Author Topic: SOLDIBALL  (Read 6634 times)

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
Re: SOLDIBALL
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2010, 03:02:52 am »
thnx beanjo didn't see that*
well, i do have some free time around now since it's summer...
how are you planning on getting 10th second timer? bot+spawnbullet? thread+sleep?
maybe wait for updating until 270 comes out. it looks like it will have awesome goodies for us (if it ever comes out).

---
i see you also lowered the hold-time to 2-3 seconds - i think that's for the better. imo, i don't think it's a big deal that the timer isn't consistent - at least it's accurate!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 03:42:43 am by zyxstand »
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2010, 04:28:05 am »
well, some maps are just redicolus tho... you can take flag as it spawns, prone fly and score a goal with next to no possebilities to stop stopped.

Offline Swompie

• Camper
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2010, 06:54:22 am »
well, some maps are just redicolus tho... you can take flag as it spawns, prone fly and score a goal with next to no possebilities to stop stopped.
Yea, that's one of the main problems, a good team can easily score each ~10 seconds if they know how and play against newbies.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2010, 12:27:53 am »
The problem is that it turns into a race to the flag, then everyone would just sit where it spawns and it would turn into a game of luck.
-Note I haven't actually played this mode properly.

And then I realise you could defend the goal by flying in front of it.

However I still think bigger maps would be much better, and maybe multiple spawn points for the flag, to randomise where it spawns, obviously it would be limited to different vertical heights, otherwise it would create unbalanced play.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2010, 02:03:24 am »
The problem is that it turns into a race to the flag, then everyone would just sit where it spawns and it would turn into a game of luck.
-Note I haven't actually played this mode properly.

And then I realise you could defend the goal by flying in front of it.

However I still think bigger maps would be much better, and maybe multiple spawn points for the flag, to randomise where it spawns, obviously it would be limited to different vertical heights, otherwise it would create unbalanced play.

To address your opinions:
big map is not more fun. i can see big maps only for large players. the main problem with big maps is that when a team has momentum, it just drags on too much going from one place to another. and after scoring it's a huge hassle going back. similar to how games in ctf_ash are much more intense than on b2b or run - lots of fast action.
and flag spawning is stupid cuz then you're not helping much defensively (or offensively)...

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2010, 12:21:59 am »
I see what you mean with map size, my idea was just to make it a little bigger, so that one person can not possibly score themselves upon picking up the respawned flag.

Another suggestion would be to respawn players after each goal, similar to another sporty subgamemode called knife basketball that worked well (it was pretty much exactly the same, exept the map was flat, and you had to get the knife into a "basket").

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2010, 05:28:35 pm »
I see what you mean with map size, my idea was just to make it a little bigger, so that one person can not possibly score themselves upon picking up the respawned flag.

Another suggestion would be to respawn players after each goal, similar to another sporty subgamemode called knife basketball that worked well (it was pretty much exactly the same, exept the map was flat, and you had to get the knife into a "basket").
I agree that maps should be made bigger. :S There already are some nice medium-sized ones, but those tiny ones like uniball should be remade.

But I'm against the idea of respawns - lack of respawns is what keeps the flow of the game fast and constant, without any interruptions. I think it should stay that way. :/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 05:31:40 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline CheeSeMan.

• Flagrunner
  • WOOT SLIPPERY PICKLES
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2010, 12:57:18 pm »
its pretty awesome when everyone knows what they are doing, however ye certain maps you can score alone also, theres one map where its impossible to save the goal no matter what...
Banana Banging since summer 2008!     
cB. Cheeky Bananas                
#CheekyB.Soldat

Offline Swompie

• Camper
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2010, 11:49:40 am »
I've finished my script so far, all I would need is someone who's willing to host it ;p

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2010, 01:11:39 pm »
wouldn't this game have a problem with the power flagthrow?
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline Swompie

• Camper
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2010, 01:50:12 pm »
I don't think, not many people know it or atleast they can't really use it ;p

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2010, 04:02:49 pm »
I don't think, not many people know it or atleast they can't really use it ;p
Yeah, I didn't know about it until now. :S
But even so, you can't really control power throw, so it becomes all about luck. But luck alone won't help you win, especially in Soldiball.

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2010, 05:31:47 pm »
The map I played on had too many obstructions to be able to use the power throw effectively.

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2010, 06:23:51 pm »
The map I played on had too many obstructions to be able to use the power throw effectively.
ahh ok. MAYBE they thought about power flagthrow
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2010, 09:42:28 pm »
Come to think of it, power throw isn't very effective in wide, low roofed room, which renders it useless in most maps.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2010, 02:01:15 am »
neither is power throw reliable.

Offline Swompie

• Camper
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2010, 12:53:05 pm »
So just added a fat "Pass from playerA to playerB" message ;f Still searching someone who wants to host it ;3

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2010, 01:16:20 pm »
Hey Swompie, I was playing the current version, and they have messages for passing, scoring, holding too long in the console for everyone to see. I noticed a problem was that they're all the same color. Could you perhaps color coordinate your messages better? and of course have "GOAL" flash somehow on the screen upon scoring...

Offline Swompie

• Camper
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2010, 01:24:48 pm »
Gonna add that goal message too if ya want ;p
Also I know they have thousands of messages, but I'm only adding important stuff because in the original script it's just spamming the console imo.