Author Topic: Small update  (Read 20905 times)

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Re: Small update
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2011, 09:58:52 pm »
I can't even do cannonballs, but it happens to me from time to time too. And no, my hands and fingers are growing from where they're supposed to. But sometimes (especially when I'm on a roll) I still manage to accidentally press up+down and throw the flag. It rarely happens, but when it does happen - it really sucks.

Point is: nobody's perfect, it happens to everyone. An option to disable throw on up+down will prevent a lot of those accidents. Therefore it's needed.

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 09:34:44 pm »
how about "up+down" OR "another key" for flag-throwing?
nobody needs two keysets for one action.
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 09:53:12 pm »
Like I already mentioned in a different thread - simply allowing players to assign key combos instead of just single keys would be the perfect solution.

Offline h1n1

• Major(1)
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 10:19:47 pm »
Why not like this?
Made the flag as a weapon that u can pick every time, even carrying another gun. Do a customizable button to the Flag. Doing it you can pick the flag without a other gun in your hands. Q button switches only primary and secondary weapons and you can set the buttons 1, 2, 3 or other key to hold the flag in your hands. Like a fishing rod hahaha. Sucess!
I really hate key combos for flag throwing.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 10:22:18 pm »
This would make the process of throwing flag much much slower, since you would have to switch to it before throwing. In most cases you'll just get killed before you even throw the flag.

Offline h1n1

• Major(1)
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2011, 10:32:17 pm »
This would make the process of throwing flag much much slower, since you would have to switch to it before throwing. In most cases you'll just get killed before you even throw the flag.
I guess that you can't think in this idea using  a old condition. The game style will be changed, of course. It sounds to me more dynamic than key combo.

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2011, 10:35:23 pm »
Made the flag as a weapon that u can pick every time, even carrying another gun.
That's how it is at the moment.

Do a customizable button to the Flag.
This is going to be added with the next version.

Doing it you can pick the flag without a other gun in your hands.

Q button switches only primary and secondary weapons

you can set the buttons 1, 2, 3 or other key to hold the flag in your hands.
Makes no sense to have a button to "hold" the flag in your hand. You either have the flag or not. There is no way to hide it somehow. And the only thing you can do is throwing it.

Like a fishing rod hahaha.
For what reason? I want to throw the flag while shooting. I don't need to "hold" it in my hands.

Sucess!
Nope.

EDIT:
I guess that you can't think in this idea using  a old condition. The game style will be changed, of course. It sounds to me more dynamic than key combo.
You don't get it. There will be the possibility to throw the flag with only one button. No need for a key combo. But still: The flag doesn't have anything to do with the weapons.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:40:09 pm by Illuminatus »

Offline h1n1

• Major(1)
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2011, 10:48:08 pm »
Only one button? Hmm. good.
Thanks by the explanation.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2011, 10:51:24 pm »
A short history lesson:
Ever played the original Counter-Strike? Or Quake 2? In those games grenades were a separate weapon. In order to throw a grenade - you first had to switch to it, and only then throw. Grenades weren't commonly used. At least not in a fast-paced battle. They were slow to deploy, rare, and not even that powerful. In counter-strike they were only used once at the start of the round, and after that everyone would switch back to guns. In games like Quake you could kill more enemies with weaker guns than with a single grenade due to it's slow "fire rate". In later Quake (and other games) grenades were removed completely. Instead there usually were fast-firing grenade launchers which were kind of like M79 with bouncy projectiles. Grenades were often left out.

Then a few games came out, where you didn't have to switch to grenades to throw them. FarCry and Halo for example. Grenades became easy to use and became a great weapon even in fast-paced battles. Everyone could run behind cover, lob a grenade in a window or around the corner and keep running and shooting. In older games you'd be long dead when trying to switch to grenade, throw it, then switch back to your weapon. But with one-button grenades gameplay became much more dynamic. Ever since Halo came out I don't remember seeing a single game that had grenades as a separate weapon.

I know we're not talking about grenades. We're talking about flag throw. But what you're suggesting is basically the same as switching from one-button grenades back to separate-weapon grenades like in old times. You're saying it should make gameplay more dynamic, but unfortunately the effect would be exactly the opposite.

Offline RafiPZ

• Soldier
  • You can't spell awesome without ME!
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2011, 11:24:33 pm »
Yeah I only attempt to throw the flag when I'm almost dead. If I had to switch to the flag and throw it I'd be long dead, making the whole effort useless.

Offline croat1gamer

• Veteran
  • OMG CHANGING AVATAR!!! ^ω^
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2011, 12:44:15 am »
Soldat is way too fast paced to actually accommodate a option like that.

Basically, what loner said.
Last year, I dreamt I was pissing at a restroom, but I missed the urinal and my penis exploded.

Offline Furai

• Administrator
  • Veteran
    • TransHuman Design
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2011, 06:40:08 am »
When you mentioned those other games mad idea came to my mind - add grappling hook for ctf. :D
"My senses are so powerful that I can hear the blood pumping through your veins."

Offline Majoman

• Major(1)
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2011, 05:42:57 pm »
Just some stuff we have done so far:
- Removed Aimlag
- Removed portal
- Updated server to work with client and refixed bugs 2.6.4 -> 2.6.5
- Fixed fps limiter to work correctly
- Added flagthrow button(up/down still work)
- Fixed the new polytypes to work correctly
- Added hardwareids
- Fixed numerous other minor bugs and glitches and speeded up different routines etc.

Probably missed a lot but if so the other devs can fill in.

