who actually played it loved it.

If you explain me better, maybe I can work on it. I am pretty bored right now, so, if you want to challenge me, go ahead :P

I want some info ahead:

I would appreciate if you explained me the game-through. I have just started to work on it, with the info I actually have.

~~ Edit ~~

I've made like most of the Script. I just need to work on the stuff you need to tell me (Those questions above)

wow awesome!!!
well, the script already existed, no idea who/what happened to it (forums search pulled up nothing)
as to your questions:

1 & 3 - red flag spawns somewhere in the middle (so that both teams have equal chance of getting it upon start) - blue flag is somewhere hidden off map, so that it's inaccessible
2 - i don't have a map on my current computer - when i go home this weekend i might be able to retrieve the maps from my older computer on which i used to play - of course, they're custom maps
4 - 2 goals, usually to the far left and far right. a goal is an empty space blocked off by bullet-only wall, so flag can be thrown in (therefore it's possible to score on yourself)
5 - max score i don't actually remember. it was displayed where CTF score is shown.

now i'm a scripter too (made a decent game mode once) - so all the flag-checks run during AppOnIdle function - so it's not exactly 3 seconds.  checking if flag is in goal requires knowledge of where goal is, which i guess was stored in external file and linked to map-name.  countdown is shown in bottom corner until death.  no alpha or bravo joining allowed... now that i think about it, it is actually really simple to code lol

props to you for doing this!

edit:
also, just like in soccer, the teams spawn points are usually on the side where the enemy has to score.

P.S.: this game mode is also good practice for throwing and catching flag in CTF
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 03:28:13 pm by zyxstand »

Offline Nixer

• Major(1)
  • Walk!
    • Eat-this community site
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 03:41:28 pm »
There's something called "BrutalSoccer".
It isn't really what you're looking for, but it's as close as it gets right now.
Well, maybe somebody will dig up the script and set up a server.

Offline Rotem

• Major
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 03:59:45 pm »
there are also beos knifes sports servers that also requiere some teamwork

Offline Mittsu

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 04:24:06 pm »
knife volleyball is the best sport-mode i played so far
Realistic-Soldat.net
<+elerok> soldat is dead

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 04:36:36 pm »
wow this sounds really nice;)
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 11:08:49 pm »
Oh yes, I remember playing it some time ago. Really loved it, and it really did involve a lot of teamwork. The only problem was that flag throw didn't work properly for some people (always worked fine for me though).

I played some of the knifeball-like gamemodes (NOT dodgeball ones), and IMHO they fail. Knives aren't meant to be caught or passed between teammates.

Please let me know if someone hosts a flagball server.

-----

One yellow flag.

I might have some left if I look really hard, but I don't have the opportunity for that right now. :S I'll try to find them as soon as I can.

Usually the middle of the map (middle, but NOT center - sometimes it would spawn high or low, on one map it fell from above and through the map)

On left and right side of the map there are areas (I'll call them "gates") which are inaccessible to players, but you can throw flags in there. To score you need to throw the flag into enemy's gate, after which your team gets a score and a flag is respawned back at the center of the map.
Though I don't remember if players were forced to respawn as well...

Don't remember, but I don't think it's too critical.
Since maps are small and gameplay is fast-paced, I'd suggest setting max score to about 7-10.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 11:21:36 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 11:44:12 pm »
uggh thnx l[one]r - i covered those points. and there is no yellow flag - it was a red flag (and teams were charlie and delta)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 11:46:20 pm »
uggh thnx l[one]r - i covered those points. and there is no yellow flag - it was a red flag (and teams were charlie and delta)
Oh. Sorry, not sure how I missed those. :S
For some reason I still remember flag being yellow.. either it was a different script, or I'm really confusing something. :S

Offline squiddy

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • Flagger assassin
    • SoldatX
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 10:01:55 am »
So, there is two "goals", one flag, and each team has to shoot the flag into their enemies goal.

I wonder how I can detect if a flag is 'inside' a goal. There is one way:

- Either we use the Yellow Flag (the main one) and we put the Alpha Flag in one side, and the Bravo Flag on the other side (should be easier) <- Checks the distance between the two flags, and scores.

Oooor.....

*I can't think in any other way. :P If someone has a suggestion for score-checking, please enlighten me :P*
www.soldatx.com.br - The brazilian Soldat community.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 12:42:44 pm »
oh wow squiddy haha, that's a good idea.
while i like the idea, it kinda restricts the goal size.  here's what i recommend:  i don't know if you know how to read external files, if not i can show you quickly, but essentially have an external file by the server that contains map names and their associated goal positions, for example:

Code: [Select]
format: mapname,cx1,cy1,cx2,cy2,dx1,dy1,dx2,dy2
where (x1,y1) & (x2,y2) are top-left & bottom-right coordinates of a goal and c & d are charlie and delta's goals respectively:
sdb_gameon,100,300,150,350,800,300,850,350
sdb_othermap,12,23,34,45,56,67,76,65

and you can go to OnMapChange and in that textfile search for the map name, and extract the relevant data. that means you'd have to manually edit the text file to contain a specific map's goal coordinates. i've done something similar for another game mode - it's relatively easy.

Offline Gizd

• Flagrunner
  • (Re)tired
    • Eat-this! community site
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 02:49:21 pm »
There's something called "BrutalSoccer".
It isn't really what you're looking for, but it's as close as it gets right now.
Well, maybe somebody will dig up the script and set up a server.
I will add it to BombSki's Multimode when I'll add team balancer to it so probably tomorrow. If MetalWarrior agrees I(or him) might add that hot potato thingy to it and remove chainsaws, but that would be a separate gamemode :P

Offline Swompie

• Camper
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 03:20:01 pm »
I was a bit bored so I coded the most important stuff, I'm gonna add a few more things then I will release it.
I'm sure a few wanna know what's already working:
  • You can score.
  • You get raped after 4 seconds. (Should be increased later ;p)
  • Nothing much more interesting.

I'll need to add some messages and the time till you get killed while holding the flag, aswell a few other misc things.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 03:50:40 pm »
just wondering, how did you do scoring? external txt file?
why 4 seconds? that's a long time. reduce it to 3 imo (that's how it was actually fun)

Offline Dakodun

• Major(1)
  • FU
    • chikin.net
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 05:15:16 pm »
Hello, this is the version of Soldiball that you played (and we played with you occasionally). It is worth noting that this is an older version of the script so some features may be missing or not function correctly, and that it was also made for 1.4.2 and the related server version. I also included all of the maps that were created for it, excluding custom scenery and textures that may be required (I'm unsure if any are). It's not pretty; it was never made to be observed by outside forces but should function as is - do as you please. (Note: you'll have to change '/scripts/scripts/mapinfo.ini' to the location of your mapinfo.ini. This occurs 8 times within the getMapValues procedure, line 101).

http://www.box.net/shared/tls29zi92o

Update: Okay, here is a seperate .rar (thanks to Soldat Map Packer) which contains map, scenery and all:
http://www.box.net/shared/fih77e8rpq

Update: If you're interested, we do have a server running Soldiball:
soldat://us.poonta.org:30087/
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 08:25:08 pm by Dakodun »