Author Topic: Bring climb back!  (Read 5455 times)

Offline Moroes

• Soldier
    • Soldat-Game.eu
Bring climb back!
« on: September 11, 2011, 10:05:19 am »
Hi,
we all(climbers) know the fact,that lot of climb maps are unplayable on 1.6.0.

I looked forward to new polygon types which are great,but we wont give up the bounces and teleports.
Yes,lot of bounces and all teleports dont work.Its like hundreds uncapable maps.

What now?

Its not good to stay on 1.5.0,climbs are gonna slowly die.

Me and some mapmakers tried to fix old way of bouncing to bounce polygon.
Problem is that bounce polygon doesnt behave like old way of bouncing.Its more random and cant be used on every map.
Anyway,who wants to fix hundreds of maps?

Teleports are non-functional too.

Dont revile climb mod.Lot of people love it.
We wish it all back!

Say your oppinions climbers.

LETS RAGE :D

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
Re: Bring climb back!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 02:12:58 am »
My opinion is that the old bouncers should be able to work again, and that the new one should work just as well as the old one, because the new bounce type is a real saver on the amount of polygons used in a map.

Also, polybugs still exist

Also, new bounce polygon should be stretched thin as a teleporter and have bounce power set to 1000% or something. Just suggesting that the new bouncy type can also make teleporters.

Offline Moroes

• Soldier
    • Soldat-Game.eu
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:53:29 am »
Good opinion.I said,its impossible to remake all old maps.So new and old bouncers should work.Old maps will still work and new maps can be done with new bouncer/tele type.Less polygons=less lags...

Offline Prodigyx

• Soldier
    • SoldatX Brasil
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 11:57:42 am »
Bring climb back!

I agree  :)
SoldatX - SX Brasil - www.soldatx.com

Offline Xestor

• Major(1)
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 11:59:24 am »
Let them die slowly!

DarkCrusade

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 12:19:56 pm »
I don't understand why the devs took this out. Did you do it by mistake or intentionally?

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 09:00:00 pm »
to me it's quite obvious why they took it out... it's pretty annoying with bouncy polygons on normal maps (but they are still bouncy -.-).

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 10:33:59 pm »
I don't understand why the devs took this out. Did you do it by mistake or intentionally?
Climbing is based on bugs in the game.

We just fixed "too much".
Now people want us to undo fixes.

The best way would be adding similar behavior for bouncy polies and teleports.
Then make a converter for old maps.
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Polifen

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 12:39:18 am »
I'm pretty sure I've already suggested that somewhere - old maps ( 1.5.0 and older ) are in .PMS format, make a new map parser based on the old one but for .PMSX format, that should be easy - old maps have old bounces ( with the polybugs and all ), new maps have no polybugs but have new polytypes ( including bouncing poly and prehaps teleporter ).

Offline xmRipper

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • Personal
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 01:29:55 am »
I'm pretty sure I've already suggested that somewhere - old maps ( 1.5.0 and older ) are in .PMS format, make a new map parser based on the old one but for .PMSX format, that should be easy - old maps have old bounces ( with the polybugs and all ), new maps have no polybugs but have new polytypes ( including bouncing poly and prehaps teleporter ).
I'm not a climb fan or player, but I liked that idea.
Co-Founder / CTO @ Macellan
Founder Turkish Soldat Community

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 02:12:19 am »
I don't think they change the map format, just how the collision works.

Offline xmRipper

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
    • Personal
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 03:39:13 am »
I don't think they change the map format, just how the collision works.
So old collision system can be used for pms and new one for pmsx.
Co-Founder / CTO @ Macellan
Founder Turkish Soldat Community

Offline smiluu

• Flagrunner
  • Put your farts in my pussy
    • LOLOKAUST MSPAINT PLEASURE POND
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 05:08:12 am »
If climbers wants to be a part of the modern, developed world they should update their favorite maps with the new defined and polished version of the bounce polygon, equipped with the new atmospheric bounce sound. I'm very happy with the changes and see nothing of value lost or a need to compromise, therefor I strictly F11 for further changes.

Offline ginn

• Camper
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 05:25:25 am »
If climbers wants to be a part of the modern, developed world they should update their favorite maps with the new defined and polished version of the bounce polygon, equipped with the new atmospheric bounce sound. I'm very happy with the changes and see nothing of value lost or a need to compromise, therefor I strictly F11 for further changes.
666 posts... you better not post again ;o

Offline Beowulf Agate

• Major
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 05:34:24 am »
Adapt or die.

