Author Topic: Search server by name  (Read 1153 times)

Offline Polifen

• Soldier
Search server by name
« on: January 17, 2011, 04:36:40 am »
Yeah, we as a climb community were fighting for climb as a gamemode quite a long time ago. Now when we have a cool new dev team I'd like to ask if it's possible to add a search function in Soldat's server browser ( lobby ). I'd see that as an simple TEdit in filter's menu, and a simple if MaskCheck('*'+Edit1.text+'*', Server_Name) then show else don't show. That would help not only for climb, and it's damn easy to implement. Whole menu could be rewrote, but that's too big to do it now IMHO.

Edit: Also there could be and TEdit for map name filter.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:42:26 am by Polifen »

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
Re: Search server by name
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 04:53:01 am »
It probably is an easy thing to add, but really - the whole lobby screen should be completely revamped and its elements rearranged, which is a whole lot more work.

So if the dev team decides to implement this feature - they might as well consider making it a part of a larger update - a server lobby redesign. It would take longer, but it would definitely pay off.

Offline Polifen

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 04:56:52 am »
For now we want 1.5.1 as fast as possible, so remaking all manu could be a 1.6 or 1.5.2 job. Searching by server/map name is enough for now.

Offline KYnetiK

• Camper
  • Something Else
    • KYnetiK ART
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 07:20:10 am »
Hasnt this been suggested 9000 times before? Maybe more...

If I remember correctly, I read in an update that a lot of the UI systems were being rewritten in a less obscure language so that they were more plastic and adaptable. This is the great initial step which will make tidying up the UI that much easier. The design process itself is actually the hardest bit, especially when every idea hasnt been fully explored elsewhere in the game yet. Once all upgrades and features are collated and the mechanics are built in, then it is time to make a pretty UI. Until then, we surely would have a couple of bug-fixing+feature-implementing versions to go yet...
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn’t work that way. So I stole a bike and then asked for forgiveness.

[Barret]  /  [saw]
*Shakes Fist*

Offline homerofgods

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • We can do better!
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 09:48:19 pm »
Do something for the climbing comunity willya :) suggested 9000 times before?, maybe it's about time.

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 11:12:10 pm »
Question is: How does the lobby know which servers are climb-servers? Looking for "climb" in the servername would be stupid. Also climb-maps could be played in several gamemodes. So filtering for only one mode doesn't work too.
One idea would be to create a special gamemode for it to identify them correctly. Call it "Mod", "Modemode", "Sports" or whatever. And every server who uses some modded special modified gamestyle would use this gamemode. So everything like climbing, volleyball, racing, zombiematches, heavily scripted servers (Hexer and stuff), gravity servers, etc.
Of course there would be more to think of because some of these rely on certain gamemodes:
- volleyball needs a flag
- zombiematches usually don't have one
- climbingmaps sometimes use ctf-flags and sometimes inf-flags
So the new gamemode would need support for all these possiblities which makes it quite hard to specify it.

Maybe it would be easier to just add a new option to "Soldat.ini". Something like "Modified_Server=1". This would allow the lobby to sort and filter these servers. Of course every server-owner would need to manually set this option to 1 if he uses his server for climbing or stuff. This approach would be no big hassle imo and quite easy to implement. And the servers could still use the gamemode which fits the best.

Why I'm actually suggesting this? Because I don't play those modded modes usually. And having the possiblity to filter them would satisfy both parties: Me, as a default-mode player, would not need to skim through all the different servers and the modified-mode players could directly find the servers for their needs.

But I think this goes to far here and would need an own thread actually. :-\
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 11:17:04 pm by Illuminatus »
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 01:58:17 am »
Instead of "modified server on/off" I think there should be a way to specify the gamemode itself. You could choose from defaulf ctf/dm and such, or you could enter your own gamemode name.

Offline Polifen

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 03:38:55 am »
Searching for "climb" in server's name would give you all climb servers for sure ( TMS, SNI and Stuffy's, Zabijaka's and all other have "climb" in the name ), there could be a problem with Miracle Mod ( as it's sometimes just MMod ), you'd have to search twice. Still, I suggested it as a really small update ( as we want 1.5.1 come as fast as possible ) it's max 3 lines of code + 2 clicks to create TEdit.

Idea with "mod" setting is OK, but it'd need changes to lobby, client and server, my idea is just client-side. BTW: climbing is ALWAYS CTF and Volleyball use nowdays mostly knife and not flag.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 02:46:04 pm »
Maybe if you ask jrgp nicely, he can add search by name to http://soldat.thd.vg/en/lobby as a backup in case it doesn't get added to the client for a while.  I'm sure it wouldn't take him long if he's willing to do it

Offline Illuminatus

• Camper
  • ...soldat-freak since 2004...
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 02:53:21 pm »
Or you just press [CTRL]+[F] there, type climb and find them that way.
No difference between man and mouse - both end up in pussy.

Offline FliesLikeABrick

• Administrator
  • Flamebow Warrior
    • Ultimate 13 Soldat
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 03:01:24 pm »
Or you just press [CTRL]+[F] there, type climb and find them that way.

Yep that of course works.  The main benefit to having "search by name" functionality there would be so you can type "climb" and get a list of climb servers (that have it in the name at least)