Author Topic: ctf_Nuubiaa (Nuubia-Remake)  (Read 6428 times)

DarkCrusade

ctf_Nuubiaa (Nuubia-Remake)
« on: January 05, 2011, 11:48:05 am »
ctf_Nuubiaa

This is an old project of mine which I just felt like releasing for you guys. 751 polygons. Only default scenery has been used. No waypoints have been added. I left the old waypoints, but I doubt the bots will make use of the tunnel.

Note: I deleted the old thread due to Fawksinvasion so it'd be clean.

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
Re: ctf_Nuubiaa (Nuubia-Remake)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 12:20:29 pm »
Ok. I like the new shading :)
The brown fade to black around the edge could be made a bit more subtle.

And you're right... there are lots of bushes in the background.
To me it feels a bit clean/steralised. The poly's seem too neat on top - not grassy enough.
The background sceneries are really really good, just need something more prominant on the green parts imo.

As you'll see in my attachment I have another camper diagram :P
The ones in the pink circles are easier than the original.

Although most of the other camp spots are available in nuubia, the only other one I don't like is the guy in purple, for the people on bravo can use that camping spot to their advantage against alpha.

Apart from those lil things, it looks good!

ADDED: I would also add at least one more spawn point for each team where suggested.
Since campers have direct line of sight for that area for both teams, I think it's advisable to add another spawn there.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:25:48 pm by thegrandmaster »
ohgodwhydidInamemyselfthis. Just call me Grandy.

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 12:55:30 pm »
I'd put bravo flag back in original place.

DarkCrusade

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:00:42 pm »
@TGM:
Thanks for the great critique! The camping is no real problem, because the layout is exactly the same except for the tunnel and the camping spot on the top route which I removed, and there hadn't been much problem with camping in the old Nuubia as well. In almost all cases a single nade can take a camper out, so it's not much of a problem I think, but more testing could tell something different.

People don't like much scenery in front of them, and it'd have required more scenery which wouldn't be default then, so I just left it like that. It's just a matter of taste, and I like the clean look.

I think I'll add the suggested spawns. Good idea ;)

@Smiluu: Yeah, I think I'll switch the spawns again.

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 01:37:37 pm »
In almost all cases a single nade can take a camper out
Heh, yeah. Except first you have to get within range to nade and dodge a carefully aimed sniper bullet. :P

People don't like much scenery in front of them, and it'd have required more scenery which wouldn't be default then, so I just left it like that. It's just a matter of taste, and I like the clean look.
Well, grass is default :D
But anyways maybe it is just my personal taste. oh well.
The bravo flag.. yeeeah I suppose it would make it better being where it used to be.
ohgodwhydidInamemyselfthis. Just call me Grandy.

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 12:22:06 am »
I saw you didn't followed the tutorial I made for you, for this map :(
It's nice to see an old project finaly done. Nice outcome.
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

DarkCrusade

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 12:27:12 am »
I kind of forgot about your tutorial :/ Well, anyway, I don't plan on working on it again if I am not bugged to add waypoints :P Thanks ;)

DarkCrusade

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 06:16:43 pm »
I hope necroposting myself is not a reason for bans. If not, I have everything settled with my new old signature ;)

I will start working on this map again. I will remove the tunnel and fix the polygon count as it is something that bothered me during the creation. Stay tuned for updates!

Offline NamelessWolf

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 01:50:52 am »
I think there's quite a lot work put down in Nuubia to make it balanced without being mirrored. The tunnel looks good, but it provides much more cover in Bravo's base (Bravo spawns and flag are placed on the left on this map, at least in the original) than is available in Alpha's. I think it will be much harder for Bravo than for Alpha to keep all of their base clear like this and therefore I think you should stick to the old Nuubia apart from the looks.

About the "campspot" you removed it's not often used and it probably won't effect gameplay in a major way. However, the change there is will most likely be to the worse, cause people usually don't camp there for long. It's not effective and I do think it's kind of nice to have minor details in a map that aren't used much, because they offer an opportunity to surprise enemies by briefly taking a position which they might not expect someone to use. The spot which used to be there provided versatility.

Looking at the polygon placement I'm also afraid that this map may contain more polybugs than the old version.

Your version is a slight improvement to the visuals though (only slight, because Nuubia actually didn't use to look all that bad). I liked that you used background scenery in the tunnels. When you remove the polygons you added on the left base, maybe instead add such sceneries to the lower passages leading out of each base.
Also, work on polygon placement. Three polygons should not be precisely connected at a place that the player touches. Instead make the polygons overlapping at such situations (I think As De Espada included info on how to do that in his tutorial).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 02:09:00 am by NamelessWolf »

DarkCrusade

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 04:48:41 am »
I am aware of most issues you addressed. The problem I actually encountered was that using multitextures is a pain in the ass in terms of polygon placement. I will add the camping spot again and will simply remove the tunnel, because it is hard to balance. I know why I dropped the project in the first place now that I look at it again.. so many details to work on. Repetitive work is boring! D;

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 01:30:47 pm »
I agree that this map doesn't really need a massive overhaul. :/ Vanilla doesn't look bad, and plays pretty well too. I think you should just take the vanilla version, fix any polybugs that are still there, and add some new sceneries like that tunnel background to low routes on both bases. Aside from that changes aren't really needed and multitexturing this map isn't worth the time IMHO.

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 03:55:43 pm »
my tutorial is still valid haha

DarkCrusade

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 05:03:44 pm »
I have already been playing with the idea of dropping the multitexture and restart again. It is quite annoying to pull off without using tons of polygons and takes a lot of time..

@Espada: Yes, because PW did not change a lot! :P

Offline NamelessWolf

• Soldier
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 02:42:36 pm »
I should add that I think the multitexture was a slight improvement to the visuals, but I agree with L[One]R on the rest. Also, to DarkCrusade, I think it's nice that you listen to opinions about the map and reconsider some things you put in it originally.

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2013, 12:04:30 pm »
This map looks pretty good. Is this just a redesign or are there new polygons added?
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

Offline Adam

• Camper
  • When someone you argue with has a good point.
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2013, 12:45:39 pm »
jesus that map is way too long

Arguing with your girlfriend and you don't get a response for a few minutes

DarkCrusade

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2013, 12:37:14 pm »
@darDar: It's just a visual remake in its current state and nothing will be changed. I am running into issues with removing the multitexture without making the whole map look like crap. I will just remake the remake..

Offline As de Espada

• Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2013, 10:23:10 am »
The screenshot of the first post is not showing. Can you attach it on the forums or use jrgp's soldat mapping hosting site: TMS?

Offline darDar

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • #Soldat Gather - Community on Discord
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2013, 12:50:34 pm »
By the way how comes the remakes didnĀ“t replace the "old" default maps ?
Adding those remakes would make soldat look quite much better.

Really would like to see only those HD maps in future.
Soldat Gather 'Matchmaking Community on Discord'

gather.soldat.pl

| My Maps: ctf_Pyramid, ctf_Replay, ctf_Blako, ctf_R6, ctf_Ntex, ctf_Caro, ctf_Bizar & vs_mode mappack |

DarkCrusade

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2013, 05:44:01 pm »
@Espada: It worked just until today. Dunno what went wrong, but the later posts include an overview. I am not on my PC right now, so that should do for now.

@darDar: I do not know why, but my best guess is that the devs care too little. This -of course- is only an assumption based on the little attention the devs give to remakes. This -of course- could have other reasons.