Author Topic: SOLDIBALL  (Read 6638 times)

Offline Swompie

• Camper
Re: SOLDIBALL
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 12:30:26 pm »
;o Now we have the script, but I'll finish my version of it anyways.

just wondering, how did you do scoring? external txt file?
why 4 seconds? that's a long time. reduce it to 3 imo (that's how it was actually fun)
It's pretty more less than you think :p, but needs testing like I said.
For the scoring, I used Alpha & Bravo spawn points to get the XY-Coordinates, but I need to add more because of the Y-Checks ;p

I've finished the script so far, anything works good.
If anyone wants to host this PM me, I've also made a few maps already.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 12:40:17 pm »
ok, so i take it you're checking if flag is to the left of alpha spawn or to the right of bravo spawn (which i didn't actually know you can do), so you need to know the vertical positions... if i understood correctly, then you're restricting the goal to be at the end of the field (like soccer) and not allowing gameplay behind it (like in hockey)
quite frankly, use the external file approach. it's really not that hard. it also doesn't require much maintenance. (if you're resisting it because you don't know how to use it, you should DEFINITELY do it to learn it!)
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline Swompie

• Camper
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 01:03:11 pm »
I know how to use that stuff  ;)
Also I don't need files because I use two spawnpoints for each team to get the position where the goals are.

Offline squiddy

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • Flagger assassin
    • SoldatX
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 04:09:24 pm »
Swompie, can you PM me the Score-Stuff? I'm very interested on knowing how you managed to do that. I have an idea, but I'm not sure if it would work.

I can host it for testing, if you'd like. Just PM me with the Script and I can open the server. :)

I've been travelling for the past three days, so I couldn't finish the Script, but I'm sure you've made a nice work. :D
www.soldatx.com.br - The brazilian Soldat community.

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2010, 06:04:55 pm »
if you want, PM me your script too, and i can do the external txt file reading stuff. should be pretty straight-forward!

Offline Swompie

• Camper
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 06:46:58 am »
Swompie, can you PM me the Score-Stuff? I'm very interested on knowing how you managed to do that. I have an idea, but I'm not sure if it would work.

I can host it for testing, if you'd like. Just PM me with the Script and I can open the server. :)

I've been travelling for the past three days, so I couldn't finish the Script, but I'm sure you've made a nice work. :D
I even need to brainstorm abit to make it perfectly work, but I can show you the script later if you want so.

Offline squiddy

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • Flagger assassin
    • SoldatX
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2010, 08:03:55 am »
Sure, I just wanted a piece :)

~~ Edit ~~

Script is veeeery near it's end.. I just need some massive testing before publishing it :)

Swompie, I still want to take a look at your code :P
I finally made mine work, but I wonder if you got any more efficient way to check the flag status. I use GetSpawnStat() and GetObjectStat(). :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:46:05 pm by squiddy »

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2010, 03:35:23 pm »
i partially take back what i said :P
i didn't understand how getspawnstat worked.  So essentially you put a spawnpoint in the map at each corner of the goal to determine its position and size? The only problem then i guess is that the map maker would either have to adhere to that rule, or send you the map and have you edit the spawn points etc. and send him back the compatible map.

Offline squiddy

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • Flagger assassin
    • SoldatX
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 03:49:18 pm »
i didn't understand how getspawnstat worked.  So essentially you put a spawnpoint in the map at each corner of the goal to determine its position and size? The only problem then i guess is that the map maker would either have to adhere to that rule, or send you the map and have you edit the spawn points etc. and send him back the compatible map.

Pretty much, all correct. I just gotta make some testing before I can say my Script is working fine. I can't really figure how is possible to score without GetSpawnStat() :O

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2010, 05:48:59 pm »

Pretty much, all correct. I just gotta make some testing before I can say my Script is working fine. I can't really figure how is possible to score without GetSpawnStat() :O

there'd be an external .txt file containing map names and their respective goal coordinates, and the server would just load the coords on map change. but i do think your method is better.

can i ask for a request:
can you modify your code to optionally also allow blue team to join for a 3-way match?
this would be trigged by if there are over 9 players playing, and the script would choose the next map to be a map designed for 3-teams. (perhaps even have the script pause the game 30 seconds after 9th player joins and ask for a poll if they want to switch to 3-team mode now, after match, or never).
it would be interesting to see how that plays out.  of course there can't be 4 teams, since alpha can't carry red flag...
what you think?

