Author Topic: Soldat now and tomorrow  (Read 63700 times)

Offline dnmr

• Camper
  • emotionally handicapped
Re: Soldat now and tomorrow
« Reply #180 on: November 19, 2010, 02:38:57 am »
I'll never understand hackers and cheaters, especially in Soldat.

-You're lucky if you can get on a server with lots of people playing.
-If you're playing Soldat vs. all of the other games that you could play and cheat in... why Soldat? If you play Soldat, obviously, you like it because it's an awesome game... so why ruin an awesome experience by being a douchebag? There just aren't enough other people or hackers that you could possibly impress (if you could even)... all you do is annoy the hell out of anyone who is trying to enjoy a good game. To think that, even now after all this time, of the few truly dedicated fans of the game that cheaters are still a plague to servers.

I like Soldat because it's hard and it's fun to pwn even with moderate skills, because every so often I pull some awesome moves and survive a barrage of gunfire or get a sweet knife kill. If you had an aim-bot... why bother having fun and pulling awesome maneuvers? All you would be doing is running/flying around hitting the mouse button and racking up kills. I don't get it.

Maybe that's it. Don't count kills anymore and maybe no one would bother cheating . Really, who cares who kills more than another, if the game isn't DM. If it's CTF (for instance), only flag count matters.

It would be a cool experiment to try... for real. If it was possible, have a server where kills weren't counted.. no matter what, not even in the server logs. See if people would just get on, play and have fun... as that is the purpose of a game: FUN.
Welcome to the Life.
Hint of the day: this world is full of idiots who tend to do unexplainable things.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #181 on: November 19, 2010, 11:07:41 am »
I'll never understand hackers and cheaters, especially in Soldat.
Because it's a whole new way to experience the old game - to teleport around, be invincible, and have other features that other players don't have. Makes you feel special, and makes the game feel a lot different. Winning, skills - all that doesn't matter anymore. Ruining the game, trolling and being the center of attention; being one against the world and then going out with a bang - how can't that be fun?

At least I think this is how I would've felt if I actually enjoyed ruining other people's fun.

-----

Doing all that just to be first on the scoreboard... Simple minds - simple pleasures.
Welcome to the Life.
Hint of the day: this world is full of idiots who tend to do unexplainable things.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 11:16:17 am by L[0ne]R »

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #182 on: November 19, 2010, 11:09:56 pm »
all you do is annoy the hell out of anyone who is trying to enjoy a good game.
believe it or not, but some people have fun doing this.
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2010, 12:16:49 am »
@Snow: Actually you could set each player's score to 0 after he killed someone by scripting. If you know how to use it, code below:

Code: [Select]
var
  Reset: array[1..32] of byte;

procedure OnPlayerKill(Killer,Victim:Byte; Weapon:String);
begin
  Reset[Killer] := true;
end;

procedure AppOnIdle(ticks:integer);
var i:byte;
begin
  for i:= 1 to 32 do if (GetPlayerStat(i,'Active')=true) and (Reset[i]) then begin
    Reset[i] := false;
    SetScore(i,0);
  end;
end;

I didn't test it, but it should work ;)

Offline Snow

• Camper
« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2010, 02:23:39 am »
@Snow: Actually you could set each player's score to 0 after he killed someone by scripting. If you know how to use it, code below:

Code: [Select]
var
  Reset: array[1..32] of byte;

procedure OnPlayerKill(Killer,Victim:Byte; Weapon:String);
begin
  Reset[Killer] := true;
end;

procedure AppOnIdle(ticks:integer);
var i:byte;
begin
  for i:= 1 to 32 do if (GetPlayerStat(i,'Active')=true) and (Reset[i]) then begin
    Reset[i] := false;
    SetScore(i,0);
  end;
end;

I didn't test it, but it should work ;)

Ha. That is cool. I didn't think it was possible... then again I've never done any server scripting, but for me, it's easy to learn. Plus, that's pretty simple. I'll see what happens in December or next year. I've been itching to set up one or 2 pubs. Because I'm so close our southern cousins, I'm sure I'd be in a good area for many western players.

If I can set up a CTF pub, I'll use this script. Like I said before, CTF should be about the flag only. At the moment... not to criticize MM's creation, but the reason that no one ever plays any of the other game modes (other than INF) is because CTF is basically a more advanced form of deathmatch and team deathmatch really. You're trying to get as many kills while capping a flag as well. Take kill count out of CTF and perhaps the other modes might see some love again. It's just an observation at the moment. Obviously many would disagree with me and that's fine. I still would love to test this or see this tested.
"Evil will always triumph, because Good is dumb." - Dark Helmet

DarkCrusade

« Reply #185 on: November 20, 2010, 03:16:34 am »
Those spawning and fragging guys you are talking about are probably 12 year old boys who are yet to grow a large e-penis, so simply ignore them. Same for hackers: If one joins and messes around with anything-mass just go bonkers and vote him out, or even better, call an admin. Sure, this sounds like a bad solution, but what do zou want to do if not that? Quit? Hell, if you quit because of some stupid guys you only pretend to love Soldat the way you are stating it.