Hello,
in all respect to you, programmers, people who can do stuff I'll never be able to do, this is not what I've been hoping would be done in 1.5.1. I understand forums.soldat.pl community is more of a public playing nature, but if it's the course you, the new programmers of this formerly promising game have taken, then every sane player should abandon this game right away without carrying on his high hopes anymore.
I've already asked about this on #soldat.devs without being answered. I've been just told you're working with the 1.4.1 version and not the 1.5.0 one for some reason. What I've asked was: [18:34:11] [Majoman] "Hey guys, I've just read the small update @ soldat forums. Can anyone confirm the netcode will stay untouched in 1.5.1?"
Now to the point. Hit registration. Does seriously anyone of you see any bigger problem in soldat than this? New button for flag throwing as a first thing that's done? Seriously? Fixed new polytypes, eh what? Removed aimlag and portal (I do know nothing about coding, but does it take more effort than selecting the lines of code you want to remove in order to delete some feature?).
Now to why public player won't ever understand why is the so called eat so annoying to us, who play soldat competetively. You totally don't care if your enemy makes a cap after getting boosted by your grenade instead of being killed. You just play soldat to spend 15 mins of your free time. Us, who play soldat to actually become skilled enough to win prestigeous leagues, conquer the hearts of beautiful women and maybe even win some money (as it is in the latest 1v1 tournament made by Tinysmurf), play with friends in clan (whom don't really appreciate if you let them down by letting the enemy take the flag even though you've hit him with your nade/bullet/knife/anything) do consider eats as quite annoying. Not even mentioning it's making a cw between an European and Australian clan barely playable.
So, for how long do you plan to leave the netcode untouched? Or better, are you even planning on rewriting it?

Offline zakath

• Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2011, 06:03:56 pm »
Just some stuff we have done so far:
- Removed Aimlag
- Removed portal
- Updated server to work with client and refixed bugs 2.6.4 -> 2.6.5
- Fixed fps limiter to work correctly
- Added flagthrow button(up/down still work)
- Fixed the new polytypes to work correctly
- Added hardwareids
- Fixed numerous other minor bugs and glitches and speeded up different routines etc.

Probably missed a lot but if so the other devs can fill in.

Hello,
in all respect to you, programmers, people who can do stuff I'll never be able to do, this is not what I've been hoping would be done in 1.5.1. I understand forums.soldat.pl community is more of a public playing nature, but if it's the course you, the new programmers of this formerly promising game have taken, then every sane player should abandon this game right away without carrying on his high hopes anymore.
I've already asked about this on #soldat.devs without being answered. I've been just told you're working with the 1.4.1 version and not the 1.5.0 one for some reason. What I've asked was: [18:34:11] [Majoman] "Hey guys, I've just read the small update @ soldat forums. Can anyone confirm the netcode will stay untouched in 1.5.1?"
Now to the point. Hit registration. Does seriously anyone of you see any bigger problem in soldat than this? New button for flag throwing as a first thing that's done? Seriously? Fixed new polytypes, eh what? Removed aimlag and portal (I do know nothing about coding, but does it take more effort than selecting the lines of code you want to remove in order to delete some feature?).
Now to why public player won't ever understand why is the so called eat so annoying to us, who play soldat competetively. You totally don't care if your enemy makes a cap after getting boosted by your grenade instead of being killed. You just play soldat to spend 15 mins of your free time. Us, who play soldat to actually become skilled enough to win prestigeous leagues, conquer the hearts of beautiful women and maybe even win some money (as it is in the latest 1v1 tournament made by Tinysmurf), play with friends in clan (whom don't really appreciate if you let them down by letting the enemy take the flag even though you've hit him with your nade/bullet/knife/anything) do consider eats as quite annoying. Not even mentioning it's making a cw between an European and Australian clan barely playable.
So, for how long do you plan to leave the netcode untouched? Or better, are you even planning on rewriting it?

As the problems with hit registration are in the model of the netcode, there wont be anything significantly done to this in 1.5.1

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2011, 07:19:02 pm »
I've been just told you're working with the 1.4.1 version and not the 1.5.0 one for some reason.
According to Shoozza they are using v1.5.1.12. Working with v1.4.1 wouldn't make much sense imo since it's ~3 1/2 years old.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2011, 01:21:48 am »
@Majoman
We've all been waiting for 1.5.1 for way too long and want it released already. Thats why most changes are small additions, tweaks and relatively easy fixes. If the devs were to start fixing the "big stuff" like netcode - we can only wonder how many more years it would take. Right now I'd say the devs are just "setting up the stage" for when real development starts.

As for which version the devs are using - I believe it's 1.5.1.15. Well, definitely 1.5.1.1something, which is one of the latest betas.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 01:49:15 am by L[0ne]R »

Offline zakath

• Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2011, 04:19:52 am »
Server = 2.6.4
Client = 1.5.1.12

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2011, 03:07:51 pm »

If you've been following along, the new group of developers are just taking possession of the Soldat code.  As it was given to them, the soldat server and soldat client were not feature compatible.  The devs are taking their time to do 1.5.1 properly - that is get used to the code, fix bugs that they can, make some minor changes --- and get it out the f'n door.  I'm sure they fully intend to address bigger bugs, features and issues as you've shown interest in, but it just isn't feasible for 1.5.1

Be patient.  Soldat is in a good place now with a group of capable developers who can maintain and improve it in cooperation.  You're asking them to take on major components of the game without letting the dust settle first.

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2011, 07:29:48 pm »
About hardware id's, in punkbuster they can be spoofed. Make sure that cannot be done in soldat.
Nothing can't be spoofed. Hope that helps.
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2011, 08:05:25 am »
What Soldat actually needs right now is a decent anti-cheat system(not mentioning all the good suggestions that has been posted in Suggestions board)

Im chill like that