Author Topic: -WORK IN PROGRESS- Sonsukka 3D Model  (Read 2641 times)

Offline [SIRS]Foxconn^^2012

• Soldier
-WORK IN PROGRESS- Sonsukka 3D Model
« on: July 03, 2010, 01:35:20 pm »
I got 3Ds Max 09 and you know what? My first aim now is making smiluu's model for Garry's Mod. Player model and Scripted NPC Model. Just putting different anims. Overall work will took me some months or something. I am total newbie at 3Ds Max 09 and i would need some advice in modeling. Whole work would make all smiluu's fans just...extremely happy XD.

Here is the concept sketch that i made in thirty minutes. Smiluu approved this, what will you do? (Remember, it's a concept sketch, not a final sketch)

Now wish me good luck and post some exemplary feedback and some advices, but please, dont put here any advice dogs pictures. Oh wait, you can, because it's still an advice ;]

FOXCONN, ESPADON AND jrgp PLAYERMODELS AND SNPCS WILL BE SOON!

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
Re: -WORK IN PROGRESS- Sonsukka 3D Model
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 01:39:51 pm »
I would rather keep my eyes than watch the abomination which you will make.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline VinceBros

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 03:25:59 pm »
For the first time ever, i comment what you do and i could have done better when i was like 5.. Maybe you are 5 idk..

Offline [SIRS]Foxconn^^2012

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 03:43:54 pm »
This thread is not designed to be trolled and to post like an asshole.

Offline Centurion

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 04:13:24 pm »
boring.

Offline -Skykanden-

• Flamebow Warrior
  • Hallowed be my name
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 04:25:21 pm »
If you are a newbie on 3d don't make something that complex, make first a table, a chair and so.
There are great tutorials on the internet if not get a book named '3ds Max 2010' it is really helpfull

Offline VinceBros

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 05:56:48 pm »
I didn't troll man. I just took a look at all your drawings, but eh, maybe you'll be good at 3D's !

Offline Toumaz

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 06:28:20 pm »
you will probably want to use something like zbrush or mudbox to sculpt out your main character instead of doing it all in 3ds -- not using sculpting for characters is generally a pain in my experience

probably need to look up what kind of skeletons the general source model animations requires as well and read up on joints and stuff; i couldn't quite suss out if you wanted to reuse existing gmod animations or create your own (not that i know exactly how gmod/source handles animation formats)

do you want/require normal maps? specular maps? how much experience do you have working with 3d programs? image editing programs?

seriously like skykanden says begin with a table and learn the grips of the 3ds interface, then do something like a fruit bowl atop said table - the 3ds documentation offers some fairly solid tutorials IIRC

bottom line, beginning with something as advanced as character modeling right off the bat will result in nothing but shooting yourself in the foot, but i seriously hope you didn't expect to be able to do that either

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 06:58:48 pm »
Uh.. first of all, the "sketch" (the proper term for this would be "orthographic drawing" though) is pointless, because the drawings don't align. If you want to use those drawings to help you get the model right - they have to align. You'll need a top-view drawing as well.

I see how you're all excited about making a smiluu model and I hate to burst your bubble, but if you've never modeled before - you'll probably get lost and fail miserably, get disappointed in yourself, give up on modeling and art forever and become a plumber for the rest of your life. Ahem...
So yeah, like everyone here says: start with the basics.

You could also try a program called Sculptris, which is a very simplified version of ZBrush, but I don't know how to shade and rig a model there, and I don't know if it'll even be compatible with GMod. :S 3DS Max would probably be more reliable in that way.

For future reference: creating a skeleton for a model is called "rigging".

« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 07:10:07 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Stuffy

• Soldier
  • Very stuffy.
    • Climb-Zone Forum
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 07:22:59 pm »
the main problem with 3ds max and GMod is that GMod uses the mdl-format, which you get by compiling smd's. 3ds Max cant do this. So you need a compiler or a plugin for max-script. And there are some quite complex things, such as the files with the informations how the textures interact with the model, the lighning informations etc.

Take a look on this site, some good modding tools are there.
http://chaosincarnate.net/cannonfodder/cftools.htm
The truth is out there? Does anyone know the URL?
The URL is here

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 07:31:36 pm »
Guys, op is foxconn.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 08:23:04 pm »
I'm quite sure you can sculptate in 3ds max, but yes... as everyone says... you can't start with a 3d model, you gotta learn the basics and work your way up. it's gonna take quite awhile.......