Author Topic: Background Color override  (Read 1708 times)

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
Background Color override
« on: May 11, 2010, 05:53:31 am »
As a mapper its hard to find a good bgcolor of a map that will work for most ppl as ppl use a wide range of monitors and what is an apropriate bg color for one person might sting in the eye for another or be to dark for a third. so what I suggest is haveing an option to override the background color set by the map if, the player wants, preferable being able to set those two colors as well.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline mar77a

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • mad
    • random stuffs
Re: Background Color override
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 06:01:47 am »
I think it's fine the way it is in 1.5, how you can just change em with mapmaker or w/e modifying your maps locally.

Someone please explain

- Fixed editing a maps background colours and not getting kicked for wrong map version.

why was this "fixed"?

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 06:29:45 am »
I think it's fine the way it is in 1.5, how you can just change em with mapmaker or w/e modifying your maps locally.

Someone please explain

- Fixed editing a maps background colours and not getting kicked for wrong map version.

why was this "fixed"?
there was basically a bug in the wrong map version error. it only checked id in the map if it was different. meaning you could edit the map however you wished without getting kicked for wrong map version as long as you kept the id intact.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline EnEsCe

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Flamebow Warrior
  • http://enesce.com/
    • [eC] Official Website
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 09:34:24 am »
why was this "fixed"?
Can't remember exactly who it was since it was quite some time ago, but someone was complaining about people abusing this to gain an unfair advantage over others on certain maps. Regardless, it was never intended to be that way, thus a bug.

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 09:59:36 am »
so what I suggest is haveing an option to override the background color set by the map if, the player wants, preferable being able to set those two colors as well.

Jo. Having different colour is allowed in SCTFL and I have never thought it gives one an unfair advantage.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 02:59:50 pm »
If the background is too dark for some people - then it really is too dark. If it's too bright - then it's too bright.

Monitors aren't the problem - even with different monitors things should look fine unless:
A) A player set his brightness to maximum/minimum and refuses to decrease/increase it for some weird reason.
B) Soldat's gamma value is too high/too low.
C) A map (and many other things you see on screen, like pictures) doesn't have enough contrast, which would the the fault of a mapper/artist/author of whatever.

Overriding the background color is just making a player do the mapper's job.

Besides, think of how many players already mod their bullets, grenades and other graphics to make them easier to see. I think that's much more of an advantage than changing map's background color.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 03:08:00 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 12:32:22 pm »
I'd like to bring this topic up because the people in charge have changed.

I fully support zakath's idea of giving players the choice as it's nearly impossible to please everyone.

-- someone was complaining about people abusing this to gain an unfair advantage over others on certain maps.

As for this issue, I like the policy of SCTFL:
A mod which provides an advantage to its user is allowed only as long as the same mod does not directly inhibit an opponent. For example, altering the color of grenades/bullets or changing the textures of maps is legal, but altering the size of weapons/gosteks, deleting scenery or making scenery invisible, or adding healthbars above gosteks is disallowed because those mods would directly inhibit an enemy by preventing that player from hiding.

Changing the background doesn't give you such advantage. I've used a dark blue background in every map for a while now and I still do rather poorly ingame. It's only a matter of preferences.

However, disabling the ability to change the colours - unlike Loner said - can make things unfair for some. I have played with a bad monitor and I can say that there is a difference between a decent monitor and an old screen.