Author Topic: DM_Circle  (Read 2232 times)

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
DM_Circle
« on: October 29, 2010, 12:00:28 pm »
Circle
By Monster

Tiny DM map, I think it's for DM best to 3 ppl. Can be played too in TM, Rainbow, and HTF. I think there are a bit nice looks, but you get more information for picture. Has waypoints.

(^Click To Enlarge^)

Download / Rate on TMS

See more maps by Monster

Hosted by jrgp's Soldat Mapping Showcase.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline Dr.DR4IG

• Major
  • Polybugger off, I'm mapping! D:
Re: DM_Circle
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 02:50:12 pm »
 Interesting idea using the Metroid pipe segments for barrels..
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
WARNING: This thread may contain nuts!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

- LIST OF MY MAPS ON TMS -

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 03:27:01 pm »
Haven't played the map, but I'll still post my opinion. :P

First of all, one of the main rules of Soldat mapping: if something is walkable/collidable - it should be obvious that it's walkable/collideable. Those things may seem obvious to you since you made this map, but other players will have lots of trouble figuring out what's part of the map, and what's just background eye-candy.
You seem to remember that, so not so bad with your map, but I think it could still use a bit more clarity. Like the stack of barrels behind the big barrel - it can be rather distracting.

As for layout - it's kind of boring. :/ Especially the bottom part. That barrel isn't really useful as cover, since it's easy to just fly a little higher and shoot whoever's hiding behind it. Other than barrel, there's nothing in the bottom half that provides any tactical advantage.

The top part... can't really describe whats wrong with it, but it's just.. wrong. When I picture myself playing in that area - I can't imagine myself finding any good spots to snipe/hide/shield myself from fire/make fancy ricochet kills. The different spots simply don't work well together - they're just randomly mashed into the map.

I do like the atmosphere and sceneries though. They create a nice atmosphere (except the ruined building on top route, which looks really out of place).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 03:30:47 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 03:30:30 am »
Thanks for your replies. 
Interesting idea using the Metroid pipe segments for barrels..
If you mean those trash of barrels, they're from CTF_Keen actually. :)
As for layout - it's kind of boring
Yeah, I know... I'm trying to make there some islands which fit with the background. First the Layout offered more cover, but It looked ugly.

Very ugly. ?\|/(look the attachment) I fighted a lot between layout, and eyecandy.. I know  that of course layout is more important, than background. 

And ye, thats true that it can be little hard to move in the map first, but after playing two minutes, ppl know what is part of the map and what's background. And you may have not seen from that picture, that ruined buildings walkable part is little bit brown. That's weird too, but I had no time to make it better yesterday, because I have Child control (#!/&¤¤#%+##!) in my computer, oh, I HATE IT! But of course it could be more obvious, and there should be more islands, too. I'm working on it.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 05:24:55 pm »
Looks just like my grandma! :D

But I actually like it much more layout-wise. I'd say, stick to this layout, just make it look more serious. You could move the eyes closer to the edges of the room and make them less circular. You could make the mouth to be a roof of a small shack, and the nose could be a weirdly-shaped water tower or something.
Layout > looks, but you can have both if you just use your imagination. :P

And spread out those islands a tiny bit, so that there's more space between them.

Also I suggest you tone down some of the background sceneries to separate them from foreground. You shouldn't force players to find out such things on their own. Imagine your map being hosted on a server - there will always be new players who play on your map for the first time. So there will always be people who are "learning" - bumping into walls and LAWing themselves on colliders.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 07:14:29 am »
First one looks better in terms of design. Second one looks like it would have a better gameplay. You have cramped too much props into the map.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!

Offline Monsteri

• Artist
  • Flagrunner
  • Strange thing
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 10:04:21 am »
Working on it.. thanks.
Sorry if I'm insolent.

Offline scarface09

• Veteran
  • Arsenal Supporter For Life
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 02:47:02 am »
Np.
Football is the other face of the world. If you don't like it, then you can get the hell out!