Author Topic: Unveiling The Official Soldat Web Gather  (Read 55588 times)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Re: Unveiling The Official Soldat Web Gather
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2010, 06:17:45 pm »
Don't forget leaving without getting a sub, excessive pausing, hacking, nick stealing, and not playing seriously.
"Not playing seriously" is something for players to decide, I think. They can just votekick that player if he's that troublesome.

hmm okay maybe a "strikes" system, where if a player doesn't join 3 times in a row he's banned for a week?
What if he doesn't join 2 times in a row, then joins, then doesn't join again? I think it should be a little more strict (ban if player doesn't join 3 times during a single week, but not in a row. After a week of last "didn't-join" the strikes are reset)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 06:19:26 pm by L[0ne]R »

Offline filip2322

• Major
  • Gray
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2010, 07:57:02 pm »
Ok,im ready to try now. Someone for some INF?
Imperare sibi maximum imperium est

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2010, 08:00:21 pm »
Okay also, when I implement server stats, should the player stats be for all the servers together or one set of stats for each?
There are other worlds than these

Offline chutem

• Veteran
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2010, 08:10:06 pm »
for each would be better.
1NK3FbdNtH6jNH4dc1fzuvd4ruVdMQABvs

Offline filip2322

• Major
  • Gray
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2010, 08:12:04 pm »
How about three separate stats:
-CTF
-INF
-DM
Imperare sibi maximum imperium est

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2010, 09:04:18 pm »
I still don't know if gather = server, but I would do it like this:
For every category/type there should be one statistic. So we would have six different stats now, namely:
- CTF (normal)
- CTF (realistic)
- INF (normal)
- INF (realistic)
- DM (1on1)
- DM (6slot)
I would add TDM (2on2).

So if there are for example three servers of the type "CTF (normal)" they should have the same statistics. So it doesn't matter on which "CTF (normal)"-server I play, in the end I have one stats of this type one my player account.

The 6slot-DM-server will make problems if you wanna have a ladder. It's not that easy to determine who really won the gather because it's over three rounds (which I think is too much). So, does the player with the most kills in all the three rounds win? Or the one who won the most rounds? (<-- that one would suck because there could three players who all won one round) What would it actually mean if you "win" the 6slot-DM-gather? Does the first one gain some points (and the second and third also but less)? And the ladders sorts the player by points you gained in the gather? Or does it sort by how often you have won the specific gather?
Actually, should there be any "winning" in this type of gather? In any other gather there is a battle between two players (DM 1on1) or two groups of players (CTF & INF). 6slot-DM-gather is different here because everyone playes against each other. Without the "winning" it would be more like a standard public server.

So you could differ between four kinds of stats:
- player stats: shows which gathers he played, which weapons he used most, which map he played most, which position he is on every ladder, etc.
- gather stats: all the stats which belongs to this certain gather; so the players who participated, which maps were played, the standings after every map, who (player/team) won this specific gather, etc.
- server stats: contains all the stats of the gathers which were played on this specific server (not really necessary imo)
- gathertype stats: the stats for a specific gather-type; so (as said above) it would contain the stats of all the servers with that gathertype; this could actually also contain a ladder (only for 1on1 or "bloodbath"-gathertype since you would need teams/clans for any other type which would transform this whole gather into the next SCTFL which we don't want)

Stats, stats, stats... ;D
Question is if they would be interesting enough for the players but it's always nice to have.
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2010, 04:17:27 am »
Okay, *what* is a ladder?

I'll get to adding the TDM soon.

As for "gather stats" so far the players in and the date of each gather is recorded. I'll get to having it also record the maps played and other stuff too.

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2010, 04:42:41 am »
*POSSIBLE BUG* I've selected to 'stay logged in' - and now I've tried several methods to log out, and they aint working.

Ok... I've got a few thoughts generally about the Gather page and the stats thing.

There definitely should be a couple of CTF 3v3 servers(just been implemented), and have the same stats/ladder idea implemented on them.
I also agree with Illuminatus that there should be different areas for stats, it makes sense to have several areas for stats.

I would add TDM (2on2).
Some sort of 2vs2 is needed. Either TDM or CTF even.

The 6slot-DM-server will make problems if you wanna have a ladder. It's not that easy to determine who really won the gather because it's over three rounds (which I think is too much). So, does the player with the most kills in all the three rounds win? Or the one who won the most rounds? (<-- that one would suck because there could three players who all won one round) What would it actually mean if you "win" the 6slot-DM-gather? Does the first one gain some points (and the second and third also but less)? And the ladders sorts the player by points you gained in the gather? Or does it sort by how often you have won the specific gather?
Actually, should there be any "winning" in this type of gather? In any other gather there is a battle between two players (DM 1on1) or two groups of players (CTF & INF). 6slot-DM-gather is different here because everyone playes against each other. Without the "winning" it would be more like a standard public server.
When I saw the 6-player DM I did wonder why it was there, since that's what pub's are for. Though because you're implementing stats, it becomes a bit more interesting...
Three rounds of DM is definitely too much - gathers should be fairly quick, two rounds at most.