Offline Shoozza

• Retired Soldat Developer
  • Veteran
  • Soldat's Babysitter
    • Website
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 07:40:58 am »
Maintain two map formats? You don't think we have enough work already :S
Rules
Tools: ARSSE - SARS - SRB - chatMod

Offline Moroes

• Soldier
    • Soldat-Game.eu
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 07:52:06 am »

Good point Poli.Sounds like the best solution.

Offline FATALJoe

• Major(1)
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 10:45:47 am »
I agree. Dont let climbing die, map makers have put to much hard work into it.....what other game modes on soldat have over 2000 maps? it would be a shame to see hundreds of these gone because the devs removed bounces. Shoozza i understand you tried to fix it and i appreciate all the work you put into it but all it looks like is that you removed the useful bounces and kept the bad ones...... On some maps we cant cap because the bounces dont work but we can still be killed by other bounecs that are actual bugs -_- climbing has been around for ages and it cant be dieing now, if it did then i would probably leave soldat. Nuff said :D Oh and devs? i still <3 you
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 10:47:54 am by FATALJoe »

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 11:26:39 am »
I'd like to see bouncing polygons back on climb maps too

Im chill like that

Offline Moroes

• Soldier
    • Soldat-Game.eu
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 11:45:42 am »
I'd like to see bouncing polygons back on climb maps too

You can change back to 1.5 on zabijaka :D.Players wont play there so much because of not working maps.

Offline L[0ne]R

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Rainbow Warrior
  • need a life. looking for donors.
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 01:52:57 pm »
I understand how you feel with many maps of your favorite gamemode being broken, but making devs spend their already limited time to UNFIX the bugs - sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? You gotta move with the times.

If you want maps fixed - you have more than enough people to do it yourself. You can work on fixing climb maps while devs work on fixing the game. I think that's fair enough.

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 02:46:19 pm »

You can change back to 1.5 on zabijaka :D.Players wont play there so much because of not working maps.

Yea I guess I will have to do that tomorrow

Im chill like that

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2011, 06:49:18 pm »
Yea, .pms / .pmsx sounds alright

I'm not really mad, just surprised at the fact that every polybugs other than the bouncy/teleporting ones still exists.

Offline Polifen

• Soldier
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 06:45:41 am »
Maintain two map formats? You don't think we have enough work already :S

Let's see, You should have something like:
Code: [Select]
function ParsePMS(MapName : string) : TMap;
begin
end;
copy that function from 1.5 ( I hope you didn't delete old source, that'd be retarded ), then paste it to the new code as OldParsePMS. Finally
Code: [Select]
procedure OnMapLoad(MapName:string);
begin
if Copy(MapName, Length(MapName) - 4, Length(MapName) = '.PMS' then OldParsePMS(MapName)
else ParsePMS(MapName);
end;

Didn't check the spelling but the code itself should be fine.

Offline McWise

• Major
  • The HiHo is unleashed
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 01:09:53 pm »
I understand how you feel with many maps of your favorite gamemode being broken, but making devs spend their already limited time to UNFIX the bugs - sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? You gotta move with the times.

If you want maps fixed - you have more than enough people to do it yourself. You can work on fixing climb maps while devs work on fixing the game. I think that's fair enough.

^

If there is a climb community to save, it should be capable of fixing the maps, or at least create new working maps.

Offline Polifen

• Soldier
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2011, 03:36:52 am »
If there is a climb community to save, it should be capable of fixing the maps, or at least create new working maps.

That's the problem, climb was always the gamemode that ppl didn't care about. People don't even know how many maps does climb have, I had a server like year ago and it was already over 1500 maps ( not including races ), as far as I know Spotix's server has over 2000, Kalaf's has probably most maps but I don't have FTP access any more. I'm pretty sure that when I had server ( it was the most popular climb server ) climb had more "constant players" than any other gamemode, I had about 2000 entries everyday ( ofc not unique, but it was almost always full ). Now, since we have MSAC and 1.6 climb is almost dead, we can't move to 1.6 cuz it will destroy most maps, we can't use Show Poly that 90% competive climb players used.

Offline deguix

• Major
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2011, 09:30:37 am »
Just do that to a few maps, then release a small map pack. This is also a good time to fix the climbing map naming convention (put like cb_ prefix).

That's pretty much what you can do... I just wish there was an AI that would reproduce the best climb on the map (like a replay except it's an AI doing it, so that you would follow how much time you lost for each section).

Offline Polifen

• Soldier
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2011, 10:20:00 am »
Adding PMSX is a job for max 5 minutes, you'd fix 1/2 map in such time, and you have like 500 to fix.

