Author Topic: Custom flags?  (Read 3453 times)

Offline CrayAB

• Soldier
Custom flags?
« on: September 21, 2010, 10:58:13 pm »
Is it possible to add text to the flags in CTF? I tried messing with the flag file in textures/objects/ but all I could do was add color. I made it completely yellow, for example, and it turned the red flag orange and the blue flag green. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
Re: Custom flags?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 11:30:45 pm »
The game would apply a RGB value to the original texture depending on the circumstance.

Alpha its adds pure red (FF0000), Bravo it adds pure blue (0000FF) etc
If the original image is black&white (000000 || FFFFFF), then the result would be a red flag or a blue flag.
Since you made it yellow (FFFF00), adding red made it orange, and adding blue made it green. Im sure it makes sense by now :P

So basically, you have little control over what colour you want your flag to be unless you know your colour wheel and can force the result you want.

If changing the texture of the image itself does nothing ingame, then I find that weird (unless of course the RGB filter removes certain details since it would be removing colours by applying a new colour).
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

DarkCrusade

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 02:56:35 pm »
There is some sort of 3D-effect of a waving flag when you move. Simple lines of pixels are moved around to create an illusion of something 3D-ish. Obviously this makes modding the flag impossible. Contrary to that, the colours are moddable, just like KYnetiK explained it already.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 05:31:32 pm »
There is some sort of 3D-effect of a waving flag when you move. Simple lines of pixels are moved around to create an illusion of something 3D-ish. Obviously this makes modding the flag impossible. Contrary to that, the colours are moddable, just like KYnetiK explained it already.
Uh, I believe it actually is 3D. If you look closely at how it moves - you'll notice that it's just 2 physics-affected polys that make up a rectangle.

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 10:21:02 am »
Obviously this makes modding the flag impossible.
I don't follow. Should work as long as the dimensions are the same, right?

DarkCrusade

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 11:16:43 am »
As I tried explaining there is no sprite for the flag that you could change. It's hardcoded.

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2010, 08:30:23 am »
Huh, I guess you're right. I thought for sure there was one, but I'm not actually sure what Objects-gfx/flag-2.bmp is.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 03:24:27 pm »
Huh, I guess you're right. I thought for sure there was one, but I'm not actually sure what Objects-gfx/flag-2.bmp is.
Maybe it's one of those leftovers from older versions or features that were planned but never added. There are a few other graphics like these in Soldat folders.

Oh wait. I think flag-2 is the flag icons on the mini-scoreboard (should be moved to interface-gfx then IMO :S).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 03:27:41 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Espadon

• Global Moderator
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • GO BEAT CRAZY
    • Tabnir at deviantART
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 03:36:29 pm »
Oh wait. I think flag-2 is the flag icons on the mini-scoreboard (should be moved to interface-gfx then IMO :S).

No it isn't.

I haven't seen objects-gfx/flag-2.bmp affecting anything.
CRYSO | HLT                        

CRY0 | NAN0 2.1 | 0MEN 1.0 | PYR0 1.1M | B0RG 1.0

Offline Serial K!ller

• Camper
    • Soldat Mods Archive
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 04:42:16 am »
There is some sort of 3D-effect of a waving flag when you move. Simple lines of pixels are moved around to create an illusion of something 3D-ish. Obviously this makes modding the flag impossible.

Actually modifying Textures\Objects\flag.bmp works but only on the yellow flag in pointmatch.

Offline Zero72

• Flagrunner
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 02:51:53 pm »
Actually modifying Textures\Objects\flag.bmp works but only on the yellow flag in pointmatch.
That's the one I was thinking of. Never tried to change it myself, though.