Author Topic: Disabling scenery modification on main maps?  (Read 1286 times)

Offline kvachu

• Major
  • Soldat Forever...
Disabling scenery modification on main maps?
« on: July 20, 2010, 12:13:49 pm »
I'm sure that this was talked already somewhere, but can't remember where. Well, look at this:

My question is, if this is gona be fixed? I mean if in future versions scenery modyfications will be disabled? Nobody will prove to anyone that we have such a sceneries.
For example SCTFL have this rule:
* Soldat modifications (mods) are generally permissible, but there are some exceptions. A mod which provides an advantage to its user is allowed only as long as the same mod does not directly inhibit an opponent. For example, altering the color or size of grenades/bullets or changing the textures of maps is legal, but altering the size of weapons/gosteks, deleting scenery or making scenery invisible, or adding healthbars above gosteks is disallowed because those mods would directly inhibit an enemy by preventing that player from hiding. If you are unsure if a mod is legal, it is your responsibility to consult the administrators before using it.

But there's no way to prove that entire clan use invisible sceneries.
Will this be fixed?

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
Re: Disabling scenery modification on main maps?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 12:29:31 pm »
heh, don't say that ;o. one clan got kicked out of play offs for 1 player missing 1 scenery.
in SCTFL only 1 person is needed, but there's no way to prove somebody guilty (if he never reports) unless you have reasons to accuse him/her for it, since everyone must take a screenshot for every map.

Offline kvachu

• Major
  • Soldat Forever...
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 01:06:43 pm »
Do not worry, I don't play like that in official cws. This is just for testing how much it gives me advantage, and I realized that it's huge advantage. I was just curious because sometimes when I played (with normal sceneries) and I was camping behing scenery and some dudes were rushing in base or in the place where I was camping and instantly noticed me and killed me. I couldn't believe that he spoted me so easly and when I did those sceneries I realized how easy it is.

@-Major-
Entire clan can have this and everyone can report. All they need to do is to install another soldat with original sceneries and put there demos at last with 10 last seconds of the game. Now run the demos there and shot the screen. That why i'm saying that there's no way to prove that someone is using such a modded scenery. If someone camp and we have original graphics and we saw him hidding there and kill him instantly he'll accuse us of using modded sceneries. Also we do not have to see him, but our teammate can and can tell us via mumble, ts, ventrilo that hi is hidding there and still we can be accused, but still no way for real proof.
That's why I'm asking, if this is gona be fixed?

At last there could be a server option of using only sceneries from server, and before joining the game whole map should be downloaded and  overwriten.

And don't get me wrong people, I'm not using this on normal games. I used in only for test. I'm 26 old and cheating don't give me satisfaction. I just want to point THIS out because I was really pissed off when I was killed like this.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 01:09:00 pm by kvachu »

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 03:33:37 pm »
its fixed in 1.5.1

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 03:42:55 pm »
I'm not too happy about modded weps/nades/textures being allowed too, but invisible sceneries are the worst.

its fixed in 1.5.1
How exactly is it fixed? (Too lazy to search through changelogs and forum posts)

Offline kvachu

• Major
  • Soldat Forever...
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 04:24:23 pm »
I can't see this too.

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 04:30:43 pm »
Code: [Select]
- Fixed editing a maps background colours and not getting kicked for wrong map version.
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 05:08:15 pm »
Code: [Select]
- Fixed editing a maps background colours and not getting kicked for wrong map version.

This has nothing to do with modifying sceneries.

Offline -Major-

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 09:05:50 pm »
how do you know you were killed like this? and I dunno how it's supposed to be fixed... unless you create a checksum from the original images and then the server matches them or something...

DarkCrusade

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 09:31:00 pm »
I notice someone's either hacking or getting an unfair advantage in an other way when I hide in a box that covers me completly but I still get raped. Sure.. you could say I used my mouse cursor but that'd be too much of aimbot, hu?

Offline zyxstand

• Veteran
  • Mother of all Bombs
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 10:10:53 pm »
I notice someone's either hacking or getting an unfair advantage in an other way when I hide in a box that covers me completly but I still get raped. Sure.. you could say I used my mouse cursor but that'd be too much of aimbot, hu?

note few things: ppl can tell if there's a single pixel visible of you. also, most ppl play with polygon edge turned on. i play with edge turned off (cuz my comp's slow), and i noticed that some scenery isn't fully flush with the polygon, resulting in a very thin line between them where you can see someone's clothes.
Can't think of anything original to put here...

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 03:11:07 am »
maps/sceneries/textures are if I understood it right checksumed now and if you have the wrong checksum you get the wrong map version error.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline kvachu

• Major
  • Soldat Forever...
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 09:00:09 am »
Well, it should be in changelog, because it's great news.