Author Topic: 16:9 resolution change  (Read 22084 times)

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
Re: 16:9 resolution change
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 03:53:45 pm »
Poop can you edit the OP to include a poll for who has 4:3/16:9/16:10 monitors to get an idea of what audience we should be targeting here

also 16:10 superiority

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 03:59:15 pm »
Poop can you edit the OP to include a poll for who has 4:3/16:9/16:10 monitors to get an idea of what audience we should be targeting here
That probably won't work, here's why:
1) Like I said, I have a 5:4 monitor, but I still much prefer playing in widescreen resolution, so my vote wouldn't tell the devs anything. Same might go for other voters.

2) Soldat Forums consists mostly of competitive/league/gather players and just hardcore fans who are used to the game as it is now and don't want it to change. For accurate vote results we'll also need more casual players to take part in it, which isn't going to happen for reasons you probably know yourself.

Offline Veritas

• Camper
  • Waco
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 04:09:22 pm »
how does a poll saying "I have X size monitor" not work
DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 04:13:30 pm »
It won't say anything about what players actually want.
"What I have" does not equal "What I want"

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 04:18:54 pm »
Screenshot from the possible "limit aim" solution to the problem:

Doing this would give the small advantage of being able to see a bit of what's behind you, but it's a much smaller advantage than the previous one.
...PC vs Mac is like AK47 vs M4A1...
<DutchFlame`> i once heard running runescape in the background gave you a speedboost
<Mr> yes, it allocates more electrons, so there are more electrons available for Soldat -> they are streched less and it is more fluent

Soldat PolyWorks 1.5.0.13 - AimMode - Aim practise gamemode script - Fryer's SoldatStream Mod

Offline Falcon`

• Flagrunner
  • A wanted lagger
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 04:47:33 pm »
Another partial solution that came into my mind is to make 16:10 or 16:9 default and on 4:3 monitors just fill the strips (partially) with interface just by moving it below the game screen. Fair enough for us, fair enough for you.

Though i still say that this does NOT give you that much advantage. Soldat is too fast-paced to notice those differences, maybe except Barret but that's easy to fix (just measure zoom in pixels, not "screens away"). You usually aim at your enemy when he's closer to you than entire screen away (unless you spray) what recounting between resolutions give you not that big amounts of distance. It may be far more noticeable during 1 v 1 leagues as you just focus on killing one enemy, but CTF? I hardly believe it.

However, that's what for RC is. To test it first, judge by yourself and then give good verdict.
If you're not paying for something, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold.
- Andrew Lewis

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.

Offline ExHunter

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Soldier
  • Speedy go!
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 04:58:36 pm »
Please correct me if I'm wrong: but aren't widescreens supposed to stretch only what you can see without widescreens and not to give more "view"?

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 04:59:38 pm »
Please correct me if I'm wrong: but aren't widescreens supposed to stretch only what you can see without widescreens and not to give more "view"?
That's the way widescreen worked before 1.6, but stretched screen looks absolutely horrid.

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 05:53:19 pm »
How about making soldat 16:9 default and disable 4:3?
This way there will be no problems with 4:3 users, sure their screen will look a bit hd for a 4:3 monitor but why not? D:

As time will pass people will get used to 16:9 and enough maps will be made/changed.

I just think that there will be less problems when 4:3 won't exist at all
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline Rayben

• Major(1)
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 05:55:05 pm »
Screenshot from the possible "limit aim" solution to the problem:

Doing this would give the small advantage of being able to see a bit of what's behind you, but it's a much smaller advantage than the previous one.

Nice one

Offline Poop

• Camper
    • SCTFL
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2011, 06:23:24 pm »
If the resolution change will not be a server option, and we are not going back to 4:3, then I am completely in favor of the idea to show the same limited distance forward, and show the extra width behind you.

Good idea whoever came up with that, as fortunately that would not completely f**k up the weapon balance and impact the maps nearly as much.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstien

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2011, 11:33:15 pm »
If the resolution change will not be a server option, and we are not going back to 4:3, then I am completely in favor of the idea to show the same limited distance forward, and show the extra width behind you.

Good idea whoever came up with that, as fortunately that would not completely f**k up the weapon balance and impact the maps nearly as much.
well, you've taken quite a big step in weapon balance, by making everything selfbinkless.
I don't think this "will ruin our balance" will work, since there are so many maps that aren't balanced at the slightest (b2b, dd2, viet). And about the wm you have no idea about.
Imo it's better to allow 16:10 and then adjust for it in the next version (The devs could maybe just release a very small patch, mostly a wm and map patch), than staying with 4:3 forever for no reason other than "you'll break a broken thing".

Offline RemiX

• Major(1)
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 03:34:22 am »
I'm more in favor of no 16:9 resolution period. People already mod there soldat like none other and now some peoples range of view would be better. Even if there view is greater from behind a advantage is an advantage and I don't see why you would purposely give an advantage to a certain group.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2011, 04:02:57 am »
I'm more in favor of no 16:9 resolution period. People already mod there soldat like none other and now some peoples range of view would be better. Even if there view is greater from behind a advantage is an advantage and I don't see why you would purposely give an advantage to a certain group.
there's absolutely nothing that prevents you from using 16:9.
The only reason why it shouldn't be changed is due to map balance and weapons balance.

Offline pavliko

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Camper
  • >‿‿◕
    • Offical TTW Community
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2011, 04:04:05 am »
RemiX that certain group has money to buy 16:9 equipment, they are more than some people who play soldat for free with a cracked reg key :>
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 04:09:28 am by pavliko »
The safest thing to do is jumping out of a plane!

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2011, 05:02:42 am »
The only reason why it shouldn't be changed is due to map balance and weapons balance.
That's entirely false.
The problem is the bars on 4:3 screen but mostly the drastic vertical shrink. Making the gosteks and polygons tiny.
To the point it's unplayable on a 21 inch screen.

Offline zakath

• Inactive Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
    • Soldatladder
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2011, 05:08:42 am »
RemiX that certain group has money to buy 16:9 equipment, they are more than some people who play soldat for free with a cracked reg key :>

ppl who play with a cracked regkey have imho forfeited their right to have a opinion on the game.

#soldat.mapping - #soldat.inc - #soldatladder - #soldat.gather.nordic

Offline ramirez

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Camper
    • Soldat Central
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2011, 05:16:22 am »
The solution Fryer showed fixes the issue with maps being designed for 4:3 as well as the weapon balance issue neatly. There's practically no advantage of having a bit more view space behind your soldier in competitive play. There might a slight advantage in gamemodes like DM where you usually don't just move from one direction to the other, but it's not as big an issue in the first place. Most important thing is that the weapon balance won't be messed up imo.

Offline tk

• Soldier
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2011, 06:10:36 am »
Soldat looks like s**t on panoramic monitor. Ofcourse, you may always change your monitor/gfx card settings so it displays in 4x3 format, however it's uncomfortable. 16x9 support should be added, without any serverside settings.

To compensate the balance issues I suggest something like this: (attachment)

Complete area of displayed map would remain the same.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2011, 06:40:00 am »
That's entirely false.
The problem is the bars on 4:3 screen but mostly the drastic vertical shrink. Making the gosteks and polygons tiny.
To the point it's unplayable on a 21 inch screen.
eh, I played on a 11" ws notebook before, in windowed mode. If you modify your game you'll still be able to see everything, just a bit harder I guess.