Edit: I won't answer to the post below cuz it's a provocation to start off topic and flame war. I'd do it, but I have no source.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 12:31:23 pm by Polifen »

Offline McWise

• Major
  • The HiHo is unleashed
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2011, 12:08:01 pm »
Adding PMSX is a job for max 5 minutes, you'd fix 1/2 map in such time, and you have like 500 to fix.

Do it then, I give you even 6 minutes.

Offline Bistoufly

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Flagrunner
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2011, 02:17:24 pm »
So few climbers and climb servers on 1.6.
So many maps broken in 1.6.
 :-\

Could you please do something about this issue?

Offline Blue-ninja

• Veteran
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2011, 11:34:50 pm »
Teleporters are impossible to make

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 09:32:24 am »
I've done some testings and there is a problem. The maximum effective bounciness is 256%, more than that doesn't increase the power.

The bounciness and overlapped polys (at 1.5) ratio is:
256% = 13 polys
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline SergeScyld

• Major(1)
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2011, 10:15:38 am »
I have been a climber for over half a year now, and bounce polys and teleports were awesome when they were active. Even if they wont be brought back the same way, i will still enjoy climbing as long as it exists. Its pretty much the only thing i do on soldat anymore.

Offline Fryer

• Camper
  • Game dev
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2011, 08:03:40 pm »
Some clarification on the matter: Bouncy polygons are not limited to 256%, but there seems to be a limit in Soldat to how fast you can go after being boosted by them. Also, in Soldat 1.5 you would be pushed out from the bug polygons a bit, like a small teleport before the boost. That probably made the bug polygons even more effective.

What will be done about it: Sometime in the future, the map format will be redone, with the addition of real teleporters and other stuff that will make mapping more interesting and fun. Bouncy polygons will probably also be modified to work a bit more like they did with the bug in 1.5, maybe even before the map format is redone. Until that happens, there is a veeery small possibility that a temporary solution will be implemented, involving 0%-bounciness polygons.
...PC vs Mac is like AK47 vs M4A1...
<DutchFlame`> i once heard running runescape in the background gave you a speedboost
<Mr> yes, it allocates more electrons, so there are more electrons available for Soldat -> they are streched less and it is more fluent

Soldat PolyWorks 1.5.0.13 - AimMode - Aim practise gamemode script - Fryer's SoldatStream Mod

Offline Moroes

• Soldier
    • Soldat-Game.eu
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2011, 02:42:00 am »
Some clarification on the matter: Bouncy polygons are not limited to 256%, but there seems to be a limit in Soldat to how fast you can go after being boosted by them. Also, in Soldat 1.5 you would be pushed out from the bug polygons a bit, like a small teleport before the boost. That probably made the bug polygons even more effective.

What will be done about it: Sometime in the future, the map format will be redone, with the addition of real teleporters and other stuff that will make mapping more interesting and fun. Bouncy polygons will probably also be modified to work a bit more like they did with the bug in 1.5, maybe even before the map format is redone. Until that happens, there is a veeery small possibility that a temporary solution will be implemented, involving 0%-bounciness polygons.

I hope I will be still alive when it comes.

Offline As de Espada

• Soldat Beta Team
  • Veteran
  • Mapper
    • My maps
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2011, 12:03:22 am »
Ok this is a temporary solution: bouncyCleaner
All my maps | my latest map: SoldatX Racing Mappack
me making a map on youtube: ctf_FastMade

Offline thegrandmaster

• Flagrunner
    • Grandy on Steam
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2011, 03:39:08 am »
Sounds like we need some of the climb players to make climb maps.
ohgodwhydidInamemyselfthis. Just call me Grandy.

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2011, 08:11:05 am »
bouncyCleaner will remove maps with bouncy polygons from the mapslist thats not a good solution to the problem ASE ;(

Im chill like that

Offline Moroes

• Soldier
    • Soldat-Game.eu
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2011, 08:43:48 am »
bouncyCleaner will remove maps with bouncy polygons from the mapslist thats not a good solution to the problem ASE ;(

At least I can sort out my maps.Then I will delete bad nonbouncy and bouncy maps and maybe fix some of the bouncy maps,but It may be useless,bounces need to be fixed(they are weak) and when it happens I guess the converer will turn up.

Offline poodleinacan

• Soldier
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2011, 07:34:20 pm »
Last time I played Soldat... Well, just go see when I created my profile and it will give you the version that was available...

Soooo, there has been climbing? Seems nice.
After 3 years, I'm back on the forums!

Offline Bonecrusher

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
  • High above
    • Zabijaka.pl
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2011, 06:39:19 am »
Well there was climbing back in 09 too

Im chill like that

Offline poodleinacan

• Soldier