Offline squiddy

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • Flagger assassin
    • SoldatX
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2010, 07:33:27 pm »
Hard, but yet, possible.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2010, 12:08:34 am »
You could have 4 way soldiball by using the yellow (pointmatch, HTF) flag. Heck maybe 5 way would be possible by using team 0 (deathmatch), but by then it's just getting ridiculous.

The only problem then is creating balanced maps...
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 12:13:59 am by chutem »
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline Gizd

• Flagrunner
  • (Re)tired
    • Eat-this! community site
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2010, 12:27:34 am »
The only problem then is creating balanced maps...
You can use bs_ maps, there's only 3 of them though.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2010, 12:59:20 am »
I mean creating maps for more than two teams where each team has an even playing field.

i.e. spawning closer to flag/height advantage/number of team goals close to each other team...

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2010, 03:51:34 am »
i thought of an ingenious idea, but then i realized it's actually kinda stupid:
have one goal! whoever throws it gets the point.
except then, the entire game would take place there...
i also thought of some other, more balanced solutions, except they're more complicated - and no one likes that.
so let's just stick to 2-player soldiball!
bah screw that. let's get a server out with soldiball!

Offline Swompie

• Camper
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2010, 02:40:02 pm »
I will go on and make more version of soccer, if you wanna call it so.
I already though of a 3-team one, it will be quite funny, 5 teams will be easily possible with the option which makes all players of one team have the same skin, head, hair, ect colors ;p (only turned on because of deathmatch players don't have a teamcolored-shirt)

I will post the script today with explaination how the goals work
Nvm, totally forgot it ;p

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2010, 05:54:41 pm »
I just got an idea... since you plan on making different versions of this mod, consider this:

A 0-gravity variation of soldiball, where players would move around using weapons with negative recoil (fists can be used for that, so that there are no annoying shooting sounds each time anyone moves). Players could move with higher speed and maps could be made larger.

Perhaps several different versions could be made into a single mod, and then switch between each other every few rounds, like in Bombski's multimode.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 10:47:11 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2010, 10:45:18 pm »
god damn this is fun.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2010, 10:47:17 pm »
I just got an idea... since you plan on making different versions of this mod, consider this:

A 0-gravity variation of soldiball, where players would move around using weapons with negative recoil (fists can be used for that, so that there are no annoying shooting sounds each time anyone moves). Players could move with higher speed and maps could be made larger.

Perhaps several different versions could be made into a single mod, and then switch between each other every few rounds, like on like Bombski's multimode.
Zero gravity sounds awesome!

Someone get an australian server running this.

Offline Beanjo

• Major(1)
  • :]
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2010, 12:12:30 am »
i thought of an ingenious idea, but then i realized it's actually kinda stupid:
have one goal! whoever throws it gets the point.
except then, the entire game would take place there...
i also thought of some other, more balanced solutions, except they're more complicated - and no one likes that.
so let's just stick to 2-player soldiball!
bah screw that. let's get a server out with soldiball!

Maybe you missed this post, but there is a server running Soldiball again.

I don't think the script has been touched since 2007, but with our revived interest in the mod, we've been thinking of a few additions.  We have two specifically in mind at the moment that will most likely be added to the script in the near future:

• More precise timers for the hold flag, with tenths of a second visible to the player.
  • A way to handle ties via overtime, sudden death, or shootout.  We've been tossing around the idea for a while, but haven't determined the best approach to take.  We do know that no one likes a tie, though.

Since its conception we've also been playing around with different ideas, regarding weapons (weapon mods, weapons for certain set positions, etc.), multiple goal zones, more teams, and... I'm sure there are more that I can't remember.  In the end, we like it how it is—simple and team-focused. Plus, we're lazy (especially in terms of making maps for any drastic variation).

It's great that people more interested in scripting new additions are taking the initiative.  If anyone wants to make a map, we definitely could use some new ones.
hi