Maybe the ladder could resemble something like a sortable table - where different ways of sorting could be made on a single game mode.
Take a look at the attachment. In the 'Filter by' there could be several options, some specific to certain gather-types...
Some ideas for this: (generally speaking - so each gather type could have these applied to it)
  • Average points per game: {All points from games} / {Amount of games played}. You would probably need to set a lower limit on this to prevent it from being ridiculous - e.g. player must have played at least 5 games or something. This would make for a pretty dynamic ladder
  • Kill gain - Instead of KD ratio, perhaps more like {kills} - {deaths}, which would be the kills gained overall. After each round, this would be calculated and added to a person's tally and would be accumulative. This treats the camper that hardly kills or dies, and the kamakazi guy who kills alot but dies a fair few times differently, and fairer in my opinion.
  • *CTF Capper - People who have capped the most
  • *Ultimate CTF score - Use the Kill gain idea to get point score, then add some extra points for capping. This again could be accumulative.
  • *Survivor score - Kill streak.
  • Top scores - Simple idea for potentially all game modes. When sorting it on the 6-playerDM, 3vs3CTF and INF, it would assign points for 1st, less for 2nd and less for 3rd. For 1vs1 DM, it would simply see who won and add a single point onto their tally (this would essentially be a Most Wins leaderboard for 1vs1)
The * denotes mode-specific filters
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 05:12:03 am by thegrandmaster »
ohgodwhydidInamemyselfthis. Just call me Grandy.

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2010, 06:48:18 am »
*POSSIBLE BUG* I've selected to 'stay logged in' - and now I've tried several methods to log out, and they aint working.

Should be fixed and won't happen again. In the mean time, clear your cookies.

Ok... I've got a few thoughts generally about the Gather page and the stats thing.

There definitely should be a couple of CTF 3v3 servers(just been implemented), and have the same stats/ladder idea implemented on them.
I also agree with Illuminatus that there should be different areas for stats, it makes sense to have several areas for stats.

I would add TDM (2on2).
Some sort of 2vs2 is needed. Either TDM or CTF even.

When I saw the 6-player DM I did wonder why it was there, since that's what pub's are for. Though because you're implementing stats, it becomes a bit more interesting...
Three rounds of DM is definitely too much - gathers should be fairly quick, two rounds at most.

Maybe the ladder could resemble something like a sortable table - where different ways of sorting could be made on a single game mode.
Take a look at the attachment. In the 'Filter by' there could be several options, some specific to certain gather-types...
Some ideas for this: (generally speaking - so each gather type could have these applied to it)
  • Average points per game: {All points from games} / {Amount of games played}. You would probably need to set a lower limit on this to prevent it from being ridiculous - e.g. player must have played at least 5 games or something. This would make for a pretty dynamic ladder
  • Kill gain - Instead of KD ratio, perhaps more like {kills} - {deaths}, which would be the kills gained overall. After each round, this would be calculated and added to a person's tally and would be accumulative. This treats the camper that hardly kills or dies, and the kamakazi guy who kills alot but dies a fair few times differently, and fairer in my opinion.
  • *CTF Capper - People who have capped the most
  • *Ultimate CTF score - Use the Kill gain idea to get point score, then add some extra points for capping. This again could be accumulative.
  • *Survivor score - Kill streak.
  • Top scores - Simple idea for potentially all game modes. When sorting it on the 6-playerDM, 3vs3CTF and INF, it would assign points for 1st, less for 2nd and less for 3rd. For 1vs1 DM, it would simply see who won and add a single point onto their tally (this would essentially be a Most Wins leaderboard for 1vs1)
The * denotes mode-specific filters

That all really seems interesting, but you still haven't explained to me exactly how ladders work. I've never been part of the competitive Soldat community at all and much of the terminology kinda confuses me.

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2010, 07:24:39 am »
It is fixed - thanks.
Ah ok, I'll reword...

My thoughts are about multiple leaderboards for each gather-type.
Currently, looking at the gather page, the gather types (currently) are:
CTF 3v3,    (even though there are several servers for 3vs3 CTF, we would want them all to count to the same leaderboard category)
INF 3v3,
DM 1vs1,
DM 6-Player,
CTF 3vs3 (realistic)
and INF 3vs3 (realistic).

My idea involves each gather-type having different leaderboards to score under.

Some gather-types would have the same concepts for leaderboards (e.g. Every gather-type could have a leaderboard for who gets 1st ingame, 2nd and 3rd and assign points to players for achieving that).
However, some gather-types would need different leaderboards because they are different game-modes! 1vs1 DM would need to be treated differently to 3vs3 CTF..