I think I have a partially working anti-hack script lying around somewhere. If I remove the messy mass-kill part it'll detect damage-hacks, speed-hacks, mass flag and more and will automatically ban the hacker. You'll have to deal with mass-killing and aimbotting, but I think that's the lesser evil, right? :P I'll definetly look for it

Offline Dusty

• Veteran
« Reply #186 on: November 20, 2010, 08:29:58 am »
Those spawning and fragging guys you are talking about are probably 12 year old boys who are yet to grow a large e-penis

Spawnkilling (laming in general) and the stupid arguments of the people who get killed are the joy of public Soldat games. If those people spent the time on thinking what they could do better instead of crying over a poor camper, they would beat him in no time. Unfortunately this will never change and everyone has to play how the worst player wants them to. OR ELSE KICKBAN!!111111

Offline Clawbug

• Veteran
  • 1184!
« Reply #187 on: November 20, 2010, 09:44:46 am »
Those spawning and fragging guys you are talking about are probably 12 year old boys who are yet to grow a large e-penis

Spawnkilling (laming in general) and the stupid arguments of the people who get killed are the joy of public Soldat games. If those people spent the time on thinking what they could do better instead of crying over a poor camper, they would beat him in no time. Unfortunately this will never change and everyone has to play how the worst player wants them to. OR ELSE KICKBAN!!111111

This.

Nothing is better than camping in the bushes and hunting the worst players on the server. The good ones won't bother to whine so it's useless. But the worst ones.. They're hilarious.
Fight! Win! Prevail!

Offline Vtg

• Major(1)
« Reply #188 on: November 20, 2010, 11:53:24 am »
OMFGZ what's bad in camping? Everyone likes something else, I like hunting, hiding in the bushes with a barrett on leo's, someone else might want to grab a flag. From my point of view, grabbing flag on a public server makes no sense as well, so stop stupid argument (or create a new thread).

DarkCrusade

« Reply #189 on: November 20, 2010, 12:15:34 pm »
As long as a player doesn't spawnkill excessively - because it's sometimes necessary - I don't mind camping or hiding. Different people, different playing styles; that's why Soldat is still interesting. If everyone was just rushing rushing rushing capping capping capping Soldat would already be dead, so be a bit happy about all the annoying kids out there ;)

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • The world isn't nice. Why should I be...?
« Reply #190 on: November 20, 2010, 02:29:14 pm »
OK I'm glad we had this talk :).

I'm currently biased with what FliesLikeABrick wrote:

I would choose something like this - not open sourcing it but not being super-selective on who can work on it.  There are a number of people in the community who are very capable developers.  I would say that community members who are known for being strong developers and trustworthy be given subversion access as long as they work together to accomplish the same goals.  That way then can then commit together.

We can try that and later on depending on the results decide to open-source it or not. I'll have a word with people interested in being a dev and let you know what's next.
Let's create a group of programmers [some new (I'd like to make a project of new interface) and people taken from openSoldat], this team won't to make Soldat 1.5.1, it is time to create new Soldat2! New code: profiles, clans, irc, gather and community support, real FullHD quality of video and much more... Premium Accounts are necessary, too...

DarkCrusade

« Reply #191 on: November 20, 2010, 03:02:14 pm »
What do we have to talk about then? Work's calling!

Seriously

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #192 on: November 20, 2010, 03:22:59 pm »
What do we have to talk about then? Work's calling!

Seriously
Ok, I'll start making a interface project in my Inkscape/GIMP, just a sketch, than we will decide, what's good and what should we fuck out... :D But the biggest problem is a system of "lvl'ing"... Got names of ranks but i still haven't got good idea how to gives a exp-points...

DarkCrusade

« Reply #193 on: November 20, 2010, 03:49:35 pm »
Sorry, I was being a sarcastical fool. What I was trying to explain was that you cannot just create a game just like that. Especially big ones like Soldat.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #194 on: November 20, 2010, 04:15:55 pm »
Let's create a group of programmers [some new (I'd like to make a project of new interface) and people taken from openSoldat], this team won't to make Soldat 1.5.1, it is time to create new Soldat2! New code: profiles, clans, irc, gather and community support, real FullHD quality of video and much more... Premium Accounts are necessary, too...
first of all - sorry, but what you're talking about is not even remotely close to Soldat2.

second - It's like like DC said:
you cannot just create a game just like that

Offline machina

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
« Reply #195 on: November 20, 2010, 05:14:46 pm »
Yes, I know, but standing and do nothin' won't get you closer to Soldat2...

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #196 on: November 20, 2010, 05:30:21 pm »
Yes, I know, but standing and do nothin' won't get you closer to Soldat2...
That's true, but we've already tried to create something from scratch (openSoldat) and none of us had enough experience to pull off something like that just yet.

And in order to do something about Soldat we have right now - we need MM to decide who should develop it and give the source code to the new developers. And as you can see for yourself - MM is taking his time, so all we can do is wait.

(I wonder which'll be first - new dev team, or another rage thread...)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 05:32:16 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline dnmr

• Camper
  • emotionally handicapped
« Reply #197 on: November 20, 2010, 06:43:37 pm »
(I wonder which'll be first - new dev team, or another rage thread...)
definitely rage. Lots of it

Offline Meteorisch

• Soldier
« Reply #198 on: November 20, 2010, 07:32:13 pm »
he sure needs time to speak to people.

gosh this is outrageous
www.idunwantanpage.com
Clicking this increases your IQ oh wait.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2010, 09:19:26 am »
Cmon guys...we EnEsCe has completed some critical development...MM needs someone to finish it off. Who's up to finish EnEsCe's useless job?
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!