UPDATE:

Take a look at the attachment. These are 3 separate league tables.
I've created theoretical ideas for leaguetables: Points (gained from winning games), and Caps.

Table 1:
Gather-type is 3vs3 CTF.
The leaderboard for this is based on points.
The example I've given is awarding 10 points for coming 1st, 7 for 2nd, and 4 for 3rd.

Table 2:
This leaderboard is also based on points, but using the results from the gather-type DM 6-Player.
Again, 10 points for 1st, 7 for 2nd and 4 for 3rd.

Table 3:
Gather-type is 3vs3 CTF again.
This leaderboard is based on data about caps.
Bob has the most caps, Bill is second.
I've added a tacky turquoise triangle on the column headings - the idea being that you could sort this table by either 'who has the highest total caps' or 'who has the most caps per game'.
And in this case, you can see that Bob actually has a lower caps per game, so he would be second and Bill would be first when ordered by average caps.

Tables 1&2: This is what I mean by having the 'same concepts'. They both calculate in the same way, but for different gather-types.

Table 3: This one is gather-type specific (as its pretty obvious that a deathmatch of any kind couldn't have a caps leaguetable!).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 08:10:45 am by thegrandmaster »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2010, 08:09:34 am »
Okay I'm starting to implement a built in webchat. It currently might be very buggy, but we'll see.

It is fixed - thanks.
Ah ok, I'll reword...

My thoughts are about multiple leaderboards for each gather-type.
Currently, looking at the gather page, the gather types (currently) are:
CTF 3v3,    (even though there are several servers for 3vs3 CTF, we would want them all to count to the same leaderboard category)
INF 3v3,
DM 1vs1,
DM 6-Player,
CTF 3vs3 (realistic)
and INF 3vs3 (realistic).

My idea involves each gather-type having different leaderboards to score under.

Some gather-types would have the same concepts for leaderboards (e.g. Every gather-type could have a leaderboard for who gets 1st ingame, 2nd and 3rd and assign points to players for achieving that).
However, some gather-types would need different leaderboards because they are different game-modes! 1vs1 DM would need to be treated differently to 3vs3 CTF..

Thanks for the info

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2010, 08:12:04 am »
Ah yea I see... a box has appeared.
Check my update ^ hopefully a bit clearer xD

I'll try and use the gather chat, though so far its displaying your messages, but not mine.... and upon refreshing they disappear.
When I press Enter, it comes up with that little loading bar but then doesn't do anything...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 08:27:29 am by thegrandmaster »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2010, 08:27:31 am »
I'll try and use the gather chat, though so far its displaying your messages, but not mine.... and upon refreshing they disappear.
When I press Enter, it comes up with that little loading bar but then doesn't do anything...

Yes it needs a lot of work and there isn't scrollback (viewing previous messages). Think of it like IRC with logging turned off.

The loading bar is actually the gather statuses being refreshed every 5 seconds.

edit: okay this chat is by far the buggiest thing I've ever created ever.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 08:30:44 am by jrgp »

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2010, 08:34:30 am »
Ahh I see. xD
Are you able to see your own messages when you post them?
I've seen a few of yours but none of mine... is it the other way around at your end?

EDIT: Ok... it worked... for a few seconds... until I tried refreshing the page.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 08:36:53 am by thegrandmaster »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2010, 08:36:53 am »
Ahh I see. xD
Are you able to see your own messages when you post them?
I've seen a few of yours but none of mine... is it the other way around at your end?

It's somewhat random.

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2010, 08:47:01 am »
It had lag on showing my new messages, none of yours came up, then when it got to the bottom of the page, the typing box just... vanished xD
I have a few minute delay updating all the messages...

EDIT: Are you still posting, or are you just gonna leave it as is for the moment
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:07:26 am by thegrandmaster »

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2010, 09:11:57 am »
EDIT: Are you still posting, or are you just gonna leave it as is for the moment

I am still posting and I'm recoding part of it. The vanishing box thing should be gone.

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2010, 09:29:08 am »
Attachments...
Seems when you enter enough text to fill it, it seems too wide for the page to stay as it is...
(I'm using Chrome btw)

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2010, 09:33:30 am »
Attachments...
Seems when you enter enough text to fill it, it seems too wide for the page to stay as it is...
(I'm using Chrome btw)

hmm that's a chrome thing. Firefox seems extremely instant and it doesn't move when you add a ridiculous amount of text. (I just tested chrome and it did what you described)

Offline jrgp

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2010, 09:39:32 am »
As you can see from the scrot, firefox and chrome were started around the same time and chrome gets the weird horizontal thing and skips messages. No idea why and I'm looking into it.